What upgrades make you want to buy an ECX?

BkRc4

We are currently starting a small store that I will originally sale many ways that I can. It will be ECX based and the question came up, " What will entice consumers to buy from us?" We are working on a Youtube channel, facebook, etc... I see people fully upgrade the vehicles, use them, & try to sell to recoup what they've spent. We don't want to do that.
So please share your suggestions. I think everyone would like to hear the responses.

What upgrades make you want to buy an ECX?

This is a loaded question the looseness and flexibility of the parts (2wd) are what make them bashable while keeping cost low. Buying a upgraded ECX will come to price can you keep the price low enough to sell but not so high as to deter buyers to start looking at other brands.

I am not sure of the markup on parts so end cost with some upgrades for a dealer could come in at a much lower cost for the consumer but doing that would that not show how much markup the hop ups cost being sold separately.

I like where your going with your idea have it ready made with upgrades but part of the fun is doing these upgrades by oneself and choosing how to customize and choose for them self.

All that being said. I can only speak on 1/10 2wd and 1/18 (don't bother with the 1/18 4wd not worth upgrading)

Stock servo saver sucks but usual solution RPM SSE does just that eliminates a servo saver so you need at the very least a metal gear servo (IMHO). Stock camber links create a lot of slop so adjustable links would be nice. RPM steering knuckles are as bad as stock (if not worse) so aluminum steering knuckles. Metal diff in the 2wd brushed models. If you upgrade the electronics in a AMP your making it like a Circuit with the separate esc and receiver.

Good luck! Sounds like a good idea I hope you can make it work for you (profit) and for the buyer (feel like their getting a bargain).

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Definitely a loaded question. I agree with you 100% that is why I'm trying to create the dialog. Improved handling/steering is 1 of the big issues.
I have questions of "do I do the work or allow the hobbyist do the work after we gather a parts package/kit, or maybe have both options". What upgrades would still allow us to not lose money as we grow?
Traxxas already has that Honda/Acura thing going where a vehicle starts at $200 & the same vehicle can be purchased at &700+ upgraded. Keeping cost down is a definite priority however not losing money is the short-term priority. Long-term this is a risky chance we are taking & that's why I'm asking for help, ideas, solutions. The love of the hobby, ECX, this forum is what is driving this idea.
30+ years ago when I originally got into the hobby most parts were universal, most upgrades were self explanatory. Today not so much & I believe that is what is turning a large crowd(the toysrus) away from/or just not attracting them to the hobby. Yes, this is a billion dollar business but its the best. Whether your alone or with family, its endless entertainment from driving to cleaning. The feeling of a real racer. I can go on but I won't right now. Thank you & please keep the dialog going.

For a large majority of people into the hobby, read: they like it, but are not confident enough to do alot of the work for themselves, I think a tiered system of upgrade packages with the option for install would work well. The upgrades and install labor could be sold/ done separately as well, but perhaps provide a small discount when done with the purchase of the RC.

For a large majority of people into the hobby, read: they like it, but are not confident enough to do alot of the work for themselves, I think a tiered system of upgrade packages with the option for install would work well. The upgrades and install labor could be sold/ done separately as well, but perhaps provide a small discount when done with the purchase of the RC.
That's actually not a bad idea. It seems anytime I'm at my LHS I see a number of RC's behind the counter that guys there are working on for customers.

Some of them just don't know how to work on them or don't want to work on them. I would say the same goes with upgrades too and having upgrade packages may appeal to those buyers.

We want to sell Upgraded RC's. Thank you
This is a tough situation, this is strictly my opinion.....
A person is not going to buy an ECX 4 top dollar, ECX is your beginner high-end RC product. Very easy to work on, and yes there is a handful of upgrades. Literally everything is upgradeable using other brands.

I currently built to (2) 2-wheel drive torment and to (2) 2-wheel drive boost over the winter and raced them this Summer. I will be posting updates here soon once I get them cleaned up and the pros and cons of certain upgrades. I personally think that if someone wants to upgrade something the only way they're going to learn the hobby is to do it themselves. On the flip side of that I think you have an awesome idea. I would put it out there, that this is what it costs for the stock brand new or stock used. And put together with other person a budget of a build. Some people just do not want to build them up themselves. They want an RTR. It's just when a beginner gets into a hobby and they see that high dollar price tag they are going to shy away from it. If you can pick up a brushless RC for under $200 it's a winning situation. But just because someone has a brushless Electronics on an RC does not mean you're on the road for a awesome running RC. The flip side of things on this purchasing used RC for under $200 with a brushless Electronics, the other person may have not ever touched it for maintenance. Stock Parts wear out, on top of upgraded Parts wear out. If the user does not maintain their RC, stuff breaks down. Majority of your used product on eBay is broken down used Orsi's. Unless someone literally will come out and say I stand behind this product and you will be very very satisfied with it. Huge expense obviously and they might not know either, is the batteries and the charger.

Again, you're on to something good. If you've done your research and watched eBay, here, or other hobby shops/brand new just to watch overall pricing. You might be ahead of the Curve.

I do know if you're planning on making hand-over-fist money on this, I just don't think that you're going to make money. If you're doing it because of the love of the hobby, do it.

Okay, I have rambled on, yada yada yada, Etc. Hopefully this is enough mumble-jumble to clarify my opinion and thoughts.

Absolutely, In the Charlote area Speed Rc closed its doors earlier this year & different factions throughout the Piedmont area are trying to get/find tracks & build the hobby. Amazingly it turned out a lot of families would be there on off nights. So tying the hobby to STEM is gaining ground. ECX already offers a camp and we definitely could use more places to race & bash.

Latest posts

Members online

Back