Broke Transmitter - what now?

TKenny

Got a Temper crawler for my 6 year old son and he loves it, but out on an icy pile he slipped with the transmitter in his hand and fell and this snapped the trigger off of it.

These things are not very servicible. I may try to cobble something out of it in the short term, but what are my options here?

1). Buy new one from Horizon hobby for $54.
2) Buy different brand of transmitter - Will any pair up with the ESC/reciver that is in the crawler now?
3) Buy a new receiver and ESC and new transmitter. - Now I gotta mount the new stuff but it could be a cadillac way to go, especially if it improved the car, left me with a better transmitter and didn't cost and arm and a leg

Does anyone have suggestions on 2) or 3)? Im pretty newb on this stuff so complete part names would be most helpful :)

Luckily I was able to “sort of glue” the tigger back on after dremmelling out a bit of the remote controller body.

It’l do for now. It looks like I can’t even get an original one from horizon hobby right now (its on backorder until April supposedly). I didn't search long, but that ecx11007 receiver might be on backorder too.

So the writing may be on the wall as far as what to do when one of these parts breaks for good.

I’d love to find a remote that was as high quality as the crawler. Opening the remote up and seeing that $30 Toys R Us quality construction has been my only disappointment with this crawler so far.

If u drill into throttle u can insert toothpick then en glue it then drill lower halve insert it onto toothpick
And glue both halves the the toothpick is basically a bone

I upgraded the receiver and ESC in my Temper and am glad I did. It's like a whole new car. I went with a 3-channel Spektrum receiver (since I already have several Spektrum transmitters) and Hobbywing's excellent QuicRun WP1080 ESC. The ESC is programmable and features braking, which is a game-changer for the Temper (compared to its stock ESC). I now use one transmitter to control all my cars (Spektrum DX5R) and have also installed a second servo on the Temper so it now has 4 wheel steering. Loads of fun!

I upgraded the receiver and ESC in my Temper and am glad I did.

Thanks for this reply! But now you just get more questions :)

I've been thinking about putting exactly this unit into mine at some point and I'm glad I dont have to wonder anymore about if it will go on my Temper. I've heard that the ability to control the throttle ("smoothness") is much improved with this esc. Is that true?

Can you tell me a bit about "braking"? I thought that was something only those with brushless motors worried about. I actually don't really understand it. Is it that you use a channel on your remote as a brake or is it that you program the esc so that the motor automatically works as a brake when your finger is not on the trigger?

I'm trying to involve my son in the modding even though he has a 6 year old's attention span. Its still loads of fun explaining why lowering the battery is a good idea, or seeing him notice the difference after we put grease on the differential gears.

Im also just itching to do the 4-link as outlined here:

https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/ecx-temper-rock-crawler.13/post-625

I'm so glad that juanmarteen made that post because those of us who have no idea what 4-link even means need all the help we can get! And he posts videos of what his ECX can do with the mods he's put on it. Very impressive.

Anyway, my son wants 4-wheel steering more than anything right now so the parts for that are on order. I'm doing it cheap for now with a y Cable and a signal reverser so it works with the current ESC but its cool to know that in the future I can get a remote with more channels and steer the back independantly when my son gets more coordinated.

Hey @TKenny I should have said "drag brake" instead of "brake." Drag brake is separate from the standard brake function. It's a common feature on brushless systems to simulate the drag of brushes on a commutator in a brushed motor. You can typically adjust the strength from none all the way to almost locked up. I'm not an engineer, but I believe it functions by adjusting the timing on the motor (brushed or brushless) to where both/all poles are applying current to resist the turning of the motor's rotor.

In a crawler, it's a nice feature so your car doesn't start coasting or freewheeling when you return throttle to neutral-- the car really does feel like its creeping and crawling along.

Here's my original post regarding my first impressions of the 1080 ESC along with a photo of the installation-- there's plenty of room for the electronics-- a little snug, but everything fits.

I really liked the Temper's "secret" 4WS steering upgrade capability.

@i_r_beej Thanks for the clarification and the link.

Not sure when I'll get to brushless with this. Maybe there are smaller motors available but Ive noticed on the Everest/maxstone threads, it sounds like you have fun with brushless until the gears and drive shafts rip out of the crawler so you end up spending a lot on replacement/upgraded parts.

Still its nice to know you can keep working on the car when you've otherwise gotten bored with it.

I apologize for the confusion-- I haven't converted my Temper to brushless and the Hobbywing WP 1080 ESC is for brushed motors ONLY. :)

So the 1080 ESC is a great upgrade for the Temper while keeping the stock motor!

Luckily I was able to “sort of glue” the tigger back on after dremmelling out a bit of the remote controller body.

It’l do for now. It looks like I can’t even get an original one from horizon hobby right now (its on backorder until April supposedly). I didn't search long, but that ecx11007 receiver might be on backorder too.

So the writing may be on the wall as far as what to do when one of these parts breaks for good.

I’d love to find a remote that was as high quality as the crawler. Opening the remote up and seeing that $30 Toys R Us quality construction has been my only disappointment with this crawler so far.

Super glue and baking soda does wonders for plastic. Apply super glue, then baking soda more super glue more baking soda. Hope this helps.

I apologize for the confusion-- I haven't converted my Temper to brushless and the Hobbywing WP 1080 ESC is for brushed motors ONLY. :)

So the 1080 ESC is a great upgrade for the Temper while keeping the stock motor!

The confusion is my fault. I didn’t assume you had brushless, but I *did* assume you could put a brushless motor on that particular ESC so its good to have that sorted out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back