Adjusting servo neutral without dismantling the whole steering assembly?

valve90210

I only built my Amp MT last weekend, and added a better, metal geared, servo (worth every penny!). I had to set the servo neutral point with the servo out of the car which was fine. As ever though the servo horn couldn't sit perfectly upright with the servo at it's neutral point because of the teeth of the servo gear.I had two positions to choose from and evidently I chose the wrong one as I have to have a good bit of trim to stop it constantly going left. Constantly having trim on seems to be making the servo make a sort of creaking even when it's idle, so I'm going to try resetting the neutral position to see if it'll track straighter with the servo horn one tooth round.

However, it seems like I'll have to remove the whole steering setup from the chassis to do this, Is this right, or has anyone got any tips for making this adjustment with the servo etc still in place in the car?

Also, does anyone else experience the slight creaking from a metal geared servo?

The creaking is normal for a digital servo, that's the servo oscillating between two states when it's centering unloaded.

If the trim is not excessive I wouldn't worry about it. You can swap it one tooth over next time you break something, heh.

Oh, lol. I never had the problem with analog ones. I'm pretty fresh to this though, maybe one of the old farts more knowledgeable guys here has ideas on fixing analog servo flutter. Or jitter. Or twitch. Or whatever it's called.

I actually did his last night on my amp. I was able to just take off the cover that goes over the servo linkage and disconnect the balljoint from the servo horn. I just put the screwdriver through the middle of the shock tower to unscrew the horn from the servo gear.

Hope that helps

Yep, exactly what Mjsmith08 wrote. HOWEVER, before you reassemble everything, make sure that your servo is indeed as centered as possible! (I learned this the hard way once. Once.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back