amp stock pinion gear

Regis1756

Hi

Is the amp supposed to come with a 20T pinion gear? I see that is the replacement one, but my 20t motor has a 18t on it.

Probably be a few mph faster. Be sure to watch motor temps if you go up in pinion size.

Hi Regis1756

Just a follow up question on pinion gears. I have put in a new 15T motor into my AMP and left the 18T pinion on it. ESC lasted for a day and went. So, my new ESC and receiver arrived today and I plan to get it installed over the weekend. Are you running a 15T motor now? And if so, what pinion gear are you using? I got the Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 Brushed Waterproof ESC which can handle the 15T motor. I also got a pack of GoolRC pinion gears from 16-20T. And, im wondering if there is a simple rule to follow when matching a pinion gear to a motor? I'm happy to sacrifice a few MPH if its going to be easier on the motor/ESC.

Any comments or advice is greatly welcome
Thanks

+1 on the non-contact (IR) thermometer. You can pick up on for less than US$20 at Home Depot or similar. A brushed motor is getting too hot around 140-150 degrees F. I ran a Dynamite 15T 550 brushed motor in my AMP MT with the 18T pinion that came with the kit. No problems and the motor would get up to about 150F after 30 minutes of driving at full throttle on a dirt and gravel road.

Thanks for the info guys. So, I got a loan of a temp gun and tested it on a regular basis. The ESC never got over 35 degrees Celsius (which is around 95F) and the motor was no more than 40C (105F)....so temps seem to be well in the safe range.
This was using a 17T pinion on the 15T motor.

Fitting the new ESC and the ECX13003 Receiver was a lot easier than I had anticipated. Receiver binded with the Transmitter with no issues. Only issue I noticed is that the ESC kinda switches off if you pull the throttle too quickly. It then seems to turn itself back on again and you're good to go. If you pull the throttle slowly it doesn't happen at all. This doesn't happen all the time though and seems to only happen as the battery is dying out. Any ideas?

Fitting the new ESC and the ECX13003 Receiver was a lot easier than I had anticipated. Receiver binded with the Transmitter with no issues. Only issue I noticed is that the ESC kinda switches off if you pull the throttle too quickly. It then seems to turn itself back on again and you're good to go. If you pull the throttle slowly it doesn't happen at all. This doesn't happen all the time though and seems to only happen as the battery is dying out. Any ideas?

The likely issue is that the battery is so low on charge that it cannot support the current draw requested. The easy way to test that is to have that occur, then swap to a freshly charged battery. If you had a battery monitor on the battery you would notice that under heavy load the cell voltage tends to dip.

Yep, i was thinking it might be battery related. The act that the ESC can use LIPO batteries I was thinking it may have a low voltage cut off that is kicking in for one reason or another when the NIMH battery was getting low. Anyway, its not too big an issue at the minute. Thanks for the response.

Members online

Back