Spin right round,

Tiagobraga519

I've been working on this AMP DB for a few months now, the over steer is killing me, how do you guys tackle this issue? In a straight line it hooks up like a dragster but, I have to corner awful slow. Outside of weight, what else can I do to make it handle better, specs in photo description but it's a sidewinder3 and racestar 3660kv from banggood. 7.4v,35c, 67km/h. Does wheelies on asphalt in the rain but even on a hot day running pro line bowties I keep spinning out. Anyone racing buggy class?

Anyone else race?

Attachments

• 15222019066151140237144.jpg
    15222019066151140237144.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 13
I've been working on this AMP DB for a few months now, the over steer is killing me, how do you guys tackle this issue? In a straight line it hooks up like a dragster but, I have to corner awful slow. Outside of weight, what else can I do to make it handle better, specs in photo description but it's a sidewinder3 and racestar 3660kv from banggood. 7.4v,35c, 67km/h. Does wheelies on asphalt in the rain but even on a hot day running pro line bowties I keep spinning out. Anyone racing buggy class?

Anyone else race?
What type of terrain do you run on?

I think what you are referring to is "understeer" where the car is lacking in steering traction and "pushing" in corners (won't make tight turns under power/speed).
I spent plenty of time setting up my Boost and Circuit to race indoors on carpet and astroturf. The Circuit is the same chassis as the AMP cars and they ALL have a severe rear weight bias. Okay for loose/dirt surfaces but pretty awful for high-traction surfaces.

First thing is tires-- tires are very important. You mention asphalt, but one tire won't to it all. WHere else are you driving?

Then you need to address weight transfer. What's happening is too much is being transferred to the rear of the car under power or acceleration-- it's just making the tendencies of the car even worse. This can be addressed, in order: softer springs in the front; stiffer springs in the rear; more viscous oil in the rear

Unfortunately there's only so much you can do to the car. A large part will be learning the car's quirks and changing driving style.

Also try moving the rear camber links to a hole out further(there’s two on the hubs and two right by the out drives for the tranny they should be right in front of it but you have to remove the tranny to access these. You will want turnbuckle links/adjustable camber links. Twist the link to compensate for the negative camber that was added from moving links to different holes. Traxxas makes some that fit all you have to do is measure existing camber links and match them up with some at your LHS.

Camber adjusting:
Longer links will give the car more chassis roll and will tend to work better on higher grip surfaces and the car will usually accelerate/square up better.

Shorter camber links will give the car less chassis roll and will tend to work better on looser tracks.

The camber settings also apply to the front of the car.

And if you read this far...
Your car will always handle better if you have the right tires. Packed clay: I like super soft compound it doesn’t like to swap ends on me going around corners.
Pavement: probably something a little stiffer but I have never heard of such a class where people race off road 1/10 buggies on a pavement track so it will be very difficult to find stiffer compound tires for buggies.

Crawler tires ( the softer the better), softer rear springs or remove preload clips, and install a gyro( set in middle to start)... My driving style hasn't changed although I'm learning the vehicle and it literally made me look like I went from amateur to advanced just by changing those items.. night and day performance

Would that set-up help my buggy from spinning around on take-off on loose dirt and gravel? I have soft tires w/o inserts on the rear and soft tires with inserts on the front. But I still spin out cornering at full throttle. I am learning to let off a little before corners but now it drifting and I lose traction.

I race 2wd buggy and stadium truck. It's impossible to take a turn/corner at full throttle with a 2wd vehicle. You need to brake well before the turn, coast off throttle or feather the throttle thru the turn, and get back on the throttle once you're 3/4 - completely thru the turn. If the turn is a big sweeper, usually half throttle or so and steering correctly.

Tires are the biggest factor in traction. What type of dirt/terrain are you driving on? If you have the wrong tires for the terrain then you're screwed. You won't get traction no matter what you do.

How tight is your slipper clutch? Perhaps loosen it a 1/4 turn on the looser dirt and drive it to see how it reacts. You might have to play with loosening it a bit more until you find a good setting.

Latest posts

Members online

Back