Upgrade the AMP or get a new truck? Some advice needed, please.

ts2340

I got my son and myself into the hobby by getting him a AMP MT kit for his birthday.. We both loved it and it was a blast to build.. About a month later I got myself a Traxxas Rustler.. Very nice car and faster then the AMP..

I ended up getting a 2S lipo for each of the cars.. That sped them up quite a bit and gave me more run time.. I then got the AMP a new motor, the same one that is in the Rustler (Traxxas 3785 Titan 12 Turn 550 Motor)..

This helped as well.. Well, then the bug got me and I got myself a Arrma Kraton 6S.. OMG.. That thing is the funnest toy I've ever had.. So I gave my other son my Rustler and I drive the Kraton..

When us 3 go out bashing, mine is an absolute BEAST. Almost seems like the other two aren't even moving lol.. I know the Kraton is a different class (1/8 scale - 6S) but wondering if there are upgrades I can make to the AMP to make it a bit funner for my boy.. He loves his AMP but would like it to go faster..

Is going brushless worth it for the money?

Thanks!!

Yes its worth it. I did both of mine, along with steel drive shafts, steel transmission gears, aluminum front casters (prevents the shoulder screws from falling out in a crash) rpm servo savor eliminator and a upgraded servo. All of that makes them real reliable. I also installed emax hinge pins (cut down some) for the rear, the stock ones don't seem to go far enough into the front holder, and pop out at times. Also have an aluminum front bulkhead from a team associate b4. Some 2.8 badlands and now i have some pretty indestructible rigs. You don't need all of that, but the first sentence of upgrades makes a big difference in reliability. Oh and a wheelie bar. The same one for the 2wd rustler can be fitted on the amp with a couple other ecx pieces.

Yes its worth it. I did both of mine, along with steel drive shafts, steel transmission gears, aluminum front casters (prevents the shoulder screws from falling out in a crash) rpm servo savor eliminator and a upgraded servo. All of that makes them real reliable. I also installed emax hinge pins (cut down some) for the rear, the stock ones don't seem to go far enough into the front holder, and pop out at times. Also have an aluminum front bulkhead from a team associate b4. Some 2.8 badlands and now i have some pretty indestructible rigs. You don't need all of that, but the first sentence of upgrades makes a big difference in reliability. Oh and a wheelie bar. The same one for the 2wd rustler can be fitted on the amp with a couple other ecx pieces.
Good god! So did you put in almost double what you paid for the truck new?

You got a build log / thread or anything? Thanks for the reply!

No build log, was kinda done as needed (as things broke). Got both my trucks used for 60$, tried giving the guy 100, but he wouldn't take it. They were both stock and hardly used. Came with the metal gears for both transmissions new in packages, $60 dollar value right there. Probably still do have well over double the price of a new truck into each one, as I'm not light on the trigger finger and like to send them. Luckily my son is more responsible then me. I've got way way more into my crawlers though. Can be quite an expensive hobby.

Yep agreed. That amp can run with that arrma. Just needs some parts.

Yep agreed. That amp can run with that arrma. Just needs some parts.
Wow, that's great to hear!!

So would brushless be the first step? I've read you can get a cheap brushless and a receiver that will work with the stock remote.. Trying to do this in $75ish intervals..

Yes..you can. Read through some of the logs here. Not trying to be rude. But alot is covered. And recently too. But definitely ask if cant find something or need help. I have 4 amps. And I built them all differently and you can definitely approach it deferent ways.

Yes..you can. Read through some of the logs here. Not trying to be rude. But alot is covered. And recently too. But definitely ask if cant find something or need help. I have 4 amps. And I built them all differently and you can definitely approach it deferent ways.
Yea, I got you.. Thanks..

They very versatile. You can do alot with them. Imagination is the limit. My boys..including my 8 yr old enjoys them and I can hand over the controllers without cringing. Just have to do some small stuff to make them dependable and after that. Its all the fun stuff.

I've enjoyed upgrading my Amp, first round I got a 4000kV brushless and ESC, realized I needed a radio so got it too, and Team Associated metal gears. With a 3S it definitely goes over 50mph, and I've started breaking stock parts so just upgraded to just about every Hot Racing metal replacement for plastic parts now. Oh yeah, forgot that I needed to upgrade to a better servo with all that speed and power, which helped but I am expecting the Hot Racing metal steering parts to finish that job now, too.

I could have used that money to buy a very nice truck, but I've had a lot of fun and learned so much that buying the perfect machine never would have taught me. Overall I'm happy to have had the experience, but we're all different. You probably know which is the better choice for you and I can't say that I've saved any money doing it this way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back