ECX Temper. Thoughts and issues.

r8derhed5150

Recently back into the hobby and this is me and my son's(5yo) second truck. First one is a Losi Micro SCTe (brushless). I enjoy hitting 30mph with a tiny 6inch long car. Him not so much. So this is his favorite of the two. I'll have to say I'm equally in love with the two. I got several hours into a body mod from cheap push toy. Custom paint and lights. Came out pretty sweet. Anyway...

Today was our first run in its natural habitat. Found a sweet rock pile on an old abandoned Naval base in Alameda. Yeah, the one where Jaime and Adam break everything. The pile had a section easy enough for the boy, and tough enough for someone who has an okay understanding of the physics.

Not having used any other comparable product, I can only go by how much we enjoyed this thing. First battery ran so long, I wish I had timed it. I swear we each had about 20 minute sessions on the same charge. We were both satisfied with the time we had and still excited for the battery to finish charging again. Very happy with my purchase and I'm glad the price was cheap enough for us to try out something totally new. It cost an arm and a leg to live where I do but it's cool. I don't have any room for either one, hence the initial purchase of a 1/24 scale. At 1/18, it's still smaller than my leg so things will be okay.

So a couple of things I found out with this truck. 1st is the tires. I feel that they could be a little softer. They bite okay if you are graceful, but to avoid dropping a good chunk of change on new tires, I tried cutting the foam insert into a 10 point gear shape. This is my first attempt to soften. If I think it needs more, I'll cut a couple mm off of every other tip and see how that goes.

Next, this thing doesn't say it anywhere in or on the box but it's ready for four wheel steer. Both axels are identical so the rear is just waiting for a servo to be mounted. It's only locked out with a turnbuckle to the axel. Of course you will need to upgrade your electrics for the next channel as there is only one servo lead from the rcvr/ecs. Anyone know if you can run two servos from the same tap?

So as I stare at this nice little rear end, I notice the wheels are not square to the chassis. The static turnbickle used to anchor the back steering is about a mm too long (fully retracted). I even noticed this in a couple of YouTube videos but no one mentioned it. Someone had it on a tile floor and you can see the rear track off line when rolling. And no, it wasn't because of steering trim. So I separated one of the ball joints from the turnbuckle and use a small file to shave off about a mm from the hole end and reassembled. Definitely looks square now.

I'm a noob to crawling but this thing was quite impressive on the pile I was playing on. So last, another issue I found is (and I'm not sure term for this is) on a steep climb or where you ask for a lot of torque, the front axel tends to twist up into the air or float, loosing that corner for no reason. The wheels are pretty light. Maybe need some weights or something. Only had one battery on the rocks so far so I'll see if gets annoying.

After all, this is a hobby. Even though it's an RTR, you can still strip it down and replace every part and modify it. Not sure how it hold holds up over time so I can't say yet if I would recommend it to a non-tinkering consumer.

I'm back from the old school. Built several of the popular Tamiya 10s from the 80's. Blackfoot, Boomerang, Grasshopper, Clod buster, etc.. Saw the first Kyoshos come around and that's about where I left off. The stuff they got today? Wow. Programmable ecx, telemetry, GPS, and FPV? WTH??? For a guy who works on industrial machinery, 3 phase multi-hp motors, variable frequency drives, and PLC's for a living, I can't wait to get my hands on this rc pr0n again. I'm holding this truck responsible for really bringing the interest back for me. Looking forward to a full build and beyond.

The price is right. If you are thinking about it, get it. You won't be disappointed if you haven't been spoiled with a super nice one already. Perfect if you are looking for a starter or an El Nino entertainer like I was. My 5 yo. loves to be crawled on. No problem over his torso while laying on the floor. Only $129. Come on you know you want one.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with anything around here. Just a happy owner letting you know how much fun were (I'm) having with it.

Last edited:
Uh oh. Third battery charge. And something is not right. I don't know if there is a lvc on these, but at 7.5v this thing keeps stopping and flashing. Only worried because this (stock) battery was at 8.4v when I put it in and only driven it for not even 5 minutes and it started stalling and flashing. Comes back 10 seconds later. It's late so I'm just letting the included charger run it for the recommended 9 hours and try again. Hope its no biggie.

Welcome to the site @r8derhed5150! Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences with the Temper. I don't have one, so I can't comment much on what you say.

However, I'm interested in your modding of the Losi micro SCTE. I do have one of those, me and my 3 year old love to drive that around the house and in the driveway. If you get a chance you could post up a thread with what you've done with the SCTE. I've been pretty happy with mine, except balding the tires really easily.

Welcome to the site @r8derhed5150! Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences with the Temper. I don't have one, so I can't comment much on what you say.

However, I'm interested in your modding of the Losi micro SCTE. I do have one of those, me and my 3 year old love to drive that around the house and in the driveway. If you get a chance you could post up a thread with what you've done with the SCTE. I've been pretty happy with mine, except balding the tires really easily.
Thanks @X as much fun as I had with the scte, I gotta do it some justice and share it here. That truck got a hand full of guys interested and even prompted a coworker to purchase one. I'll let you know when it's up.

