Slipper Pad/Clutch Adjustment Tips?

hoowahfun

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the slipper pad/clutch on the spur gear? My son's is installed per the directions in the BTD kit, but offers no slip whatsoever....so it seems too tight. He's stripped out that spur gear in a couple of chunks. No doubt, from the big jumps he does. Seems like if the slipper was a little looser it would keep the drivetrain a little safer, but don't wanna go too loose either. Thanks.

I've taken teeth off of 2 spur gears from landing on the rear end, so I got a tbr rear bumper to help with that. Might be a good investment for you too.
As for the slipper, with the truck on the ground, grab one rear wheel with one hand, and put the base of your transmitter on the other rear wheel with enough pressure to hold it from moving, and ease on the throttle. The front of the truck should lift a couple of inches before the slipper slips. So if it doesn't slip, loosen it 1/4 of a turn and try again. Just don't do it to many times in a row, it'll heat up the slipper clutch fast. And check the motor temps to. You can set it a little looser then this, but if it slips a lot while driving, it'll heat up and deform the spur gear.
How are you setting the gear mesh? Many people say to use a peice of paper, but to me, that's a little much for 48p gears. For 32p it's fine, but with 48p I go a little tighter then the paper method. Just a little wiggle is all that's needed.

If he's taking out the spur gear when landing jumps, make sure he's not on the throttle when landing. No amount of slipper adjustment (except for perhaps overly loose) will save your gears if he's on the throttle when landing.

Thanks Steve I will try that out.

I'll admit right now, that me and my kids are guilty of hard jumps landing on the back wheels with throttle wide open. I should have known better, but didn't cross my mind that was a bad idea until looking into this after the gear stripped out. Will take some practice learning to land flat with finger off the throttle.

To follow up the previous comments about staying off the throttle when jumping:
Yeah, it's going to take some practice and fine motor control (your fingers-- not the car's motor) to time your throttle properly when jumping. Another thing: increasing throttle will raise the front of the car. Hitting the brake will lower the front. ECX rear-motor cars have more of a rear weight bias than other rear-motor designs so this just exacerbates the tendency to "nose-up" when airborne.

When I raced my Circuit, I'd need to really control the throttle when jumping: A quick tap just as the front wheels were cresting the jump would result in a much flatter trajectory and thus landing. Even a bit of throttle after the jump or in the air would cause the car to nose up and make it very difficult to flatten out the car. I'd have to hit the brakes really hard.

That is what made me go to the 32 pitch gears. You can screw down or tighten the slipper clutch all the way (great for wheelies) and also keep full throttle on jumps and never ever worry about stripping the spur gear. It’s really a kid (or kid at heart) modification. I’ve installed them and it’s been years since I stripped a spur gear.

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the slipper pad/clutch on the spur gear? My son's is installed per the directions in the BTD kit, but offers no slip whatsoever....so it seems too tight. He's stripped out that spur gear in a couple of chunks. No doubt, from the big jumps he does. Seems like if the slipper was a little looser it would keep the drivetrain a little safer, but don't wanna go too loose either. Thanks.

It's often the gear mesh set to loose that ruins the spur gears. If it's too tight the motor runs hotter and to loose, the gears have less contact with each other

I may have to check out the 32 pitch. I was just about to post a question on why I keep blowing through spur gears while on the local hard pack dirt track. I've also noticed that my gear mesh gets bigger and bigger and I really need to monitor that as I play on the course because I can't seem to get the motor to stay in one spot. Also might be time for better lock washers on the motor.

If you jump or race or bash with jumps then you will definitely benefit from moving to the 32 pitch gears. The plastic that the motor mount is housed in flexes and bends slightly when jumping and landing and if you happen to be on the throttle when you land (even slightly), then you will strip your gears. It doesn't matter how tight you get your motor screwed down, the housing will flex. The 32 pitch gears give you extra "meat" for the gears to mesh without being so precise. You no longer have to worry about the paper method, you get it close without being too tight and then screw down the new slipper assembly down all the way and there you go. Instant wheelies and no more stripped spur gears. I did this years ago and have never stripped a spur gear since. And, You can hand the controller to your kids and let them have fun without worrying about throttle management.

