Spur gear

Arrowsrus

I am replacing the stock spur gear with a metal one. Should I use a little grease on the new one or not?

Do not grease your spur gear. It will attract dirt and cause binding. 48p is absolutely fine as long as the mesh is proper, not to mention you’ll have more gearing options to fine tune.

Its OK if you put a couple of drops of deferential lube on the spur, will keep it quite as hard steel spurs and pinions are loader then plastic.
When you go to the hard steel spur be sure that the pinion is also hard steel. If you run hard steel spur and soft steel (mild steel) pinion you will strip the pinion gear in a few runs. Its important to run the same Rockwell (hardness)

I run a 48p with my Castle SCT on 3S and I run it hard - NEVER stripped a spur gear, even with a tight slipper. Went steel as a precaution and it’s quiet as a mouse ... if properly meshed. I also run 48p on my custom crawler. Ran 32p on my 17lb nitro Savage that spent more time in the air than on the ground but I can’t see a reason to run 32p in a 5-6 lb truck on 2/3S. And I would seriously advise against putting any type of lube on spur/pinion gears - it WILL attract and collect dirt and it WILL cause binding. This isn’t scientifically proven, just passing on my personal experiences from the past 20 years in this hobby. Feel free to take my advice or we can simply agree to disagree. Good luck either way.

Did it do any damage to the bearing seat on the motor mount? I have had that happen to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Back