Thanks for the find @Mark. I'm going to do the conversion this weekend. I didn't realize that you could run two servos on a single tap. So simple, I love it. I'll save the independent 4WS for the next rig. Full time is good enough for our first truck. My son will really dig that. I can see the amazement in his eyes already when he twists up the suspension. This will blow his mind.

Glad I could help. My son got me back into the hobby.Let us know how it works out. Please post some pictures. One question how is the Temper on an incline when you stop does it roll back or forward? I'm really interested in a rock crawler or a small four wheel drive monster truck for the winter.

Glad I could help. My son got me back into the hobby.Let us know how it works out. Please post some pictures. One question how is the Temper on an incline when you stop does it roll back or forward? I'm really interested in a rock crawler or a small four wheel drive monster truck for the winter.
Sorry, I'm working on this and my PC not cooperating. I swore I had it all posted up and now I'm not sure where it went. I promise I'll get my pics up @Mark.

Being the the battery is at the highest point of the chassis, it does make it a little top heavy, but I don't think it's too bad. Depending on how long I wait to get my next rig, I may play around with a better battery configuration/location. Just messing around we stretched a yoga mat down some stairs and it climbs pretty good. The right front will torque up into he air sometimes though as you crest. Anyone know a remedy for that? I'm too new to crawlers. I'm sure there are tricks to the trade.

Attachments

• CAM00689.jpg
    CAM00689.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
CAM00716.jpg So I don't get home from work till about 11pm and i have to get a bedroom bash session in before bed. But this gearbox cover is super noisy. Other than protection, it's also a resonator. It sounds just like my dad's 40yo. Craftsman power drill. So I tore off an old tire from a micro sct wheel and used it as a sound dampner. Wish it could be made out of molded rubber instead.

Last edited:
CAM00717.jpg So far the truck is a hit. Price to fun ratio is right where I like it. Room for extras. With that said, I noticed that there is a set of full aluminum shocks for this. Do you think these would remedy this crazy torque twist it does? It's starting to get out of hand.

Maybe putting some spring spacers on the bodies? Anyone know what's the best way to go. Is the shock upgrade functionally superior or just aesthetics?

I just placed an order for a matching servo, Venom 2000mah 2s with multi connectors, steering links, servo splitters, and a pair of some nice machined 23t 18mm servo horns.

couldn't find a Spektrum S603 pretty much anywhere. I guess it's just for production units only and probably numbered as something else. Any who, I guess I probably could have used a different servo but I had balance in my mind. I didn't want to throw something weird at an budget reciever. I'm a little skeptical doing it anyway but ehh, it will be an excuse to upgrade radios.

I do eventually want to get a bigger crawler and put one of those traxxas sound systems in it. I got my eye on one of those Axials with the K5 body. I'm so in love. I can finally have my dream truck again. Had a real one in high school but some jealous types destroyed it. I wouldn't mind resurrecting her into scale...

Never seen anything like this in any of the videos that i looked at. Guess i'll have to look into it some more.

Never seen anything like this in any of the videos that i looked at. Guess i'll have to look into it some more.
I think I figured out what's going on. It's an evil battle of forces going on. For one thing, I didn't realize that it really only happens when I'm playing in the house on carpet or in my photo, the bed. These tires grab excellent on low pile and software bed sheets. So because of the locked rear axle, it can't bring it around the turn as fast with the inside tire gripping so hard fighting to keep the axle going on the initial line. Then you got the outside front that wants to turn and it keeps turning. Add the crazy torque in and sure it's gonna start twisting up, duh. I did forget to mention that it only torques up the right wheel only. On the same token, these stock shocks seemed to have broken in pretty loose now. Maybe a little too loose. Wish they had some shock spacers included for this. Might try some zip ties to see if it will remedy.

Last edited:
View attachment 46 So far the truck is a hit. Price to fun ratio is right where I like it. Room for extras. With that said, I noticed that there is a set of full aluminum shocks for this. Do you think these would remedy this crazy torque twist it does? It's starting to get out of hand.

Maybe putting some spring spacers on the bodies? Anyone know what's the best way to go. Is the shock upgrade functionally superior or just aesthetics?

I just placed an order for a matching servo, Venom 2000mah 2s with multi connectors, steering links, servo splitters, and a pair of some nice machined 23t 18mm servo horns.

couldn't find a Spektrum S603 pretty much anywhere. I guess it's just for production units only and probably numbered as something else. Any who, I guess I probably could have used a different servo but I had balance in my mind. I didn't want to throw something weird at an budget reciever. I'm a little skeptical doing it anyway but ehh, it will be an excuse to upgrade radios.

I do eventually want to get a bigger crawler and put one of those traxxas sound systems in it. I got my eye on one of those Axials with the K5 body. I'm so in love. I can finally have my dream truck again. Had a real one in high school but some jealous types destroyed it. I wouldn't mind resurrecting her into scale...

Hi, yesterday i installed a zip tie on top of the shocks. It really helped with the torque issue and the top heavy roll. On the other hand, i might remove the zip tie in front to see if the rig will regain some of its original twist (front). Ordered the parts for the rear steering mod. Looking forward to using it.

