Stock AMP Really Waterproof?

netmatt

Was going to run my new AMP today, since it got dark yesterday, and now its raining :mad:

It says waterproof, but just want to make sure how waterproof this has been from real owners?

Also, if so, is there a "best practice" for cleanup and storage after running around in wet grass, mud and such? (hose it down, and hang it to dry?)

Was going to run my new AMP today, since it got dark yesterday, and now its raining :mad:

It says waterproof, but just want to make sure how waterproof this has been from real owners?

Also, if so, is there a "best practice" for cleanup and storage after running around in wet grass, mud and such? (hose it down, and hang it to dry?)
It really is. But dry it off as much as possible when done. Lightly oil the hubs and any moving parts that would rust. After you clean it. But it will be fine if you dont. Mine seen snow and mud. Yes you could hose it..but light pressure nothing extreme. Also make sure its off if you do. Let it dry as long as possible. I have left them in shower and made wife mad lol. Just treat them with common sense. Running in a little water/wetness wont hurt. But its not a boat ?.

Last edited:
Worked like a charm! A lot of wet grass and puddle running!

IMG_20200429_183025_resized_20200429_063633711.jpg IMG_20200429_183101_resized_20200429_063633119.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun. Sorry quick tips. Dry off the plug battery to Esc as fast as you can and pull battery from the rig. Batteries can be pissy. Never touch the connectors wet. Same as you wouldnt plug an extension cord in the rain lol.

Bearings dont like the water either. I took all my bearings and repacked them with marine grease. It'll add some extra resistance, but prevents them from rusting away. Another good idea is to lightly mist it with a silicone spray after you clean it. It'll prevent the screw heads from rusting and also helps keep the plastics flexible. One more thing to do is to seal the holes in the rims, and vent the tires. This way any water that gets into the foams will fling out when you spin the tires fast.

Thanks for the tips!

As I was cleaning this off, I realized that a nice little air compressor may be helpful to blow the junk and water out of car. Too many little nooks and crannies to clean out. I've got a compressor, but its a big old dog, that is probably an antique, but keeps chugging along. I probably need to get one of those little ones from HD and set it above my bench. Fathers Day is coming up I guess :)

Anyone use a compressor to clean these out? Any risks?

Thanks for the tips!

As I was cleaning this off, I realized that a nice little air compressor may be helpful to blow the junk and water out of car. Too many little nooks and crannies to clean out. I've got a compressor, but its a big old dog, that is probably an antique, but keeps chugging along. I probably need to get one of those little ones from HD and set it above my bench. Fathers Day is coming up I guess :)

Anyone use a compressor to clean these out? Any risks?

Nope. Compressor...canned air..all good. Used them both. But just more tools to use.

What's a man without too many tools? :p

I think I will put this "Electric Duster" on my Fathers Day wishlist, seems the right size and number of reviews for me! I am sure I can use it for a number of things in the shop/garage.

Yep, that is a future project! Maybe after we break it at least once ;) My next steps are to setup a better storage/bench location for it in the garage, and a "slalom" type track in the backyard. (new thread coming on that)

That little blower tool seems pretty nice. Should work well. One of the reviews the guy complains the air gets hot, but that'll help dry the water even faster. I have a normal air compressor I use, but that looks easier to deal with.

An air mattress pump works the same as that electric duster. I use a small shop vac sometimes, you can get an attachment kit for small electronics plus they're handy for cleaning out your vehicles. Air compressor is what most will recommend, but really you probably already have something at home you can use like a shop vac or air mattress pump. If you keep running in wet and dirty environments plus like to rinse off your RC's you might consider changing to rubber sealed bearings.

Is an Amp MT waterproof?

Yes!

Mine ended up submerged in a river a couple of days ago (driver error) and it drove away quite happily.

I changed the battery immediately, and the aftermarket Low Voltage Alarm went on the fritz but the car its self seems to have suffered no ill effects at all.

Even the Dynamite Reaction LiPo battery survived in tact.

Members online

No members online now.
Back