What happened to ECX?

slick2500

Ecx used to be a much more popular brand when I first got into this hobby, even these forums were a lot more active. This place is a ghost town anymore compared to what it once was. Ever since Horizon stopped allowing online sale of Ecx vehicles that really hurt the brand IMHO. The few upgrades that were available for the 1/18 stuff is all but gone now, the upgrades for the 1/10 platform are also disappearing, pretty sure Ecx stopped making their own upgrade parts as well as you cannot even find them listed on the Horizon website. The only things I can find are the metal upgrade diff gears and the shocks. The shock towers, the hubs, the steering bell crank, the wheel hexes, the servo horns, the motor mount plate all have gone the way of the dodo.

Yeah sad to say it has changed, I'm sure part of the reason the forums have slowed is because Life just gets in the way, and some times takes over.
But I can also see where even for me, if I can't find upgrade parts even if there is nothing wrong with my cars, kind of takes the fun out of it, not all of it mind you, but some.
I have been thinking of hopping on the Traxxas train. Seems to be soooooooo much available for them.

I hear ya. Feel the same way. My 4x4 torment is discontinued so any parts I find are limited to what local shops still have which is low. I don't bash it as hard anymore because of this. I got an Arrma to have something that I can get parts on easier. I thought about getting a Traxxas as well for the high amount of upgrades available but I'm not quite ready to get in that train.

New member here. I recently purchased a 1/10 Torment 4x4 off of Ebay because the price was really good. Its in decent condition, but quite a few pieces on it could stand to be replaced. My plan was to replace most of the older worn components with newer ones, but it wasn't until after I purchased it and started doing my research that I realized there aren't many parts left out there for the 4wd Torment. Bummer.

The only concern i have is the discontinuation of other brand's ecx upgrades and also the stock parts. If none of those discontinue and the ecx brand upgrades are gone, i dont mind. Id probably buy the hot racing or something else anyways due to the price 😂

Yeah. I recently read an article on how Horizon has just been quietly axing ECX to make way for more of other stuff, which is a shame. No more upgrade parts for us. I’m trying to scavenge up what I can to finish my 1/18 Ruckus build before it goes extinct entirely.

Yeah. I recently read an article on how Horizon has just been quietly axing ECX to make way for more of other stuff, which is a shame. No more upgrade parts for us. I’m trying to scavenge up what I can to finish my 1/18 Ruckus build before it goes extinct entirely.

They switched Ecx to no online sales and in store only to "help" the local hobby shop. They even had no online sales for the parts for a while but I think enough people must have bitched about it because they started selling just the parts online. This was the death blow to Ecx I feel. They should have used one of their cheaper brands like Force Rc as their in store only brand.

My son was gifted the 1/18 Torment a few years ago, and it's what got him into (and me back into) RC. Fun little truck, and it's been relatively sturdy for all the abuse it has taken. I'm glad I bought the HR aluminum shocks and a bearing kit when I did early on though, because it's getting really hard to find parts in store or online. At this point, should I just be snatching up and hoarding parts when I find them for a rainy day or unexpectedly rough crash?

My son was gifted the 1/18 Torment a few years ago, and it's what got him into (and me back into) RC. Fun little truck, and it's been relatively sturdy for all the abuse it has taken. I'm glad I bought the HR aluminum shocks and a bearing kit when I did early on though, because it's getting really hard to find parts in store or online. At this point, should I just be snatching up and hoarding parts when I find them for a rainy day or unexpectedly rough crash?

That's what I've been doing. Seen a couple lots on eBay where hobby shops are unloading their entire inventory in package deals. The pictures are still of the parts hanging organized on the parts wall in the shop. That only happens for one reason.

I almost want to buy another one just for spare parts. You can find used ones on eBay for pretty cheap sometimes.

