Completely clueless question about wheels and tires

i_r_beej

Hey all,

So I've had my Boost for a couple of weeks now and the local indoor tracks are all carpet. The stock tires (micro knobby/pins and ribbed up front) are not ideal and the treads are melting. I'd like to save them for actual dirt use.

I've done some browsing at the LHS's and the array of tires and wheels is bewildering. Is the hex hub on the Boost a standard size? I've noticed that other brands of wheels also have hexes, but I couldn't find any dimension information on the package.

Any general tips for buying new tires and wheels? What should I look for. Is there a recommended brand? ProLine tires seem pretty sweet and readily available.

Thanks!

The hex on ECX's are a 12mm size which is a common size used on most 1/10th scale size vehicles, with a few exceptions that still use pin drive. So most pre-mounted wheels depending on there offset (How far the center drive hub is set in) and the wheel size to clear the steering knuckles can be used in one form or another.

Cool-- thanks! I will have to pay attention to the offset since I've noticed that space is a little tight inside the current wheels with the camber links.

I know this is an oldie post, but hoping you learned in tires since then. I am really struggling with the rear handling on this car. I run outdoor off-road tracks, loose to packed conditions. It is really dry for the most part due to tracks not wanting to spend the money on watering after every race. Anyways, I am running "bowties" in the rear. It seems that this is not enough height on the knobs. I want some more height. Any suggestions?

Some tuning specs'
Timing is turned down around 3ish amps and I have that perfect trigger finger on keeping the momentum and launch. I just can't reach speeds that I want to be at because of rear washing out. I will be playing with rear shock springs, front end is dialed. I'm running 35wt rear TA oil and 30wt front. With 2 hole pistons all around. Rear turnbuckles are all the way out on rear hub with first hole adjustment on shock tower, I can't reach to the second hole due to clearance issue. I have reached full length on rear and front turnbuckles.

In the meantime, tire suggestions would be nice! Thanks

IMG_20190505_122812488.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back