Temper 1/24 backyard playground

i_r_beej

A few months ago my plans to buy another 1/10 car evaporated but I still had the itch to get some sort of 4WD vehicle and I had been eyeing a crawler.

A couple of weeks ago I was hanging around in the back yard with the cats and was trying to figure out what I was going to do with the pile of random rubble in a corner of the yard...

Then it hit me. The perfect excuse to get a crawler. On a limited budget, I immediately thought of the Temper. But which size? I've also been wanting something super-portable that I could drive around hotel rooms, landscaping, etc.

I settled on the 1/24 scale Temper. And so I began building a "rock garden" for the car.

I plan to create a little rock-scape as part of a landscape reconstruction effort after our yard was dug up to replace a failed septic tank.

Anyway, the start of my efforts centered on a couple of concrete slabs: one was still upright and one fallen at an angle. We have a small number of awkwardly-shaped chunks of concrete along with several large rocks that would lay the foundation for the first stage. The ground on our property is really rocky and after our yard was dug up, I managed to fill a wheelbarrow with small rocks so that I could mow the new lawn. There are also (almost quite literally) tons of small, smooth river rocks on our property. (Our entire neighborhood is this way, probably the result of our region once being underwater millions of years ago.) So I have lots of raw materials to create my "crawler garden."

I started placing the rocks to create a path up and over the standing slab.

temper-playground-2.jpg
Here the Temper has just crested the "trail" is preparing to drive off the slab onto the remnants of concrete post anchors (courtesy of the previous owners of the house). I've filled in the gaps with progressively smaller rocks and pebbles. With just a little "tuning" I was able to create a rock feature that offers a few different route possibilities that are challenging for the 1/24 scale Temper but not impossible... if approached just the right way!

temper-playground-2A.jpg

With a few more small rocks and pebbles to fill in the feature on the right of the photo, I'll have a created a small, circular route. At the top of the photo, just out of the frame, is a fig tree. I pland to rough in a path circling the base of the tree with large, partially buried rocks, and then fill in with smaller rocks and pebbles creating something that looks somewhat like a conventional rock garden.

temper-playground-1.jpg

Down at the Temper's "eye level" the moss-covered concrete creates a really cool scale landscape!

So far the 1/24 Temper has been great fun to drive. It's a fun alternative to my racing buggies. Instead of requiring loads of space to allow high-speed driving, the Temper can creep around comfortably in a space the size of a kid's sandbox!

Last edited:
Here's a link to a short video showing the Temper crawling it's way up the 1/24 scale Rubicon. With cats! (Buttercup the cat was enthralled with this clumsy little beast.) I'm controlling the car with one hand and recording video with the other.
Video has no sound.

@i_r_beej that rock crawling course is awesome man. Did you use another course for your idea or come up with it on your own?

Looks like a perfect reason to do some "yard work" in my back yard now. :D

That's a really cool rock garden man. I have a small section of my garden which is cordoned off by big rocks and when I got my (1/10) scaler I was pleasantly surprised at how these random rocks provided all kinds of routes, from easy to line-has-to-be-perfect-or-you're-upside-down.

Yep. I'm already thinking about a larger crawler. Maybe a 1/18 Temper? Axial? :) No hurry though.

Did you use another course for your idea or come up with it on your own?

That's kind of a "chicken or the egg" question. I've seen plenty of photos and videos showing the Temper (and other crawlers) on small rock features like retaining walls, etc and after I got the idea to utilize all the rocks littering our property I started searching the Internet for "backyard crawler course" and the like.

But the germ of the idea was just wandering around the back yard while watching the cats and imagining the Temper trying to scale some of the concrete post anchors. Then I had the "ah ha!" moment. Clean up the yard, deal with the unsightly rocks/boulders and concrete debris, and repair the existing landscape feature. Win-win-win! I generally hate hate hate yard work. So this doesn't really seem like yard work plus I'm extending the Temper's playground a little bit every day! I'll post more photos in a week or so. I'm trying to design something that will work for the 1/24 crawler but also prove fun for a larger scale crawler.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back