That's what I've been doing. Seen a couple lots on eBay where hobby shops are unloading their entire inventory in package deals. The pictures are still of the parts hanging organized on the parts wall in the shop. That only happens for one reason.
I've been noticing quite a few of those lots over the last several weeks as well. It's a shame that the ECX brand is slowly dissolving away.

Sup guys guess I'll do a intro here, I turn 36 in September and as a kid my dad had the rc10t2 in the pictures and I had a A stamped gold pan rc10...I'm kicking myself in the butt for selling it for 50 bucks if you care to Google the price of one lol they go for about 300-600 bucks now! Lol Do they sell better rear axles for this torment? I got it for some money owed to me and threw a brushless goolrc 4300kv but I'd like to put my other modified 8.5T sensored brushless motor. ...btw if it comes set to 30* timing out the box should I raise the timing on my hobbywing programmer? I wanna put that motor in my ECX instead of my race model rc10t2 #7036...I don't wanna break that cause it is worth quite a bit at least 400+ bucks I've seen 500 that said unknown if it worked, mine does with the fatuba transmitter, reciever, servo, Tekin speed controller and a modified brushed race motor from when he raced it in 1995. I thought the Tekin wasn't any good still but that was only cause I didn't get it enough power, I first tried the battery I was using in my TT02D and nothing, then I wired up a deans connector and that thing still works...I admit I messed up the fatuba reciever... 😭 Or do you guys think these plastic axles will handle the power with a 3s? The GoolRC takes a second to go forwards on the throttle after going backwards, is there a way to change that?

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_132401180.jpg
    IMG_20220528_132401180.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220528_132809627.jpg
    IMG_20220528_132809627.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220528_133029367.jpg
    IMG_20220528_133029367.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220528_180144091.jpg
    IMG_20220528_180144091.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3
Sup guys guess I'll do a intro here, I turn 36 in September and as a kid my dad had the rc10t2 in the pictures and I had a A stamped gold pan rc10...I'm kicking myself in the butt for selling it for 50 bucks if you care to Google the price of one lol they go for about 300-600 bucks now! Lol Do they sell better rear axles for this torment? I got it for some money owed to me and threw a brushless goolrc 4300kv but I'd like to put my other modified 8.5T sensored brushless motor. ...btw if it comes set to 30* timing out the box should I raise the timing on my hobbywing programmer? I wanna put that motor in my ECX instead of my race model rc10t2 #7036...I don't wanna break that cause it is worth quite a bit at least 400+ bucks I've seen 500 that said unknown if it worked, mine does with the fatuba transmitter, reciever, servo, Tekin speed controller and a modified brushed race motor from when he raced it in 1995. I thought the Tekin wasn't any good still but that was only cause I didn't get it enough power, I first tried the battery I was using in my TT02D and nothing, then I wired up a deans connector and that thing still works...I admit I messed up the fatuba reciever... 😭 Or do you guys think these plastic axles will handle the power with a 3s? The GoolRC takes a second to go forwards on the throttle after going backwards, is there a way to change that?
I just put these axles

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2834268267...73d_7GJQyK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

in my 2wd Ruckus after finally breaking one of the stock ones. I found the info on here I believe they are Traxxas slash upgrade axles but they more or less drop in. There’s some info in my build thread how the truck needs to be modified.

https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/hi-from-nj.3270/

Stock axles won’t last on 3S. Most people break them on 2S. Watch the trans gears and the pinion too. Hard to say about the forward/reverse issue but it’s probably the built in delay most ESC have to ensure you’re at a full stop before changing direction. This helps protect parts. If you change the ESC to forward only it may help the delay.

I just nuked that exact goolrc motor on 3S. It was fine on 2S and real short 3S runs but I smoked the wiring on 3S. Overall my opinion is they are fine test motors for what they are while you’re doing a new build and getting stuff sorted but not a long term answer and definitely not a race motor.

I just put these axles

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2834268267...73d_7GJQyK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

in my 2wd Ruckus after finally breaking one of the stock ones. I found the info on here I believe they are Traxxas slash upgrade axles but they more or less drop in. There’s some info in my build thread how the truck needs to be modified.

