Upgrading ECX Amp to brushless -worth it?

loxley108

Hi. Firstly, I apologise for such a newbie question but I hope you can help.

I have an Amp Ecx and was hoping to upgrade it to a brushless motor using the ECX13003 receiver and the Tazer Twin motor (from a video I found on youtube).

I can get the receiver for £10 but the motor is about £80. I am just wondering whether its worth spending that money on upgrading the car or would it be worth just buying a new rc car with a brushless motor?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere the Amp ECX with lights - is that an upgrade that's possible?

Again, I apologise for the questions and really hope you can help as am looking forward to getting involved.

All the best

Obvious answer- yes. Brushless is faster. Faster= more fun! I upgraded to a $20 combo on amazon, just a generic $10 esc and a$10 motor on amazon. Just search up brushless esc or brushless motor on amazon and you got a descent system. Be careful then buying them, some are defective and smoke up. I have a video up on YouTube (Br1aNn88 YT) showing my amazon esc smoking up and I burnt my finger.
On the other hand (lights), that is very much possible. I recently got these led lights for $7 on amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SSO70Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And they are nice and bright.
You just have to plug them into the receiver ( into the 3rd channel usually). I reccomend a $20 FlyskyGT2B ( it’s not waterproof though) this transmitter also has a 3rd channel button so you can control the lights from the transmitter if you buy a hobbyking Dr mad thrust receiver switch.
For the led lights, you do not NEED to buy any accessories for it, just plug and play. The led lights come with the mounting screws

EDIT- the ECX13003 receiver is discontinued ( I was hoping it was continued as well for my truck) you can just get a flysky receiver and transmitter combo

Obvious answer- yes. Brushless is faster. Faster= more fun! I upgraded to a $20 combo on amazon, just a generic $10 esc and a$10 motor on amazon. Just search up brushless esc or brushless motor on amazon and you got a descent system. Be careful then buying them, some are defective and smoke up. I have a video up on YouTube (Br1aNn88 YT) showing my amazon esc smoking up and I burnt my finger.
On the other hand (lights), that is very much possible. I recently got these led lights for $7 on amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SSO70Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And they are nice and bright.
You just have to plug them into the receiver ( into the 3rd channel usually). I reccomend a $20 FlyskyGT2B ( it’s not waterproof though) this transmitter also has a 3rd channel button so you can control the lights from the transmitter if you buy a hobbyking Dr mad thrust receiver switch.
For the led lights, you do not NEED to buy any accessories for it, just plug and play. The led lights come with the mounting screws

EDIT- the ECX13003 receiver is discontinued ( I was hoping it was continued as well for my truck) you can just get a flysky receiver and transmitter combo

^^ What he said.

Brushless is totally worth it. If you’re not sure if the car is worth the upgrade, use cheaper parts. I’d recommend one of the GoolRC combinations. 3650 3300+-Kv 45 amp. Probably $45.

Brushless is much stronger than brushed. Learn how to set the slipper clutch. A little looser is better than tight. It will cut down on the wheelies, but will help your transmission last the year.

No, in my opinion. I have upgraded my Amp to brushless, and I love it. However, now that I have experienced bashing and jumping with 4x4 RCs, I have all but lost interest in my 2wd kits. I say keep it brushed and save up for a nice 4x4 basher, unless you have an opportunity to race it.

No, in my opinion. I have upgraded my Amp to brushless, and I love it. However, now that I have experienced bashing and jumping with 4x4 RCs, I have all but lost interest in my 2wd kits. I say keep it brushed and save up for a nice 4x4 basher, unless you have an opportunity to race it.

I’ve got to disagree. I’ve never walked away from an RC. I am always planning my next purchase and adding to the stable, but I never abandon an older one.

I’ve got to disagree. I’ve never walked away from an RC. I am always planning my next purchase and adding to the stable, but I never abandon an older one.
It will get run, and I will keep it because I've made it my own, but it will not get run as often, nor will I spend on upgrades for it, like I will my 4x4 RCs. Also, ECX abandoned it's overseas customers.

Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciate it.

Its mainly offroad stuff I use the ECX Amp for - I haven't really got a large concrete area to take it in. So am now wondering whether investing money in a 4x4 might be better. Although not sure where to start.

Love the lights idea. So, I could plug something like this straight into the ECX13003 (have bought that now from ebay)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-...m=253426753296&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Thanks again all for all the help and advice :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back