Sweet! I kinda thought these springs were a little too soft. I'm going to play around with them today on the rocks because I've only been playing around with it in the house and and its just too much traction. The axles just fight each other.I'm hoping the 4 wheel steering will help the worst of it, the right hand turn on high grip surface. Back axle wants to keep going straight while the rest of the car tries to turn right and add the motor torque and bodies start popping on the tires aye yay yaye...

I think sometimes we just expect a lot out these things and forget that at scale, not all attributes are to scale like tire grip, weight, balance etc. and its just not as harmonious as the real thing and is often overlooked. Some take it at face value, and others will take the time to find that harmony.

Anyway, glad you found us here @Madmax40 and welcome to the forum. I'm pretty fresh back into the hobby myself and haven't been able to keep my hands off this truck. My rear steer is almost complete. Just need a servo horn and y-cable. If I can find at my LHS then it will be done today. Otherwise its all en route till Monday. Already looking cool with the servo mounted. Like its ready for business.

Would post a pic but I broke my phone last night. Feels great to get rid of the leash, but now its gonna push my next build out a couple more weeks:(

Okay, stole my son's tablet so I could post pics
2015-10-10 09.11.44.jpg 2015-10-10 09.10.45.jpg

Last edited:
Alright well four wheel steering is working but it's not done. I thought it was going to be a simple "plug and play" like the video suggested. When I first hooked the second servo up the truck was in "crab". I thought it would be a simple lead flip to get it to work. Nope. It's digItal and the drive circuit needs proper power first. So the cheapest solution is to just modify the servo by switching polarity on the potentiometer and the motor as wwell. Okay cool. Nope not cool. This particular servo is water proof and the motor and control board are epoxied in and leads are inaccessible. So rather than give up on it or order a new servo, in the meanwhile I managed to find a working configuration for the back servo. All I did was flup it so it faces inward and mounted it in the plate one space up using only the top mount holes so the servo floats allowing the horn to clear the axle pumpkin.

But in an effort to get his hands dirty, I got my dad interested in making it happen and is gonna make a his own servo manager. I found a servo manager ato hobby king and I guess it allows you to change rates and flip direction. He's an electronics enginner so I asked him to build a telepathic remote control for these. Told me that I'm gonna need Doc Brown for that one. No but he's working on some switching circuit that flips the signal somehow. Too advanced for me.

20151011_103733.jpg 20151011_103759.jpg 20151011_103826.jpg20151011_105916.jpg
Please forgive the rats nest. Just haven't gotten to sealing it up yet. We're super excited to hit the rocks today. Had about a 40 minute session on the water yesterday. Impressive size rocks and this thing made it from the top al the way down to the sand and back up again. Getting up took much longer. Had to find the right line, but they were all very challenging. I talking hard core scale climbing for is size. I thought no way at first. I had a crowd as big as 7 people just watching in amazment, asking questions about it. One person took off to the LHS (5 min away) after i told him they have one there. This thing is fully capable even with these tires which honestly, I had little very faith in at first. Just eat a lttle meat off of the inserts and they are nice. Keeping these tires till are they are dead. I must post a video to show how good this thing can really climb. Trying to get my son dressed and out the door!

Last edited:
Ah, I guess I'll have to pull out some ITT Tech knowledge when the slow boat arrives with mine. Love what you're doing with this, and it's making it very hard for me to sit calmly and wait. I might have to bust out a nitro this week, even if it is wet out...

Made our way to the the beach today. Only took our new Venom 2000 mah 2s and had a non stop two hour session. The tires aren't the best in the sand, but they did hang in there. The four wheel steering really brings out the value in this vehicle. The turning radius is nice and tight. Almost looks to be about a 1 foot radius. It seems to perform much better on our new found course at the marina. 2WS took several tries to get back up to the top. Went back the next day with 4WS and was back on top in no time. Think I made it down and up about 3 times in the same time it took to get back up the day before. The only must have I want for this truck now is just a little more speed. I got a Traxxas 380 motor on the way. Should be here tomorrow. I think its an 18 turn. I have no idea what the stock is. All I know is its a Dynamite. But i'm hoping my gamble with a 3s pays off. If I can get it to go faster without a brushless rig, then I may invest in some rims/tires and some better shocks. Otherwise I'm getting way too sucked into this crawling business that I don't know how long I can keep a super crawler off of my shelf. I'm hooked. Line and sinker. I'm about to go broke and I don't care.

Last edited:
Hi, yesterday i installed a zip tie on top of the shocks. It really helped with the torque issue and the top heavy roll. On the other hand, i might remove the zip tie in front to see if the rig will regain some of its original twist (front). Ordered the parts for the rear steering mod. Looking forward to using it.

@Madmax40 Have you opened these up yet? I thought for sure they were going to be grease shocks but to my surprise they are oil filled. Pretty thick, looks somewhere between 50-75wt. I'm in the middle of topping them off now. They were only about half to two thirds full. Even feel a little gritty when the piston transitions out of the oil. Still not the best shocks, but feel so much better after topping up. Hoping this will help with the torque twist.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back