Stock axles won’t last on 3S. Most people break them on 2S. Watch the trans gears and the pinion too. Hard to say about the forward/reverse issue but it’s probably the built in delay most ESC have to ensure you’re at a full stop before changing direction. This helps protect parts. If you change the ESC to forward only it may help the delay.

I just nuked that exact goolrc motor on 3S. It was fine on 2S and real short 3S runs but I smoked the wiring on 3S. Overall my opinion is they are fine test motors for what they are while you’re doing a new build and getting stuff sorted but not a long term answer and definitely not a race motor.
I've had a set of those on my Slashpede 4x4 since 2018. They are pretty warn out now but they held up great.

I've had a set of those on my Slashpede 4x4 since 2018. They are pretty warn out now but they held up great.

I'm pretty sure I found the link through this forum. There were a couple of options of making some slash OEM parts work and then I tripped across someone who gave the direct link. $40 seemed a little steep but having them in my hand, these are going to hold up to anything motor/ESC/tire you could possibly put in a 1/10. My one wish is for the price it should come with new M3 pins the ones that go to the differential. I wasn't comfortable re-using the stock ones I took out with their tiny internal allen head with loctite

I just put these axles

I missed the part about the Goolrc motor, I've been using one of their motors since 2016, only thing I have done is replaced the bearings. It is in my Slashpede 4x4 and I run it on 3s all the time.

I missed the part about the Goolrc motor, I've been using one of their motors since 2016, only thing I have done is replaced the bearings. It is in my Slashpede 4x4 and I run it on 3s all the time.

It’s entirely possible it was user error. I was using that exact motor in our 2wd with that same battery ESC and similar gear ratio for quite a few battery packs without issue. I also killed a 3650 goolrc shortly before that was also running good previous in the same manner (wires hot and smoking) but I attributed that one to the front axle binding up and eventually locking.

When it did run, the 3660 ran well (didn’t have the umph compared to the similar hobbywing, but still made the 2wd uncontrollably fast). For what we used it for, test motor, it served us well and I’d buy it again for that purpose. Maybe it was just it’s time, maybe its our tall grass/hot environment, maybe there was some mechanical failure on the Ruckus I didn’t catch. The 3660 in similar kV makes A LOT more torque down low and runs a bit cooler to the 3650. Makes me want to go try out an even longer can 36 series motor. It does have a 5mm shaft though, so factor in new pinions into the price.

It’s entirely possible it was user error. I was using that exact motor in our 2wd with that same battery ESC and similar gear ratio for quite a few battery packs without issue. I also killed a 3650 goolrc shortly before that was also running good previous in the same manner (wires hot and smoking) but I attributed that one to the front axle binding up and eventually locking.

When it did run, the 3660 ran well (didn’t have the umph compared to the similar hobbywing, but still made the 2wd uncontrollably fast). For what we used it for, test motor, it served us well and I’d buy it again for that purpose. Maybe it was just it’s time, maybe its our tall grass/hot environment, maybe there was some mechanical failure on the Ruckus I didn’t catch. The 3660 in similar kV makes A LOT more torque down low and runs a bit cooler to the 3650. Makes me want to go try out an even longer can 36 series motor. It does have a 5mm shaft though, so factor in new pinions into the price.

I have noticed in those cheap motors the bearings tend to be rather hit or miss so maybe the bearing took a dump then overheated the motor idk.

Mine is the 3665 3100kv https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832450138245.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt I originally bought it for my Ruckus but it was a bit overkill for it. Now it sits in my Slashpede 4x4.

20220602_115306.jpg

I still have my GoolRc combo, it's sitting in one of the torments i hardly ever drive, well the one i want to turn into a Midwest modified, but that's another story.
I am really happy with my Onyx and Hobbywing set ups. They truly take a beating.

Latest posts

Members online

Back