4x4 Torment now only RWD with video

nwmlarge

I was messing about in the park yesterday morning, I hit a post flat out and dislodged the front bumper, not long after this I got it wedged under a slide.

I then noticed it was properly lairy handling and clocked it was now only spinning the rear wheels.

I did a manual test turning the wheels and only the rears are linked.

I have likely broken something, where should I be looking first?

This is the first time I have opened up the internals of my truck.

TIA

The grub screw that secures the rear center drive shaft cup to the slipper assembly make sure its tight and not loose.

torment (2)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I checked it out. You were correct. I tightened it and 4x4 returned.

Took it out for a spin on tarmac no jumps and it loosened again.

I am also getting some other weird noises.
Could I have inadvertently adjusted the clutch or brake?
It’s like it is being held back then overcomes it with power.

Still think its the center drive shaft grub screw being loose. You have to remember that when you tighten the screw back down that the part the set screw goes on to the slipper assembly there should be a flat spot. You cannot tighten the screw on the round part of it it will not hold. Think of the brushed motor shaft it has a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw for the pinion to tighten on to. Also take the grub screw out and put some blue loctite on it to help keep it from backing out. The rattling you hear is more than likely the loose center dirve shaft cup and center drive shaft rattling.
61eqAComaTL._SX342__LI.jpg

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense.
I did think it was odd it didn’t locate but obviously didn’t rotate it enough the first time.
I have now tightened it on the flat spot with blue lock tight and it appears to be all good.
Thank you.
Where did you get the exploded diagram from I can’t seem to find it on the site?

Latest posts

Members online

Back