Spur gears for ECX

talktochad

Are there any spur gears out there, other than hot racing or ECX, that will work on these trucks? Something a LHS would have in hand?

Team associated. You just need to make the center hole slightly bigger. Use a drill bit and drill. "slightly" is the key word, don't go to big and drill it slow. I would use the next size bit larger from existing home size, then each increments in larger size bits, till you get to the size needed, then push through to the smooth part of the bit to get rid of any imperfections on gear.

I'll second that. I used a 5.2mm drill bit (can't remember what that was in fractions of an inch) and it was PERFECT. Just don't overdo it. The spur doesn't need to spin freely, just needs to slip easily if you turn with your finger. Once you clamp it down with the clutch assembly you're be ready to go.

What size or pitch are these additional. Spur gears. I'm looking to make my 2wd torment faster for bashing

48 Pitch. Stock torment I know has a 87 spur and maybe a 20 pinion. There are numbers stamped on gears, or count the teeth. I have changed out the pinion a while back, so can't remember stock. Here's some info;

Low Gear (or high gear ratio):
-Smallest pinion, largest spur gear.
-Fast, punchy acceleration, lower top speed.
-Usually less strain / heat on the ESC and motor.
-Longer run times from a single charge, fast pull away, but easier to control at top speed.

High Gear (or low gear ratio):
-Largest pinion, Smallest spur gear.
-Slower acceleration, higher top speed.
-Easier to pull away due to slower acceleration which can mean more grip (less spinning out) on some tracks.

48 Pitch. Stock torment I know has a 87 spur and maybe a 20 pinion. There are numbers stamped on gears, or count the teeth. I have changed out the pinion a while back, so can't remember stock. Here's some info;

Low Gear (or high gear ratio):
-Smallest pinion, largest spur gear.
-Fast, punchy acceleration, lower top speed.
-Usually less strain / heat on the ESC and motor.
-Longer run times from a single charge, fast pull away, but easier to control at top speed.

High Gear (or low gear ratio):
-Largest pinion, Smallest spur gear.
-Slower acceleration, higher top speed.
-Easier to pull away due to slower acceleration which can mean more grip (less spinning out) on some tracks.
Is there any other spurpose gear available or some to modify

Is there any other spurpose gear available or some to modify
Hi Batone76, I just found out today. after upgrading my torment to a Brushless 3660 4300kv, Initially left the original 87t with a 23t bore, bit after destroying my slipper clutch, went to a local hobby shop and found the hobby works spur HWC-60222 is 81t 48p, and the pads. It leaves the perfect room for a bigger pinion, so I went 81/25 not bad at all. No modifications at all just install them. It is ridiculously fast, I got 82km/h today with 2s lipo and Willies at any time. I reckon with 3s would be undrivable!! lol..

Last edited:
Just clarity. You have the pinion for the larger shaft on motor? The size of 5mm is not the normal/standard size pinion gear shaft size.
It really don't matter to me, just want it to be clear for others.
Thanks for the feedback.

Just clarity. You have the pinion for the larger shaft on motor? The size of 5mm is not the normal/standard size pinion gear shaft size.
It really don't matter to me, just want it to be clear for others.
Thanks for the feedback.
Hi Mate, yes 3660 motors come with a 5mm shaft. Cheers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back