tick tick BOOM!!!!

VonDave

Hey guys!
Last Sunday the weather was alright, so me and my oldest son went out with our cars.
2 Circuits, 2 Ruckusses, 2 Torments ans the standard AMP DB. The last one being if grand dad wanted to join in, since we were driving on the field next to their house.
I am really happy about the wheelie bar for the Ruckusses! No more uncontrolled backflips at random, so the job was well done I guess.
So after a while, I noticed that my Circuit wasn't going all that fast on 3s...
Gave it a quick throttle check, and the wheels didn't rotate.
A few seconds after that, we heard a loud -boom- followed by smoke coming from underneath the body.
Yep, the esc decided to BBQ itself...
The motor is still ok, but one less to play with for a while.
So, moving on to the Torment.
Full battery pack drained, no problems.
Then I turned my attention to the AMP, but that lasted shortly. It's still standard (with a 12T brushed motor), so I didn't think using loctite on the pinion gear would be necessary...
Yup, without tools it was a quick game over.
Being stubborn as I am, I decided to put the almost still full 3s in my Ruckus.
All was well,going ballistic as usual, so great fun!
...until...
Yup, that's when my 2nd ecs of the day got fried!

Now I am really starting to wonder about the 3s battery I have...
For a long while, all has gone well, but all of a sudden 2 esc's got fried????
I've hooked the ecs from the Ruckus onto a programming card: Sunday it didn't read anything; all dots were to the left in red.
Today, I just wanted to see again: I could actually program the esc again! However: no response from the motor...
So I guess something really got messed up...

My bet is that I'm best off tossing the 3s. I really have no interest in losing yet another esc!
So I looked at the battery my son is using in his Ruckus, because it seems that that battery has a lot of punch. It's a Turnigy hardcase, ROAR approved 2s lipo. 5200, 5.2, 30C.
The 3S is a ZOP Power. I have had no bad issues with ZOP in the past, but last Sunday was no good day!
I'm hoping my Turnigy batteries will show up soon, as well as the new ecs' I have ordered.
I will keep you posted.

Sorry, but I just had to rant about it, lol!

-Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back