AMP MT ECX1092 Upgrade?

hoowahfun

Looking for an upgraded part for this piece. Online search only seemed to turn up stock plastic ones. I snapped this at one of the hinge pins.

For anyone who is interested, I tried a repair using JB Weld Plastic Bonder two-part epoxy. It did not work and failed on the first half speed jump that I did on my home ramp. I think the plastic is the wrong type for the JB Weld to get a good bond.

That's a great tip! If another one breaks I'm definitely doing that.

BTW: I ordered a new plastic one, but for my own curiosity I tried to "weld" the plastic by melting zip ties in the damaged area. I heated a flat head screwdriver with my torch and then melted the zip tie as filler rod on the area, then re-drilled the hinge pin hole. Looked great. It held up to normal driving around (no jumps), but the moment I bumped into hard object at relatively low speed it broke. Seems like the melting process makes the plastic too brittle for durable use.

Yeah I've tried every thing I could think of to repair the plastic cage on my first rc truck, an axial wraith. Ended up spending way more then what the part cost on epoxies and glues, only to have it break on the next roll over. Then on the ECX i broke the 1092 part probably 5 times before using the aluminium one there. I'm really surprised no one makes a direct replacement.

So I have been looking at hop-up parts for awhile. I havent bought any yet but I did do my research and apparently the Amp MT shares about 90% of its parts with the Torment and Ruckus. I would try Hot Racing part# ECT0806. I will post a picture of the part and a picture of a question asking if it fit an Amp MT where it was confirmed to work and not break on 30ft+ jumps. Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-22-11-26-34.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-11-26-34.png
    216 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2019-03-22-11-27-16.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-11-27-16.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 41
It looks like the Amp MT front suspension pin mount is 2 piece instead of 1 piece like the Torment. I still might try it myself regardless. Im sure it will require me modifying some of the plastic on the Amp but it doesn't look so far fetched.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-22-12-21-05.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-12-21-05.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2019-03-22-12-22-45.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-12-22-45.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 25
2 more confirmations that Hot Racing ECT0806 works with modifications on the Amp MT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-22-15-27-43.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-15-27-43.png
    311 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2019-03-22-15-28-02.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-22-15-28-02.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 32
To address the @hoowahfun original question:
Other than the two "hacks" mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd suggest staying with the stock plastic part and buying a T-Bone Racing bumper. I broke #1092 on my truck once-- plowed into a wall and the swing arm and hinge pin ripped right out. I installed T-Bone's Circuit ST bumper-- it offers excellent protection for the front suspension components and the angle of the bumper tends to direct the truck up and over obstacles that might otherwise impact the swing arms. The bumper, while listed for the Circuit, is a direct fit for the AMP as the AMP is 99% the same as a Circuit... and my Circuit started as an AMP MT and then I changed the body and wheels/tires to turn it into a Circuit to race.

I raced the Circuit with the T-Bone bumper for two seasons of indoor "off-road" racing (wooden jumps-- doubles, triples, table-tops, etc) and crashed hard many times. The concrete walls and hard edges of wooden jumps are very unforgiving. But I never broke another 1092 pivot!

I haven't got a rear bumper yet from T-bone but I have a front bumper from them on all 4 of my cars and I love them. I did just reach out and order a rear bumper and wheelie bar for my RC10T3 that I'm pretty excited to see. I would highly suggest getting their product. Also seems to be a cool company to support.

Latest posts

Members online

Back