AMP DB Transmitter Question

Wetworth

I'm looking at the AMP DB as a first RC for my 5 year old son. I especially like that the radio has dual rate for the throttle and that it seems to be physically smaller than most transmitters. However, in the future, I'm sure I will want to begin upgrading to lipos, faster motors etc. Does anyone know if the transmitter will be compatible with traditional electronics rather than the stock ESC/RX combo?

Due to its inexpensive nature, I suspect that the transmitter and receiver/ESC will only work with each other. Furthermore, looking at the PDF version of the instruction sheet (available on horizon hobby.com) it looks like there is no bind button on the radio. It is bound to the receiver automatically after putting the receiver into bind mode and turning the radio on.

To me that indicates that the radio system components in the AMP cars are not compatible with any other system. Fortunately the Spektrum DX2E and a 2-channel receiver are relatively inexpensive.

OK, I have been out of the hobby long enough that I have only ever used transmitters with frequency crystals. Thanks for the help.

Ah. Sorry @Wetworth. How quickly I've adapted to the new tech. Last time I was in RC everything was AM radios with crystals, too. The "new" 2.4GHz radio systems are vastly better than those old radios! No more interference, no more crystal swapping.

It all sounds great, lipo batteries, 2.4GHz transmitters, brushless motors. I have to keep reminding myself that this is for a 5 year old and that I have to keep it slow and simple. We'll upgrade it to something faster and more exciting after he has the basics. The last battery I bought was 1500mah and cost $50. ;)

I was just curious about the radio because I read it was smaller and has the dual rate. I'd rather use lipos but I think the transmitter has even more benifits and I'm sure we can manage with Nimh until hes ready for an upgrade.

Based on the reviews I've read the transmitter DOES have separate dual-rate dials for throttle and steering. So you can turn the throttle response WAY down for your child so they can get used to steering without any fear of the car zooming off at top speed and crashing into something. I think that's a fantastic feature for a "first time" RC car!

And since the AMP cars are identical to the Circuit (and similar to the Boost) you have an EXCELLENT platform for upgrading: better shocks, electronics, brushless motor, all metal gear transmission, etc. You don't have to worry about "overwhelming" the car.

When I go to the track other folks are amazed that I'm running a "cheap" RTR car! (Although I've upgraded and modified it a little.)

Running lipo batteries was optional, but I need a way to get the speeds down for him. He's rather cautious and I know too fast of a vehicle would bother him. Traxxas has that training mode, but I would have had to mess with the gearing or something else to get what I wanted. He's excited about the DB too.

Eventually we'll upgrade, it's good to know the support will be there.

I know it's kind of an old topic, but you can get the ECX 13003 receiver if you want to upgrade the ESC. That way you can keep the original radio, which as you point out is very child-friendly.

The 13003 is $16 though, which I think is a lot considering you can have a radio + receiver for under $30 nowadays.

Latest posts

Members online

Back