The Truckus Gets an Overhaul!

MaX-D

The Truckus or "Big Banana" as my son calls it needed some love. So I updated a few parts. First was the suspension arm mount. There was some play from the hingepins. You could wiggle them back and forth a mm or two, so it was time.

0817202320.jpg

Next were RPM A-arms and c-hubs. What a huge difference these make! I always had to shim both ends of the arm with Traxxas PTFE 0.5 washers (shims). Didn't have to use them with the RPMs. NICE!
0817202249.jpg

Next up was the front camber links. I used Traxxas, which are a little more heavy duty. I wanted to lower my roll center to improve handling and jumping so I needed a longer camber link to attach it at the inside on the shock tower and the outside on the c-hub. I used a regular Traxxas rod end and a longer Jato rod end. Perfect.0818202144_HDR.jpg

New bearings up front and replaced some of the few remaining stock phillips screws with Team KRK stainless screws.

0817202321.jpg0817202251.jpg0818202202.jpg0818202201.jpg0818202209.jpg

That is awesome, sweet build!

What does your camber gain look like? If your camber link is longer than stock it will reduce the camber gain you get when the suspension compressed as you turn. How does it handle with the lower roll center? Was it over steering too much previously? What is the effect you see on jumps?

Any part numbers you have would be great. I am working on an Amp MT 2wd that snap oversteers and struggles to put power down. I need to first get better tires as I think that is the main issue but I am looking for turnbuckles so I can tune roll center, camber and camber gain. I’m interested also in what shocks and springs you went with and what kind of ride height, preload, spring rate and shock oil you run in it.

What does your camber gain look like? If your camber link is longer than stock it will reduce the camber gain you get when the suspension compressed as you turn. How does it handle with the lower roll center? Was it over steering too much previously? What is the effect you see on jumps?

Any part numbers you have would be great. I am working on an Amp MT 2wd that snap oversteers and struggles to put power down. I need to first get better tires as I think that is the main issue but I am looking for turnbuckles so I can tune roll center, camber and camber gain. I’m interested also in what shocks and springs you went with and what kind of ride height, preload, spring rate and shock oil you run in it.
Out of the 12 different trucks that I have, this is the most fun to drive. I run my cambers at 0 or -1. I'm not taking hard, fast corners with this.
This truck understeers on power. Off throttle is fine. I haven't driven it yet. I literally finished it last night at 10pm. I'll be taking it out for a shakedown run tomorrow after work.

I'll have to measure the camber links with calipers as I just had them in my toolbox.

Shocks are Traxxas Big Bores with pink progressive springs (stock?) and 35wt Losi oil on all 4 corners.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/5862

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-arms/front-a-arms/ecx-torment-ruckus-circuit-front-a-arms/

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/...ecx-torment-2wd-ruckus-2wd-circuit-2wd-boost/

I put these on a year ago.

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/...ers-for-the-ecx-torment-ruckus-circuit-boost/

Last edited:
As far as preload goes, I'm running the biggest and the medium sized preload clips on the rear and no preload on the front. I run the front so the a arms are parallel to the ground, and the rear a arms have a little bit of a angle to them. The rear end is sitting about 4 - 5 mm higher. The rear still squats a bit under heavy throttle, but that doesn't bother me. This truck is my wheelie machine if I want it to be.

For shock position on the rear, on the shock Tower it's the middle hole, and the farthest hole out on the arms. Up front, it's the inside hole on the shock Tower and the farthest hole out on the arms.

I run a foam behind the battery and in front so that the battery kind of sits in the middle of the tray. Still gives me some traction out back but still allows for good steering. The truck also jumps pretty level. I may have to tap the break every now and again to bring the nose down and level it out so it lands on all fours, but it's not that often.

The front camber turnbuckles are 50mm. I have a bunch of Jato rod ends. If you want to try the longer camber links PM me with your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you. No sense buying a whole bag.

I forgot, I also added this about 6 months ago.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ec...QH5qUmxWwKqzAdDAR59IjG7P_sAkgFbRoCpKMQAvD_BwE

The front camber turnbuckles are 50mm. I have a bunch of Jato rod ends. If you want to try the longer camber links PM me with your address and I'll drop some in the mail for you. No sense buying a whole bag.

I forgot, I also added this about 6 months ago.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ec...QH5qUmxWwKqzAdDAR59IjG7P_sAkgFbRoCpKMQAvD_BwE

Wow thank you so much for all of this great information. Very generous of you to share with me and the community. You made some excellent points like battery placement that I hadn’t been considering. I will take the time to go through all of this later today and save it all.When I start rebuilding the Amp MT I’ll document and share hoping to add a little to what you have started.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back