@#%##@###!!!!

VonDave

Today, we decided to have a family outing with our rc cars. My wife had her AMP MT, my son had his new 2nd hand AMP MT on his old Ruckus wheels and I had my AMP DB.
Not even 5 minutes later, the pinion gear on my wife's car came off. Yes, I brought tools, but no loctite. A few moments after that, the replaced esc from my son's car died. And yes, the standard esc/receiver from my car failed... My wife played with our youngest son with his rc car, and that lasted the entire time, lol. We bought a toy grade 2wd MT, which does a good thing of keeping on going. Then me and my oldest son took out our Ruckusses. Mine has a new 4300kv bl setup, with a 5mm shaft for the pinion. Yes, it is really powerful, but that gave a new problem; my steel idler gear got fully stripped... And to top if off, my son drove his Ruckus in deep grass, even after me warning him lots of times...
And yes, his motor was literally smoking.
So tonight I'm gonna have to wrench like a mofo to get them going again.... Gonna update this post later.

-Dave

Last edited:
Soooooooooooo....

Back with a quick update.
I just had to fix my previous spelling errors, that should teach me to type a post in the sunlight without reading glasses on my phone, lmao....

First, the wife's car.
-fixed!
No biggie, just used some loctite on the pinion gear grub screw.
My son's AMP MT.
-fixed!
Just replaced the apparently tired old esc for a new(er) one. Made a test run, all was good.
My son's Ruckus.
-not fixed...
After the motor was completely cooled down, I tested the motor, but the thing is toast I'm afraid.
The big problem I have, is that the original Tazer 3300kv motor and esc were doing an amazing job!
I have tried to use other brand 3300kv motors, but they were nowhere near the Tazer power.
So, I'm looking for a new motor esc combo.
If anyone has some ideas, please, let me know!
My AMP DB.
-not fixed...
I have some new receivers about, so no problems there, but I'm out of brushed esc's at the moment.
My Ruckus.
-not fixed...
I took off the tranny and opened it...
Holy Moly... The idles gear still has some teeth; it has 4 missing.
But the diff is completely K.I.A. It has 17 teeth missing!
Since I had some trouble with my Circuit a while back, I had decided to buy an internal gear set from the Axial SCX10, to see if they will fit. Since the Axial gearbox swap is a common thing and that Axial And ECX are Horizon Hobby products, I'm hoping that I can use the gears...
If so, I will be VERY happy, if not, I will have to do the total gearbox swap I guess.
And I also found out that it wasn't a 4300kv motor, but a 3900kv motor.
On the pics you can see some parts of the diff wheel. I have rotated it for the various pics. And yes, the metal thingy on the left of the housing is indeed one of the missing teeth. Also, the debris next to the idler gear are shards of.... teeth...
So, it's gonna be spending money and wrenching I guess...

-Dave20210612_221527.jpg20210612_221532.jpg20210612_221546.jpg20210612_221612.jpg

Thanks for update! I’m still learning as you attempt to get your ruckus’s focused and smooth running…. I’m not wrenching on mine this time of season, Summer just getting started..!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back