What gear set-up is ever1 running on there Amp please. Brushless 2s, 3s?

Tama

Trying to configure which setup is best for keeping temps down and still have a blast.

What kv are you running? With a 3100kv on 3s with 2.8 trenchers i was using 16/87. Had to trim some plastic to make a 16t pinion fit. Then i was using 18 or 19/87. Would get hot before a full pack though. Then i bought some 2s batteries, and run 22/87. The 3s was fun, but broke parts often. I aslo have another setup on 2s, 3900kv running 21/87. Gets hotter faster then the 3100, but doesn't over heat. And goes faster too.

Running only 3300kv BL on 2s.
Using the stock spur, but cannot remember if it's the stock pinion. My bad, gunna hav 2 count some teeth. Sorry☺️
Till i return

I have so many answers to this question. Have been doing regular runs over the past two weeks with various motors, tyres, and pinion set ups on Dirt, grass, smooth asphalt and sand dunes. Get a chair, this may be a long one.

The smoother the surface the higher you can go on the gearing without causing too much of a heat issue, but if you throw bigger tyres into the mix then that's another story. What i am trying to say is there are so many different factors that go into gearing, terrain, pinion, spur, tyres, rolling resistance, how you drive etc etc......

What i have found is that 1/10 brushless motors get hot on these cars (2wd) once you star going over about 35 mph by the time you are around 40mph you have to keep a constant eye on the temps. this is regardless of what kv motor you use. 1/8 motors will obviously counteract this but maybe a tight squeeze.

The Amp and the Circuit work best on smooth asphalt geared to run around 55km/h. Works best on the track.
AMP 4300kv 3650 87/19 metal gears. 60-65 degrees C is the hottest is gets.
Circuit 4370Kv 3650 ( but the 540 motor with the ridges in the can) 87/20 Plastic gears (believe it or not) 55-60 degrees C hottest it gets.
But if i put 110mm tyres instead of the 100mm i normally run the motor temps spike to 74 degrees C so couldn't run them long, but it was fast.
Ruckus and torment just traction roll, so unless really slippery tyres was way to hard to drive. then the slippery tyres make it hard to drive lol.

Both of these with bigger beach worthy(not slick) tyres work great out the beach but have to gear down for the heat.

Torment and Ruckus set ups
Torment 4700kv 3660 85/21 but this is a hot set up, works great for shortish runs and is fast great out the beach. Stock tyres 115mm
Ruckus 3100kv 3650 87/23 works well and with the Ruckus 135mm tyres is fast, but does get hot. both set ups over around 60km/h(40ishmph)

Have run Velenion motor/esc 3500kv in all these cars with the same results. Gets hot over 35 mph(60 km/h)

2s, 3s same results, just 3s breaks more driveline stuff, but is super fun :)

I guess my best answer is if you stay under 35mph things won't get hot, but the more over that you push the more you have to keep an eye on temps. Hope this helps and isn't just the ramblings of a madman.

Last edited:
Loving it bro. Any help is appreciated help. Looks like i got some hm wrk and testing ahead of me. Not running anything decent in the way of brushless esc combos but still goes hard and no issues as yet. In saying that, the weather as u know has been abit too hot to really hav a decent bash without motor ect getting hot?. Love the idea of beach bashing but havnt had the chance yet. Hav u used anything to stop corrosion on ur metal parts, screws ect or do u strip bak ur trucks and clean em after every run on the dunes.
Thank u for all the advice u hav given...
Hav urself a safe n happy new year✌

use sealed bearings, give them a good blow off lol and good to go. Havent had any corrosion issues. But not running in water either, just dry sand.

Members online

No members online now.
Back