ECX Torment Castle creation gearing

TormentRC

Hi everyone

I have an ECX Torment 2wd 1:10 RC and I run big bore aluminium shocks, Proline Badlands SC 2.2/3.0 and a Castle Creations sidewinder 3 SC 1406 4600Kv brushless combo.

I just recently installed this brushless system into my RC. I am following the Castle creations gearing chart for ECX Torment. It says you can use the 48pitch 87T spur gear and run a 12 to 16Tooth pinion gear. Now I am asking if using a 16Tooth pinion to 87 tooth spur is any good? I generally use mine for bashing around on my street and in the park so I generally go fast in a straightline on my street but also drive around and bash a little. I think my stock gearing is 19T to 87T. What is good enough to start popping wheelies and also gain a faster speed without overheating the electronics? I live in Australia and I don't wanna go to hot because the weather in summer overheats the electronics. So my main question is a 16Tooth to 87Tooth gearing any good to run and gain torque and speed from?

Thanks!

Not sure whats the perfect gear ratio. But going less teeth on your pinion will make the top speed a little slower but will make more torque on the lower end .

I have the same brushless setup on a stock pinion/spur on a ruckus and it can do backflips no problem.

Did you calibrate the esc? This esc requires it when first installing and if you dont it will be quite underpowered.

I would think even with your current pinion size you should be popping wheelies no problem.

Last edited:
If you want wheelies go with a wider tire not short course tires easier to wheelie with big (wide) tires like on the Ruckus. If you get enough traction (tires stick) you might be able to wheelie with short course tires. You might try to tighten the slipper a little bit a loose slipper will prevent wheelies. Wheelies can be fun but on SCT's I don't want (or expect) wheelies unless I am running MT tires but that's just me.

Not sure whats the perfect gear ratio. But going less teeth on your pinion will make the top speed a little slower but will make more torque on the lower end .

I have the same brushless setup on a stock pinion/spur on a ruckus and it can do backflips no problem.

Did you calibrate the esc? This esc requires it when first installing and if you dont it will be quite underpowered.

I would think even with your current pinion size you should be popping wheelies no problem.
No I did not calibrate my ESC I am using default settings with 2s lipo 5200mah battery

Ok I took what you said into consideration and adjusted my slipper about 6.5 turns but not programmed the esc because I never touched my settings.

What options do you use in the esc to program it to boost this without overheating? I do not have a programmer so use the transmitter.

Its all in the manual if you have it still. Here is the procedure. Castle quick start guide. As you can see it says YOU MUST calibrate it. Its going to be a lot faster truck after you do this at least it was when I did it on my ruckus. Dont worry about it saying before first run. I didn't notice this till like after my third run lol. Also I had to have my throttle trim set to max for it to calibrate.
20861454.jpg

Last edited:
Alright yeah haha. I still have all my guides and manuals and it said to adjust the punch control limit to pop wheelies.

Did you calibrate and try it out and did you find a difference? I know for me once I calibrated it was like a different truck.

I mean I did calibrate it first time I started it up but with default settings. But I didn't even have to program the esc and only tightened the slipper 8 turns then gave it a test run and it started popping wheelies already.

But the programming part I left cause I think its better if I have the castle link programmer cause not the best at doing it with a transmitter. But thanks anyways for your help.

If you want wheelies go with a wider tire not short course tires easier to wheelie with big (wide) tires like on the Ruckus. If you get enough traction (tires stick) you might be able to wheelie with short course tires. You might try to tighten the slipper a little bit a loose slipper will prevent wheelies. Wheelies can be fun but on SCT's I don't want (or expect) wheelies unless I am running MT tires but that's just me.
On 2S, yes, wheelies are harder with SCT tires. If you want consistent wheelies, either go with tires with better grip (SCT or MT tires), or, tighten the slipper a little, and run 3S. All of my SCT's (Arrma Fury, Losi 22S, ECX Torment, Traxxas Slash) run Proline Badlands SC, and, on 3S, every one of my trucks will pull easy wheelies. All of my trucks run a 32P gear though, which also helps. Of the 4, my Losi 22S is the only one that will pull wheelies on 2S, with almost any tire, even cheap eBay SCT tires, but, that has a slipper eliminator as well.

On 2S, yes, wheelies are harder with SCT tires. If you want consistent wheelies, either go with tires with better grip (SCT or MT tires), or, tighten the slipper a little, and run 3S. All of my SCT's (Arrma Fury, Losi 22S, ECX Torment, Traxxas Slash) run Proline Badlands SC, and, on 3S, every one of my trucks will pull easy wheelies. All of my trucks run a 32P gear though, which also helps. Of the 4, my Losi 22S is the only one that will pull wheelies on 2S, with almost any tire, even cheap eBay SCT tires, but, that has a slipper eliminator as well.
You do know this thread is like 3 years old right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back