Switching to brushless! Have some Questions

Smbj91

My motor went out in my 2wd 1/10?ruckus, so I decided to switch to brushless. Has anyone tried the Kinexsis 1/10 4-Pole 4000Kv Brushless ESC/Motor Combo? I was wondering if anyone else has this set up? If so is did it satisfy your needs? Should I get a fan mount for the motor? Just sort of new to the hobby and I want to do it right!! I went ahead and got metal gears/sprocket and some aluminum wheel hexes. Is there anything else I need? Or will this motor tear anything else up I should reinforce?

Nice. I seen that it had one on the ESC. But my concern running a 2 or 3s lipo for an extended amount of time that the motor might get too hot. I don’t want it to exceed 150 degrees. Though I could put a motor fan on it to solve that problem. If it has it lol. Fiddle sticker. I dig it.

I run on 2s on and offroad and it doesn't get too hot. Haven't tried 3s yet as I don't have 3s batteries. The manual says it supports 3s on road, not sure about offroad though.

Ahhhhh good to know. Did you have to upgrade anything else? Drive shafts/hubs/hexes/gears?

I stripped a spur gear the other day so I had to replace that. Only other upgrade I've done is changing the wheel hex nuts from plastic to aluminum. Next up is upgrading the transmission to metal gears.

Last edited:
Nice! I smashed the hell out of mine the other day at the track, one of the wheels broke off. Replaced that part and have it all fixed but one of the screws went the way of the dodo somewhere on/near the track. New screws will be in tomorrow and I just got some SpeedTreads Robber tires for running on the pavement/road out here.

That’s dope. I like speedtreads! I have a few sets of different tires for different situations. Been looking for some 2.8 inch monster truck tires. I got a set of wheels because I wanted to glue them myself but can’t seem to find any I like at my hobby store. All they have are Anacondas. More of a road tire.

At the local indoor fake grass track I run proline badlands on the front and pin points on the rear.

Not sure about that particular motor/ESC but I just installed a Castle Sidewinder 4 with a 5700kv motor. It. Freakin. Flies. I did shred the spur gear in my first outting but that was total user error. I didn’t tighten up the slipper enough. The guy at the LHS had me tighten up all the way. With the new gear it just screams. The biggest need I have now is tires. The stock ruckus tires don’t have any grip at all so it slides all over the place. I have the aluminum hex nuts and I’m not sure if it’s that or the stronger motor, but my back wheels are starting to strip out. Not concerned about it because I have the new wheels/tires coming. Going with the Proline Trenchers. I have not upgraded my diff yet. That part is also on the way but the stock diff is hanging in so far. Just don’t think it’ll last long. Haven’t done drive shafts either but I will soon I suspect. The SW4 comes with a fan so it’s keeping plenty cool. Oh, I also went with a 18T (I think) pinion. I think the stock one is 17T. That adds a little speed also I’m told. I hear with the brushless system the heat is more of an issue with the ESC as opposed to the motor so I think the fan is a must. Especially if you’re going to do 3s. I’m running 2s. Best of luck!

Wow! I heard the sidewinder is crazy snappy!!!! I actually just got the new motor and ESC installed. Everything went smoothly and is working fine. Except I don’t have reverse. I am sure it’s got something to do with programming the ESC and I’m just not doing the right thing. But WOW what a difference. It went from maxing out at like 25-30 mph to pulling wheelies at 50 mph!!!! Crazy! Now I feel like I am gonna shred the driveshafts and Stick spur gear. Went with a 19T pinion. Seems to be holding up thus far!

Attachments

• 3382634E-7AA4-4C17-979F-934BEE20782A.jpeg
    3382634E-7AA4-4C17-979F-934BEE20782A.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 13
  • E3E46DA6-420B-4C6D-95E9-B5F18AAC2150.jpeg
    E3E46DA6-420B-4C6D-95E9-B5F18AAC2150.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 301E86FF-5D01-4922-B1CC-2C4CE34DE456.jpeg
    301E86FF-5D01-4922-B1CC-2C4CE34DE456.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 10
Except I don’t have reverse. I am sure it’s got something to do with programming the ESC and I’m just not doing the right thing.

Correct, there is a setting in the ESC programming. While you're in there, I'd change the LiPo cutoff as well. It's really low stock and I would change it to 3.4V.

See below:

1543498526996.png

The manual for your setup is under Manuals and Support tab on Horizon's page.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/kinexsis-1-10-4-pole-4000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-kxss0501

Yeah I have read it and tried it 20 different times. When it beeps three times I give it full reverse. Then save it after step 5, reset it and still no reverse. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I’ve looked for videos for programming this ESC specifically and came up with nothing.

I actually had this problem yesterday. When powering it on hold down the settings button and release when the green light starts to flash.
A la...
ESC Calibration.PNG

Hmm... When I did it the motor didn't spin up for 3 seconds so I just powered it off and then back on again and I had reverse again. Try holding down the set button before turning on the power.

So hold the set button when I’m turning on power? I was thinking of deleting it completely and starting from scratch. Idk what else it would be lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back