2wd Torment Metal Gear Servo Upgrade

BobbyBlank

what is a decent, waterproof metal gear servo for a 2wd Torment?

The Power HD WP-23KG will be overkill, but it's at a great middle of the road price. Included in the WP-23KG is titanium gears. A lot of servos in the $40 price range only include softer metal gears. As a bonus, if, and when the time comes, the Power HD servo also has a replacement gear set. That means you don't have to throw away the whole servo if you happen to strip a gear.

Got this servo Fan Model FS-15W in my Ruckus fast and strong enough for me. Another decent one is a DS3218 servo. With the price of these I will just get another if the gears strip. In a basher I don't feel the need for anything more but I am a little cheap also. You can spend more for a better servo but that's up to you how much you want to spend.

FBNVIw9.jpg

Got this servo Fan Model FS-15W in my Ruckus fast and strong enough for me. Another decent one is a DS3218 servo. With the price of these I will just get another if the gears strip. In a basher I don't feel the need for anything more but I am a little cheap also. You can spend more for a better servo but that's up to you how much you want to spend.
That Fan Model servo has good specs on paper. I may have to give one a try when the time comes for going SLB (super low budget). I've been known to go cheap on RC electronics over the past couple of years. Most of the time I get bit by going with SLB gear, and have to re-buy components. For $16, the FS-15W servo would be a perfect match for my $15 120A "blue" speed controls ? that I'm currently using in some of my trashers.

That Fan Model servo has good specs on paper. I may have to give one a try when the time comes for going SLB (super low budget). I've been known to go cheap on RC electronics over the past couple of years. Most of the time I get bit by going with SLB gear, and have to re-buy components. For $16, the FS-15W servo would be a perfect match for my $15 120A "blue" speed controls ? that I'm currently using in some of my trashers.

It's low budget but still a lot better than most crappy RTR servos. The specs are good but it seems a little slower then what the specs say but I have no complaints even got it a little cheaper with the best offer option.

Those generic Tsky blue 120a escs (Hobbywing knockoffs) I have a couple don't get used that often in a couple short course trucks one running sensored the other running sensorless. Had both escs for awhile now with no problems even waterproofed (splashproof) one, have ran it out in the rain and still works great even on the occasional 3s.

The Power HD WP-23KG will be overkill, but it's at a great middle of the road price. Included in the WP-23KG is titanium gears. A lot of servos in the $40 price range only include softer metal gears. As a bonus, if, and when the time comes, the Power HD servo also has a replacement gear set. That means you don't have to throw away the whole servo if you happen to strip a gear.

Does the Power HD WP-23KG need one of those BEC things or whatever it's called? I just got one in and it jerks and stutters like crazy

Sidewinder 4

Never did like the BEC in my old Sidewinder esc I got brownouts using a cheap JX6221 servo. The amps are better in the new ones I think but still only 5v which is fine for most servos but not all.

Could try a glitch buster it may help.

Last edited:
you think theres just a chance it's a faulty servo? It acts pretty crazy. The car even shot forward a couple times with zero throttle.

you think theres just a chance it's a faulty servo? It acts pretty crazy. The car even shot forward a couple times with zero throttle.
I have the same servo in a wraith, with the same issue. Only thing that fixed it was using a separate bec, just for the servo. Even though the esc had a strong enough bec, it just had bad interference from the reciever.
Also the ds3218 is a great servo. I got 2 in my circuits, bought both for 30 bucks with aluminium servo horns. To be honest it seems the ds3218 (20kg) has more torque then the power hd23kg. Though my powerhd is probably 2 years old, could be getting worn out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back