AMP Ni-MH Battery Upgrade

masavy

Hello, I recently bought two AMP's and the place I bought them from suggested using LiPo batteries for extended run time/power. I have a little buyers remorse after reading the hazards of LiPo's. So I'm thinking I should have bought additional Ni-MH batteries that have a longer run time than the 1800's that came with them.

Can anyone recommend a Ni-MH battery you can use with the AMP that has the longest run time? I can't return the LiPo batteries I purchased so I may put them in the Classified forum here. Thanks for any help and I hope everyone has a great holiday.

Don't be scared of Lipo batteries. If you balance charge them and buy a fireproof bag to charge them in and store them in they are not dangerous. Like I said as long as they are properly cared for you will have no problems. Just read about them and educate yourself and you are good to go.

Thanks for the assurance Scotty, I watched a bunch of YT videos. I'm using a Dynamite Passport P2 charger and my main takeaways are charge and store them in a fireproof container, don't let them go below 3.4v, and when we are done using them charge them using the storage setting until the next time we plan to use them, and then charge them using the balance setting.

Apparently I should also get a volt alarm and set it to 3.4v. I watched this video which has a lot of info

One answer I couldn't find is where do you all store them when not using them? Is a garage or shed too warm? (I live in Florida). I'd rather not keep the in the house if possible. Thanks for your help, I'm just trying to not burn my house down.

They should be stored between 40-70°F. I definitely wouldn't store them in the garage or shed in FL. You'll be fine strong them in the house as long add you follow everything you said above.

So we ran the cars yesterday for the first time and the NiMh batteries were not bad at all, plenty of power for my son. I'm going to just stick with some longer lifetime (5100) NiMh batteries for now and put the Lipo's in the Classified forum. I appreciate your help and hope you had a great holiday.

So we ran the cars yesterday for the first time and the NiMh batteries were not bad at all, plenty of power for my son. I'm going to just stick with some longer lifetime (5100) NiMh batteries for now and put the Lipo's in the Classified forum. I appreciate your help and hope you had a great holiday.
You're welcome. Mine was great hope you guys had a good holiday as well!

Hello, I recently bought two AMP's and the place I bought them from suggested using LiPo batteries for extended run time/power. I have a little buyers remorse after reading the hazards of LiPo's. So I'm thinking I should have bought additional Ni-MH batteries that have a longer run time than the 1800's that came with them.

Can anyone recommend a Ni-MH battery you can use with the AMP that has the longest run time? I can't return the LiPo batteries I purchased so I may put them in the Classified forum here. Thanks for any help and I hope everyone has a great holiday.
Bumping an old thread to hopefully get some newbie questions answered.

What was your typical run time with the included 1800? I also have an AMP and seem to only be getting around 10 minutes... is this typical for a battery of that size?

Also, how long should I be charging it? Charging feels like shooting in the dark, since the included charger has no indicators. 🤷‍♂️

recently purchased ...

battery: Voltz 5300mAh NiMh Stick Pack - 7.2v - Tamiya Connector

charger: eTronix Power Pal Peak Detect NiMh Fast Charger - Mains/12v Input

adapter: Male Tamiya to Female EC3 Adapter

... run time was roughly 30+ minutes

Bumping an old thread to hopefully get some newbie questions answered.

What was your typical run time with the included 1800? I also have an AMP and seem to only be getting around 10 minutes... is this typical for a battery of that size?

Also, how long should I be charging it? Charging feels like shooting in the dark, since the included charger has no indicators. 🤷‍♂️
Replying to my own question because I found the answer elsewhere...

To calculate your charge time, divide your Battery's mAh by the mA output of your charger.
Included battery and charger takes 9 hours for a full charge, and 10 minutes of runtime is typical.

Definitely going to be looking for a bigger battery (and faster charger) as my first mod...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back