Amp Upgrades

Davis

I am looking to upgrade my Amp MT but I have a few questions first. I don't know if I want to get the fast eddy bearing set or not, what difference do they make? Also, if I was to get a new servo such as the Power HD 1501MG would I need to get the servo saver as well? And most importantly what transmitter and receiver should I pair with it? I also know I want to get a Lipo battery and charger and the metal gear set.

Last edited:
That servo should work just fine.
As for the fast eddy bearings, you will see a little less resistance when spinning your wheels, and they will probably last longer than the stock bearings which junk as I've blown many myself - but these are more of a durability upgrade not a performance upgrade.
As for getting a new transmitter to pair it with. Your going to need a new esc aswell, as the stock one is a 2 in 1 transmitter/esc combo.
Transmitter/reciever combo is all about how much you want to spend, you can get a flysky for 40 bucks, or a spektrum for 70.
Since you want to go lipo battery and need a new esc anyways you should just get one with low voltage cutoff.
The metal gears are a nice choice, a necessary upgrade.
If your staying brushed there are a few esc's that offer LVC, if your going brushless though I don't think I've seem a brushless esc without LVC.

You also do not need the Rpm servo saver if you upgrade servos. It is a nice upgrade though. But if you do get it you will need an aluminum servo horn, and a metal gear servo or you will just be wrecking both of those with every crash. If you have a metal hear servo/aluminum servo horn/rpm servo saver when you take a bad crash all that will happen is that one of your tire rods will pop off, and you just pop it back on in a second.

I'll argue against "upgrading" to the metal gears for the transmission. I race my Circuit (which started life as an AMP) with a 13.5t brushless motor, stock plastic transmission, plastic 78t spur, and plastic 175rc pinion and haven't had anything fail yet. This is on high-grip indoor carpet and astro tracks. I run the slipper about half a turn looser than normal. (And it will still pull a wheelie on the back straight.)

Your foolish to argue that. Mine went to poop on the stock setup... sooner or later you will have a crash that will mash those plastic tranny gears into nothing. Regardless of how your slipper is set.

Not "foolish." It's a perspective based in experience. Also, I should have been clearer in my initial post: I'd argue that the metal transmission gears aren't a necessary upgrade.

Please maintain a civil tone in the forums.

Last edited:
That servo should work just fine.
As for the fast eddy bearings, you will see a little less resistance when spinning your wheels, and they will probably last longer than the stock bearings which junk as I've blown many myself - but these are more of a durability upgrade not a performance upgrade.
As for getting a new transmitter to pair it with. Your going to need a new esc aswell, as the stock one is a 2 in 1 transmitter/esc combo.
Transmitter/reciever combo is all about how much you want to spend, you can get a flysky for 40 bucks, or a spektrum for 70.
Since you want to go lipo battery and need a new esc anyways you should just get one with low voltage cutoff.
The metal gears are a nice choice, a necessary upgrade.
If your staying brushed there are a few esc's that offer LVC, if your going brushless though I don't think I've seem a brushless esc without LVC.
what are your thoughts on the DSM Bearings for $5 less? https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECX-1-10-A...m=122970022946&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507
s-l64.jpg

I don't have any experience with the DEM bearings but DO have a set of Fast Eddy (and I also use Avid's bearings). The DM bearings are likely a step up from the stock bearings. It all depends on where you'll be driving. I note that the DM bearings are described as being packed with "marine grade grease" which is a pretty thick, sticky grease. The Fast Eddy bearings are lubricated with a thin grease/oil and spin really freely.

If you're planning on hitting puddles or otherwise wet environments, the DM bearings might be a good choice. Otherwise I'd recommend the Fast Eddy bearings.

Bottom line though, you could go with either brand and you'll be better off than the stock bearings.

I don't have any experience with the DEM bearings but DO have a set of Fast Eddy (and I also use Avid's bearings). The DM bearings are likely a step up from the stock bearings. It all depends on where you'll be driving. I note that the DM bearings are described as being packed with "marine grade grease" which is a pretty thick, sticky grease. The Fast Eddy bearings are lubricated with a thin grease/oil and spin really freely.

If you're planning on hitting puddles or otherwise wet environments, the DM bearings might be a good choice. Otherwise I'd recommend the Fast Eddy bearings.

Bottom line though, you could go with either brand and you'll be better off than the stock bearings.
Thank you. How do you rate the Avid bearings?

I think Avid bearings are excellent. They're inexpensive for the most part and come in many configurations. Their "Aura" ceramic bearings are nuts and maybe a little overkill. (But that depends on who you talk to!) I really like their "Revolution" bearings-- I use them in my indoor cars (TLR 22 truck and buggy) and the buggy bearings are well over a year old and still smooth as silk-- granted, they're indoor only. The bearings feature a rubber seal on one side and a metal, non-contact shield on the other. You mount the metal shield on the inside of spindle carriers so the rubber seals are on the outside. You get a bearing that sealed from the elements on the outside and the reduced drag due to the shield on the inside.

And all their steel bearings are just US$1.00 each. (Shipping is extra, of course.)

@BkRc4 you really can't go wrong with Avid, FastEddyBearings or Boca ball bearing kits.

I personally prefer FastEddyBearings for two reasons, they are darn good bearings for not much cash and the second reason being I've known Eddy for many many years and think he's a great guy. But any of the three brands will do just fine and be an upgrade over most any stock bearings.

I would steer away from ceramic as you'll be spending a ton more money for not much gain and unless you're racing then really you're just throwing money away.

@BkRc4 you really can't go wrong with Avid, FastEddyBearings or Boca ball bearing kits.

I personally prefer FastEddyBearings for two reasons, they are darn good bearings for not much cash and the second reason being I've known Eddy for many many years and think he's a great guy. But any of the three brands will do just fine and be an upgrade over most any stock bearings.

I would steer away from ceramic as you'll be spending a ton more money for not much gain and unless you're racing then really you're just throwing money away.
Thank you for all of your information. I've been out of the hobby for 30 years & been taking a crash course. I have 2 used older tlr's with ceramic bearing, I purchased from a friend & I can see the difference.
I have 1 more question if you don't mind. Are there straight upgrades to changing the drive shafts without extra drilling, adjustments, shims, etc..?

Members online

No members online now.
Back