Sort of a newbie here with a charger question.....

skipsmith

Santa got my 10 year old son an AMP Monster Truck Kit for Christmas. I had R/C's way back in the late '80's (The Hornet and The Grasshopper by Tamiya). My question is, after the first initial charge to the battery (9 hours is what the instructions showed) what is the charging time after that? The charger doesn't have and LED's or a timer or anything to let you know when it is charged. Thanks for any responses and I am excited to get back into the hobby with my son.

Last edited:
Santa got my 10 year old son an AMP Monster Truck Kit for Christmas. I had R/C's way back in the late '80's (The Hornet and The Grasshopper by Tamiya). My question is, after the first initial charge to the battery (9 hours is what the instructions showed) what is the charging time after that? The charger doesn't have and LED's or a timer or anything to let you know when it is charged. Thanks for any responses and I am excited to get back into the hobby with my son.

It will take about that long every time if you run it to near dead. It's definitely worth the cost of a better charger. I got a Venom Sport ac charger for I believe $34.99 that can charge both Nimh and LiPo batteries in around 2 hours. It's been keeping up with all 3 trucks at my house no problem. I'd highly recommend it.

@MnWade is correct. If you ever want to calculate charge times, assuming running until dead, divide your capacity of the battery by the output of your charger.

So, for your Amp:

1800mAh capacity / 200mA output = 9 hours

It will take about that long every time if you run it to near dead. It's definitely worth the cost of a better charger. I got a Venom Sport ac charger for I believe $34.99 that can charge both NiMH and LiPo batteries in around 2 hours. It's been keeping up with all 3 trucks at my house no problem. I'd highly recommend it.

If I want to make the switch to LiPo to increase run time, would this be a great combo to get? I would also need to pick up a voltage alarm as well, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-5000mA...949985&sr=8-7&keywords=Venom+Sport+ac+charger

I can tell you I really like the charger. I have almost no LiPo experience so I'll leave that subject. I do have a few Venom NiMH batteries and I like them so far.

For just $10 more you can get a charger that will charge practically ANY kind of battery from an AC source: LiPo, LiFe, LiHV, NiCd, NiMh, even your real car's battery! And the LCD screen provides more information about what's going on with the charger and your battery. Voltage and current are fully configurable and there are also presets (like auto balance charging, etc) that make charging easier.

I have the HiTec X1 Mini and it's FANTASTIC. $45 at Horizon Hobby. I also have the X1 AC plus (it will also charge from a DC source... like your car's battery).

For just $10 more you can get a charger that will charge practically ANY kind of battery from an AC source: LiPo, LiFe, LiHV, NiCd, NiMH, even your real car's battery! And the LCD screen provides more information about what's going on with the charger and your battery. Voltage and current are fully configurable and there are also presets (like auto balance charging, etc) that make charging easier.

I have the HiTec X1 Mini and it's FANTASTIC. $45 at Horizon Hobby. I also have the X1 AC plus (it will also charge from a DC source... like your car's battery).

I'm going to need to add a second charger soon. This looks like a great option!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back