If you jump or race or bash with jumps then you will definitely benefit from moving to the 32 pitch gears. The plastic that the motor mount is housed in flexes and bends slightly when jumping and landing and if you happen to be on the throttle when you land (even slightly), then you will strip your gears. It doesn't matter how tight you get your motor screwed down, the housing will flex. The 32 pitch gears give you extra "meat" for the gears to mesh without being so precise. You no longer have to worry about the paper method, you get it close without being too tight and then screw down the new slipper assembly down all the way and there you go. Instant wheelies and no more stripped spur gears. I did this years ago and have never stripped a spur gear since. And, You can hand the controller to your kids and let them have fun without worrying about throttle management.
What spur and opinion are you buying that fits the 1/10 2wd vehicles? I'm running a ruckus with 3400 brushless.

You should be able to land on throttle if the slipper is set correctly, that's what the slipper is for. I'm running mine backed out all the way so that the slipper nut is flush with the end of the shaft, stock out of the box it was set way too tight.

Yes if everything is precise and the gear mesh is set correctly too. These trucks are made for goofing around and having fun not being such a precise machine. Having those 32 pitch spur and piñon gears make it so you don’t have to worry about setting the gear mesh or getting the slipper clutch set just right. It really makes them so much more fun, instant wheel spin and no more stripped gears.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand why someone wouldn't just try to learn how to do something for free rather than spend a bunch of money fixing a problem that shouldn't exist.

Like I think I'm the first person to point out that the slipper is set too tight from the factory on the Amp MT, which means that of the hundred (or whatever) people who bought one on this forum, none of them know how to set their slipper correctly.

What's better to do, figure out how to set it or should all 100 people go out and buy 32p conversions?

I don’t think you sound bad. If you want to tinker with the 48p gears by all means do so. I think that is good to try it. Some people have made it work. But some people can’t and just want a solution. We (the ECX community) have been having this conversation about stripping the spur gear for years. In fact to was a “sticky” thread for the “how to” conversion on the ultimaterc forum years ago. But when you just want a car that works you will eventually try the 32p gears. If you ask me, I think it should be your first upgrade after you strip your first spur. You will get more time playing and less time fixing. If ECX would have made them 32p in the beginning it would have been an almost bulletproof design.

A little tangential but I think the reason why the AMP (or any other ECX car) doesn't ship with 32 pitch spur and pinion is that it would cost too much. All of their 2WD cars use the SAME spur. Makes sourcing and buying parts much easier-- few stock codes is better than more. :)

I raced my Circuit on carpet: ultimate high-traction surface. I used plastic 48 pitch spur gears from Associated and a PLASTIC PINION from 175RC. This was driven by a 13.5t brushless motor. The truck could wheelie from a stop. I also used the stock plastic transmission gears and differential. Never once did I strip anything.

So knowing how to adjust the slipper, experimentation, and driving technique are all key components.

However I won't dispute that 32 pitch spur and pinion would make the 2WD ECX cars more "bullet proof."

I'm truly happy some people figured out how to set the slipper and not have the motor slip or the plastic flex when going over jumps, and learn throttle management too. For the rest of us that kept stripping gears, it was/is frustrating. I remember reading about backing out the slipper nut 2 turns, or listen to it as you accelerate, it should slip for 2 feet and then grab. Geez, I could never hear that. Plus, as the pads wear, you may need to keep adjusting the slipper. Please, consider that some people are trying to have fun and not become a slipper expert. I think it's great to learn to set the slipper correctly, but I couldn't do it and this gives people an option to go to if they are done messing around with stock setup. Especially when you don't have a lot of time perfecting your vehicle and just want to have fun. I bought my first ECX Boost in 2012. I wish ECX would have made the decision to use 32p gears as standard in the very beginning of designing all of their 2wd vehicles. It would have made a better beginner friendly lineup.

I wish ECX would have made the decision to use 32p gears as standard in the very beginning of designing all of their 2wd vehicles. It would have made a better beginner friendly lineup.

You raise good points about having to "chase" the proper slipper setting. On both race cars (TLR 22 buggy and stadium truck) this is a setting that I am constantly paying attention to and frequently adjusting. It's just understood that this is a maintenance item.

But for a "basher" vehicle? I think standardizing on 32 pitch would have been a smart move during the design phase of their 2WD lineup. I remember my Tamiya Grasshopper (in 1986) had 32 pitch spur and pinion. Never had any issues with that transmission!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back