AMP MT a fun kit to build, battery question

Zenton

Hi

I've recently finished building the AMP MT kit. I've never built a kit before as in the past I've always built RTR but they often break and I've been left wondering how to fix them.

The kit was to my surprise, really fun to make and I've learnt so much about RC cars just by following the very simple instructions. My young son loves racing the truck as much as myself!

I've tried to find the answers to two questions re upgrading batteries but I don't want to buy then wrong type or size.

1. What would be a good upgraded Nimh battery for the AMP MT?
2. What would be a good 2s Lipo?

Any links or exact descriptions would be much appreciated thanks

IMG_2925_zpsz0bnqqod.jpg

Haha, Paddington Bear.

Welcome to the site @Zenton!

I don't want to tell you how to proceed, but I would recommend not bothering with another nimh battery. There is no benefit. Go to a 2s lipo and gain power and length of usable power.

I would recommend this:
upload_2017-2-14_8-56-55.png
https://www.venompower.com/collecti...00mah-LiPo-battery-with-universal-plug-system

Also remember to run a low voltage alarm, as the stock Amp setup does not have one. Something like this:

upload_2017-2-14_8-58-21.png
https://www.venompower.com/products/venom-low-voltage-monitor-for-2s-to-8s-LiPo-batteries

+1 to that. I have an AMP (now converted to a Circuit) and have two Venom 4000mAh batteries and the venom LVM. The higher discharge rate of the LiPos really wakes up the AMP and deliver run times of about 45 minutes!

If you do get a LiPo battery, you will need a battery that can specifically charge LiPo batteries. I highly recommend the Hitec X1 Mini.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've got an upgraded Traxxas Bandit which has sat untouched as it looks to good to get dirty <pointless I know> so I've found a 2s Lipo battery and I've got a good charger too. The low voltage meter has arrived so I'm going to give it to my son to play with this weekend.

I'm thinking about buying another AMP MT just so I can build it again!

I'm thinking about buying another AMP MT just so I can build it again!

Your son will be breaking plenty of parts so you'll be tinkering with it plenty :) But bashing is more fun when you have two...

Hi Zenton - Appears you did enjoy building the kit, do to the fact you would like to build another one.
I am retired and looking for a new outlet for my time and building one of these kits might just be the answer.
About how long did it take you to put it together? Did you make any changes/upgrades to the kit?
It appears you have to put the gear box together, is that right? Perfect if you want to incorporate mods as you go.
Please let us know how you made out with your maiden run. Would also like to see a pix of finished product.

YES!!--I love the Amp kit and wish it would get more attention!! 2--the above battery advice is good but seems to leave out an essential--your motor will fry before you get to the end of the charge!! The 1800 lasts about as long as it takes to heat up the brushed motor to its heat limit = 5-10 minutes depending on how hard you're driving. So in 5 minutes you must check the motor temp = put your thumb on it--it's supposed to be warm/hot but if you can't hold your thumb on it it's too hot so it must cool off. This is one of the unmentioned but main reasons to go brushless = BL does not get hot (when geared correctly) so you can just keep driving = Yeah!! A little fan or hairdryer on 'cool' can speed up your motor's cool down time.

3--How old is your son? Are you guys cracking up the car a lot? A radio with end point adjustments can dial down the speed to help newbies learn to drive. I like this FlySky-GT3B $36 http://tinyurl.com/gllxyhr
Have fun & keep us posted!

the above battery advice is good but seems to leave out an essential--your motor will fry before you get to the end of the charge!! The 1800 lasts about as long as it takes to heat up the brushed motor to its heat limit = 5-10 minutes depending on how hard you're driving.

Really? I've not found this to be an issue at all on the stock brushed 20t even using a 3500nimh and running it for 45 minutes or more.

My 20T motors have also been quite resilient. They're not very fast, but they have survived multiple consecutive LiPo packs in tall grass. They get hot and they stink, but they've kept going for me. Until seawater rusted one to the point of seizing...

YES!!--I love the Amp kit and wish it would get more attention!! 2--the above battery advice is good but seems to leave out an essential--your motor will fry before you get to the end of the charge!! The 1800 lasts about as long as it takes to heat up the brushed motor to its heat limit = 5-10 minutes depending on how hard you're driving. So in 5 minutes you must check the motor temp = put your thumb on it--it's supposed to be warm/hot but if you can't hold your thumb on it it's too hot so it must cool off. This is one of the unmentioned but main reasons to go brushless = BL does not get hot (when geared correctly) so you can just keep driving = Yeah!! A little fan or hairdryer on 'cool' can speed up your motor's cool down time.

3--How old is your son? Are you guys cracking up the car a lot? A radio with end point adjustments can dial down the speed to help newbies learn to drive. I like this FlySky-GT3B $36 http://tinyurl.com/gllxyhr
Have fun & keep us posted!

Never had any issues with the stock setup overheating on 2s. I'd say you are being very conservative with your estimates. My kid drives for 45 minutes to an hour without stopping, no issues. Granted though, he's not driving like a bat out of hell non-stop.

To your other point, the stock Amp radio has end point adjustment....sort of. It's the dual rate adjustment.

[QUOTE="xlDooM, My 20T motors have also been quite resilient they have survived multiple consecutive LiPo packs in tall grass. They get hot and they stink, but they've kept going for me. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="valve90210, I've not found this to be an issue at all on the stock brushed 20t even using a 3500nimh and running it for 45 minutes or more.[/QUOTE]

Cool = That's good news!! With these little basic cans I'll stop worrying about heat.

I do still have good racing stock motors from 2 decades ago that we all cooled off after every 5 minute race.

#2 My Amp radio seems to have dual rate for steering but not for throttle--or am Missing something? It's not here with me now.

My Amp TX has four little potentiometers: steering trim, steering dual rate, throttle trim, throttle dual rate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back