2wd torment help?

You can swap drive shafts from left to right and see if the problem follows just the axle end part of the drive shafts.

Per your advice, I swapped the driveshafts and the roles are indeed reversed. The left side is doing what the right side was and vice versa.

So you know now the problem is with the axle end of the driveshaft out to the wheel now what exactly I can't really say seems like you have checked everything. If you had another axle end part of the drive shaft I would say try changing it out. I had a problem with a Traxxas drive shaft where the axle end spun and came out don't know if that's the case with yours the axle end could be spinning loose inside. I don't think I can be of much more help seems like you checked everything I can think of.

Good luck!

IMG_20181029_170017.jpg

Hey, thanks for taking the time everyone and helping me to isolate the problem. ROLL TIDE!!! Heyitsme.

Is the hex on the axle the same size as the recessed hex cavity in the wheel?

Edit: nevermind I did not see all the replies.

I think I broke one of the pieces in the axle, perhaps behind the part that the wheel attaches too. Taking it to the LHS this weekend to have them help further diagnose it, now that I at least know what could possibly be wrong with it.

It looks like you are possible binding inside your tranny, or your spur gear is slipping. Try this, spin your wheels by hand and see if they spin, and then unscrew the screws that hold your transmission together, like halfway out. Try spinning wheels again and compare. At this point if screws are provide resistance, and still spinning, is because you have broke then lose. If after loosening screws helps, then they are installed wrong and too long. Put shorter screws in their place, and you should be good.
Spur gear, yes gears probably look good, but with so much power by the looks of things, your just spinning and burning then pads. Try cranking your spur gear nut at the end of the spring/shaft all the way tight. See if this helps. I am leaning towards the first option.
Otherwise, if niether of these work, then sad to say something is wrong with your tranny gears.

Thanks man. It's still out of order :( Money has to go other places unfortunately... I'm hoping it'll be a cheap fix after the next payday.

I have had this issue a couple of times.
You will find that the axle that doesn't turn when you hold it, is stripped out inside. The metal has come away from the plastic. You can't see it, and if you take the axle out it will seem fine.

If you take the gear cover off, hold the spur and turn the wheels you should be able to see that one drive shaft is turning. The one that doesn't have the stripped axle.

Hope this solves your issue, if not keep on looking and keep us informed

Last edited:
Seems like you've solved my problem. I went ahead and ordered replacement axles which aren't plastic so I hopefully won't have this issue going forward. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for taking the time. Back up and running again finally after replacing the rear axles and bearings. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Latest posts

Members online

Back