transmission noise

Gschimma

i have two ecx ruckus 1/10 trucks. one trucks transmission suddenly is significant louder than the other. no real change in function. i took it apart simply to see if there was something over and there wasn’t. do the wheel bearing bushings go bad? other ideas?

First make sure there is nothing in the teeth of either the spur or pinion gear. Now does the tranny have plenty of grease in it ? Did you take apart the diff gear and make sure it has plenty of grease in it? You can always put a little oil on the bearings to see if they get quiet as well.

thanks. i took it all apart, side by side with the other truck. didn’t notice any obvious difference, other than one is louder.

make sure the adjustable gear mesh from the motor to the spur gear is set correctly. They shouldn’t be pushed together too tight or it will make noise. Some people use a piece of paper to set the mesh but it’s inconsistent because there’s a lot of paper in this world. Set the gear mesh so there’s a very small amount of play between the teeth. Otherwise check for bad bearings or worn teeth.

Gschimma, are you running the stock brushed motor? Brushed motors are very nosey and no two are alike. You can try and blow out the motor with can air (like you use on computer keyboards) and see if that helps. If you run in dirt or grass (grass not recommend) you might have some debris stuck inside. Running in grass puts a strain on the motor and which means it will run hotter then normal.

so after a lot of comparing the two trucks realized that the spur gear of the noisey truck had some teeth that were mashed. got a replaced. now it’s clear that the transmission gears don’t move well and noticed that some of the teeth of the largest gear wheel in the transmission also has some misaligned teeth. i want to replace that but can’t figure out to take apart the transmission case. ecx 1022

Attachments

• 50D41AC7-5FAC-459A-B160-0F73132A2D10.jpeg
    50D41AC7-5FAC-459A-B160-0F73132A2D10.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 3
so i cleaned up the axle and found a little hex nut that i removed to get the transmission open. switched out the bad gear and put it back together. unfortunately when i put the cases back together and tighten the screws the gears don’t move. don’t get it. everything moves well until yhe cases go together.

Sorry, I see you have the plastic gears. It's really hard to say why it the gears won't turn without looking at it. Something has to be miss aligned or you lost a shim. Maybe the one removable gear shaft isn't seated properly.

So Gschimma, did you totally take out all the gears from the housing? When you remove the differential make sure you put it back in the same way it came out. The screw heads on the differential should be opposite the slipper clutch. The whole unit is really called a differential. I'm curious to know if you are able to put everything back together.

Latest posts

Members online

Back