Battery

Briguy

I have a stock ecx ruckus 2wd. Except metal gears in transmission. What is a good lipo battery? I have a 5000 and a 5400 but i think they are the reason i had to put the metal gears in. What would be a good size?

The size really doesn't matter in that respect, only the maximum discharge current might make a difference.

For example, I run my Amp using these two packs:
- 25C 3800mAh LiPo,
- 50C 5000mAh LiPo.
The first one can deliver 3.8*25=95A of current according to the sticker. The second one can deliver 5*50=250A of current. I feel only a slight difference between the two batteries. The maximum burst current my stock Amp can draw must be something around 100A or the difference in acceleration would be much larger. That, or my higher end battery's sticker is a lie :D

Are you sure your slipper clutch slips? Have you taken it fully apart? Maybe the pad is simply stuck to the clutch disk and no amount of loosening the spring will help. People have run the stock ruckus on LiPos with the stock power system without instantly eating up their plastic gears.

@xlDooM is right, your battery is not the issue. It can't supply more power than your ESC/ motor will draw. I would tend to believe this might be a driving issue. Things like landing jumps when you're on the accelerator cause this. Or running into stuff.

The size really doesn't matter in that respect, only the maximum discharge current might make a difference.

For example, I run my Amp using these two packs:
- 25C 3800mAh LiPo,
- 50C 5000mAh LiPo.
The first one can deliver 3.8*25=95A of current according to the sticker. The second one can deliver 5*50=250A of current. I feel only a slight difference between the two batteries. The maximum burst current my stock Amp can draw must be something around 100A or the difference in acceleration would be much larger. That, or my higher end battery's sticker is a lie :D

Are you sure your slipper clutch slips? Have you taken it fully apart? Maybe the pad is simply stuck to the clutch disk and no amount of loosening the spring will help. People have run the stock ruckus on LiPos with the stock power system without instantly eating up their plastic gears.
As far as the slipper clutch goes how do you know how tight is tight? I have replaced the spur and moved the pads from the old to the new. I have taken the spur off several times due to doing the gears. I just tighten it till its tight. Not real sure if there's a right way or not.

I tighten mine until the spring is fully compressed, then I back it off a turn and a half. I feel this is a bit on the loose side but I'm fine with that, I'm not racing and the pads are $5 (and not even worn out).

You want the slipper tight enough to just raise the front wheels when holding the rear tight. All the way tight is not right as that doesn't allow any slipping to occur. As the slipper heats up it is supposed to grab more. There are plenty of videos. All the way down, back out 3 turns and check. 1/2 a turn and check. Keep going until the front wheels come off the ground.

Hold left tire with one hand, put the remote on top of tight tire putting pressure down on the tire to keep it from moving, then full throttle....see if front comes up. You don't want it to stand on its ass or flip, about 2 inches high is about all you want.

Fwiw, new slipper pads are about 5 bux. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B003KSIWJ0/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Interesting, I didn't know about that procedure for setting the slipper. I adjust by the squeal when doing donuts :)

Members online

Back