Driveshafts, the best on the market by far

Grimmson

Im seeing a lot of posts asking about the best driveshafts on the market. Most reply with HR traxxas or some off brand. MIP are by far superior to HR or plastic alternatives. The metal and machining are on par with the highest quality tool steel. I have a lot of tools and MIP are like the tools your grandpa used... still working. They will outlast your car. Dont use grease, it will act like a cutting compound. Dry lube and locktight. You will need to mod RPM hubs but its extremely easy if you have a dremel tool and a sanding bit. Install the driveshafts, compress your suspension until you see where the axle is hitting the wheel carrier. Use a marker to show where you need to grind, pull it apart and grind away some plastic. Keep doing this till the wheel moves freely when fully compressed. Took me 3 tries per side or about 15 minutes per side.

Last edited:
The only issue some have with the mip, is the limited angles they can run. I actually swapped my a arms left and right so my driveshafts actually go straight from transmission to the wheel hub, instead of going forward and down (mine still go down, but not forward). But yeah, i have several trucks running MIP for a few years now, no issues yet. Thier warranty is useless though, had an issue with a tool, a manufacturing issue, and was told to go pound sand. So I am no longer a supporter of MIP, which they are the only ones who make such quality driveshafts, so kinda blows, but there are better tools out there I've found at least.

That sucks to here about poor customer service. Im looking at my car right now and i see what you mean about the angles. I wasn't aware that there was any difference between stock and MIP. I'll go out on a limb for them and say that I can only imagine what they have to deal with in the customer service department. They are selling something that requires a lot of modifications that can lead to a lot of problems. Binding issues in the wheel hub, compatibility or part #'s, proper alignment of the pins, set screws coming loose because the customer didn't use locktight... its hard to stay level headed when your customers don't know what they are doing. That being said, I didn't know about the angle difference. This should have been noted somewhere in the part description!

MIPs are good, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say otherwise. There are just too many drawbacks to having metal driveshafts to me personally.

I've never ran the Rustler driveshafts myself.

I run the - I guess you could say "standard" Traxxas HD driveshafts. I run them on 2 AMPs both with brushless 2S setups and have never had an issue.

That being said I only run 2S, so maybe on 3S they wouldn't hold up ? I'm not sure.

I've never ran the Rustler driveshafts myself.

I run the - I guess you could say "standard" Traxxas HD driveshafts. I run them on 2 AMPs both with brushless 2S setups and have never had an issue.

That being said I only run 2S, so maybe on 3S they wouldn't hold up ? I'm not sure.
I've been running the standard Traxxas HD drive shafts for the past 5 years on my trucks on 2S with no breakages. I put the rustler driveshafts on my Stampede 4 x 4 and have had good luck with them so far. My LHS sells the rustler drive shaft for the same price as the HD drive shaft. I figured I would give them a shot. So far so good on my ruckus 2wd. I'm only running a 3300 KV brushless motor on 2s. I never run 3s in my Bashers.

I've been running the standard Traxxas HD drive shafts for the past 5 years on my trucks on 2S with no breakages. I put the rustler driveshafts on my Stampede 4 x 4 and have had good luck with them so far. My LHS sells the rustler drive shaft for the same price as the HD drive shaft. I figured I would give them a shot. So far so good on my ruckus 2wd. I'm only running a 3300 KV brushless motor on 2s. I never run 3s in my Bashers.
Have you run off-road tires like the badlands on traxxas axles? I would love to go back to plastic, my rear-end is a little heavy and I dont want the extra stress on the drivetrain. 5 years is a long time

I ordered a set of traxxas driveshafts. Considering the extra weight and bad angle of MIP's... as long as the traxxas shafts hold up id say they are better.

Have you run off-road tires like the badlands on traxxas axles? I would love to go back to plastic, my rear-end is a little heavy and I dont want the extra stress on the drivetrain. 5 years is a long time
0830180801.jpg yes I run both on the street, and off-road using truggy wheels and tires

Traxxas Rustler 4x4 are my new go-to drive shafts. Much thicker than the slash 4 x 4 shafts.
I'm trying the new driveshafts out of the Traxxas Hoss Traxxas 6852A https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxa...045104&hash=item3b4f90940f:g:q3kAAOSwOCdfeK-L, you need to Dremel out the inside of the wheel hub a little bit so they can clear and just like with the Stampede driveshafts you have to drill out the end that attaches to the diff outdrive.

20201003_195713.jpg

20201005_103501.jpg

Not the cleanest job but it works. Stock on the left modded on the right.
20201005_103840.jpg

And for some comparisons from top to bottom, Stampede 4x4 rear shaft, Hoss rear shaft and Arrma 3s BLX rear shaft. The Hoss shafts are about the same size as the Arrma ones are.
20201005_104459.jpg

Awesome post
I'm trying the new driveshafts out of the Traxxas Hoss Traxxas 6852A https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxa...045104&hash=item3b4f90940f:g:q3kAAOSwOCdfeK-L, you need to Dremel out the inside of the wheel hub a little bit so they can clear and just like with the Stampede driveshafts you have to drill out the end that attaches to the diff outdrive.

View attachment 6440

View attachment 6441

View attachment 6442

And for some comparisons from top to bottom, Stampede 4x4 rear shaft, Hoss rear shaft and Arrma 3s BLX rear shaft. The Hoss shafts are about the same size as the Arrma ones are.
View attachment 6443
Awesome post! Good pics and everything.

View attachment 6440

View attachment 6441

View attachment 6442

View attachment 6443
Very informative thread, thank you!

I wish I had seen this before returning the 6852A to the LHS. Ugh...

Last edited:

View attachment 6440

View attachment 6441

View attachment 6442

View attachment 6443
@slick2500 do you think the hub carrier strength was compromised by removing material?

Are the 6852A significantly beefier then the 6852X?

@slick2500 do you think the hub carrier strength was compromised by removing material?

Are the 6852A significantly beefier then the 6852X?
I do not think it affects the integrity of the hubs.

Yes a lot beefier, the plastic that goes around the metal joints on the 6852A is thicker and wider than the 6852X. I posted a picture above showing the differences.

I have a ECX Amp Desert Buggy with a 3300kv brushless motor & was wondering if the Traxxas HD drive shafts would work without modifications?

I have a ECX Amp Desert Buggy with a 3300kv brushless motor & was wondering if the Traxxas HD drive shafts would work without modifications?
TRA6852X you just have to drill out the end that connects to the outdrive of the tranny. The inside of the end that connects to the tranny is D shaped you just need to make it O shaped is all. 5mm drill is all you need.

TRA6852X you just have to drill out the end that connects to the outdrive of the tranny. The inside of the end that connects to the tranny is D shaped you just need to make it O shaped is all. 5mm drill is all you need.
Thanks for your reply, I didn't hear anything for a while so I just ended up ordering stock ones. It was next to impossible to find anything other than the ones I had problems with previously. Hopefully they will hold up for a while I'm thinking my other ones were just old and worn out.

Latest posts

Members online

Back