Transforming the AMP MT into..well.. an M.T.

ChazOutlaw

You may have seen the video of me griping about the not-so MT nature of the kits wheels and tires.. I've decided to do something about it.. I have opened a serious can of worms with this project..

100_3013.JPG
100_3012.JPG
A bit overkill maybe, but i've come too far to go back now.
First issue, I only have 3 of these wheels, as the 4th was lost to a warehouse incedent while jumping my Mad Force Kruiser over 3 bunks of hardwood..oops.
Here's a shot of the 14mm extensions, and 12 to 17 mm adapters I used.
hex adapters.jpg
Everything works together..OK. not great, but OK. I had to use my Dremel to cut off all 4 stock stub axles, to make clearance for the adapter bolts. No going back to stock wheels now. Everyone is aware of the sloppy suspension of the 2wd ECX rigs, and this setup magnafies that. The wheels are so wobbly you swear they're going to fall off. not good.
Good excuse for a pile of RPM upgrades. So that's whats next. And then to sort out the power for this short wheelbased beast. I've got an older Mamba Max Pro laying here, and a weird nameless 2600kv 4 pole brushless motor. (looks like a hobbywing) that is 1/10 motor diameter, but a little long in the can, with a heavy duty 1/8 looking shaft. So gearing setup might be a little tricky. Oh and I guess I better get the metal gears for the trans too..lookin like she might need 'em.
will keep ya posted. I have the feeling I'm going to face alot of headaches with this build.

Last edited:
Hopefully your drive train is fully metal and upgraded, cus you will need alot more torque to turn those! haha A tad overkill, as you said, but they look pretty good.

Not sure what driveshafts to use. I need some that use a drive pin, because of the adapters. All the metal ones I've looked at are driving the hex directly by the shape of the axle.. I just got done ordering metal gear set, all RPM Steering parts, front and rear a arms, and alloy rear carriers.
Now I'm playing the waiting game again

got in a shipment to start the build with.. still have to figure out the best way to solve my wheel problemstuff for AMP MT.jpg

Members online

Back