Chinese brushless combo-any good?

jamkx

Hi all,

I picked up a Chinese brushless motor ESC combo during Amazon prime day to use in my Torment. It’s a 540 4370kv brushless motor with 60amp ESC. Has anyone had an experience with them? Are they any good? I was also thinking of buying the Onyx 4000kv with 70amp ESC but it’s a bit more expensive. Any thoughts? See link to the Chinese set up I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Accessory-Wa...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you gear it low enough, set your slipper properly and have the metal gear set you should be fine. Monitor your temps. Just know that regardless of what they say, not waterproof.

Thanks for the info. I am returning it. I don’t want to worry about burning out the ESC. My 7 year old son will be driving it so I’m sure he will go through water with it.

I’d run it. Just put the ESC in a plastic bag and leave the heat sink sticking out. It’s the external connections that die.

Jamkx, it looks like it might be a GoolRc motor. The reason I say that is I have their program card which looks identical in your photos. I bought a GoolRc brushless for my son and it's been ok so far. I agree with Lephturn you should just go ahead and run it. I think you will be happy with it. If something goes bad your only out $49.00, plus shipping if you paid for shipping.

Jamkx, it looks like it might be a GoolRc motor. The reason I say that is I have their program card which looks identical in your photos. I bought a GoolRc brushless for my son and it's been ok so far. I agree with Lephturn you should just go ahead and run it. I think you will be happy with it. If something goes bad your only out $49.00, plus shipping if you paid for shipping.
I’ve kinda got the same thought: It might be fun to have a second “project” RC and put one of those Ebay/knock-off brushless systems in just to see what I could do with it. The price-point is fun, but I’d be afraid of burning something up I’m my primary truck if something went wrong. If you end up installing one, I’d be curious how it turns out.

Hi All, I ordered a different brushless combo, a chinese 3650, 4300kv motor with the programming card for $32. I will let you all know how it works out. This is my spare truck that I let my son use. I also have an Arrma Big Rock.

I’d run it. Just put the ESC in a plastic bag and leave the heat sink sticking out. It’s the external connections that die.
Hi, thanks. What external connections are you talking about? I can protect the esc by some means, but would like to know what can be covered up and what should be left exposed so it does not overheat.

Hi, thanks. What external connections are you talking about? I can protect the esc by some means, but would like to know what can be covered up and what should be left exposed so it does not overheat.
The heat sink and fan leave exposed and protect the various wires from the battery, to the motor, radio and switch.See pic below, the battery wires and other connectors are soldered on externally so cover those with heat shrink or plastic or something to keep a splash of water from shorting them out.

By the way, I smoked that by putting it in a Redcat that is far too heavy for the 3,300 kv motor I put in it and running it on 3S. It was stupid fast.... for about 10 minutes. ? I replaced that with a $25 TSky 120 amp ESC that works great. Same one I run in my Amp MT.

7DCBFC8B-28A8-4622-B13E-FD84B768D0F5.jpeg

I’ve kinda got the same thought: It might be fun to have a second “project” RC and put one of those Ebay/knock-off brushless systems in just to see what I could do with it. The price-point is fun, but I’d be afraid of burning something up I’m my primary truck if something went wrong. If you end up installing one, I’d be curious how it turns out.
I bought a 4300kv 3650 motor ESC combo with programming card for $32 on EBay. The thing rips. I need a wheelie bar. I had it on 3s and was trying to do a speed run and it wheelied so hard it flipped over in the roof and slid for about 20 feet even while trying to gradually roll the throttle. I think I can get 40 or 50 mph once figure out the settings and gearing. It’s awesome

I bought a 4300kv 3650 motor ESC combo with programming card for $32 on EBay. The thing rips. I need a wheelie bar. I had it on 3s and was trying to do a speed run and it wheelied so hard it flipped over in the roof and slid for about 20 feet even while trying to gradually roll the throttle. I think I can get 40 or 50 mph once figure out the settings and gearing. It’s awesome
Watch your motor temps with a high kv motor. What pinion are you running on it?

Hi a 19 tooth with 87 tooth spur gear. I was thinking of buying a spur gear kit, but not sure what sizes would be good. Dynamite has 2 kits. Each with 5 gears. One ranges from 17 to 21 and the other 22 to 26.

The heat sink and fan leave exposed and protect the various wires from the battery, to the motor, radio and switch.See pic below, the battery wires and other connectors are soldered on externally so cover those with heat shrink or plastic or something to keep a splash of water from shorting them out.

By the way, I smoked that by putting it in a Redcat that is far too heavy for the 3,300 kv motor I put in it and running it on 3S. It was stupid fast.... for about 10 minutes. ? I replaced that with a $25 TSky 120 amp ESC that works great. Same one I run in my Amp MT.

View attachment 6567
Wow! I have a similar ESC but it is 60amp. Has the Tsky ESC held up? I was running my truck when I hit the curb. It stopped working. The ESC just keeps constantly beeping and the fan, steering and throttle and programming card do not work. The ESC does not look damaged or burnt. Any ideas? It did not come with a manual. I tried to recalibrate the throttle but no luck but I am not sure if I am doing correctly. Thing was fast when it worked, hit 47mph on 3s!

What pinion gear keeps the motor temp lower? A lower pinion or higher pinion? I currently have a 19t pinion.
Smaller pinion with fewer teeth = cooler. This gets too hot off-road on 3S but on 2S it’s still a beast and runs cool.

Wow! I have a similar ESC but it is 60amp. Has the Tsky ESC held up? I was running my truck when I hit the curb. It stopped working. The ESC just keeps constantly beeping and the fan, steering and throttle and programming card do not work. The ESC does not look damaged or burnt. Any ideas? It did not come with a manual. I tried to recalibrate the throttle but no luck but I am not sure if I am doing correctly. Thing was fast when it worked, hit 47mph on 3s!
These TSky ESCs are on sale for $24 a piece Canadian. I bought two. It has held up fine, even when it got wet, on 2S and 3S.

I had to drive to hit 68 and I’m sure I can use a fully charged 3S and crack 70. I have a 25 tooth pinion to try as well.

These TSky ESCs are on sale for $24 a piece Canadian. I bought two. It has held up fine, even when it got wet, on 2S and 3S.

I had to drive to hit 68 and I’m sure I can use a fully charged 3S and crack 70. I have a 25 tooth pinion to try as well.
Ha ha, the same thing happened to me with out the wheelie bar. Flipped over on the roof! So do you think that my ESC went bad? I unplugged and re-plugged it. I tried the throttle calibration, but still just keeps beeping. I also hooked up the motor to my other RC car and the motor worked, so I think it might be the ESC. I was just wondering if there is a procedure to reset it.

Hmmm I don’t know what the reset process is for it. It might be no good but for the price get a 120 amp. I had a Surpass 60 amp for a Redcat Volcano and I burnt it up on 3S.

Hmmm I don’t know what the reset process is for it. It might be no good but for the price get a 120 amp. I had a Surpass 60 amp for a Redcat Volcano and I burnt it up on 3S.
Thanks. I found the Tsky 120amp one on Ebay for $19 USD. Do you have a programming card for it or can you program it directly on the ESC?

Latest posts

Members online

Back