First R/C purchase

Plus his son is 9. 9 year olds don't handle 35mph cars very well. My 8 and 9 year old have 2 years of driving RC's under their belt, and I still feel the need to turn down the EPA for them when they run my brushless cars. My 8 year old girl can handle a 15-20 mph car fine (brushed Torment speeds) but my 9 year old boy need it slowed down to about 10-15mph to stay in control.

This is another way the AMP would be nicer - I believe it has throttle DR on the radio. Easy to turn the dial and slow the car down. For the Torment with the DX2E, I had to do the ball of Velcro behind the trigger trick to slow it down. Works, but kind of red neck. NTTIAWWT...

Then with the AMP, you get Nimh too... LOL

Plus his son is 9. 9 year olds don't handle 35mph cars very well.

When 10yo nephew handled my BL Ruckus and Arrma Typhon without issues 15min after driving an RC car for the first time (besides a crawler but these top out at 10mph), I was completely amazed. Kid was going round the track and landing jumps really well.
Still had a tendency to drive too fast and try to wheelie as much as possible, but hey, he's 10.
Maybe it's video games, maybe it runs in the family as my wife drives like a rally pilot lol.

When 10yo nephew handled my BL Ruckus and Arrma Typhon without issues 15min after driving an RC car for the first time (besides a crawler but these top out at 10mph), I was completely amazed. Kid was going round the track and landing jumps really well.
Still had a tendency to drive too fast and try to wheelie as much as possible, but hey, he's 10.
Maybe it's video games, maybe it runs in the family as my wife drives like a rally pilot lol.

LOL, yeah, my little girl is like that. Last time at the track, she was running really well, so I let her have full EPA in her 1/16 bushless monster truck - it runs about 25-30mph. She did great till she saw it doing cartwheels. Then that was all she wanted to do - take the biggest jump WOT, whack the brakes mid air, and watch it cartwheel for 30' off the track... LOL. Yeah, she broke it. Twice. I really should have turned the throttle back down after I fixed the first break... LOL

In this case you giving this advice is the reason he would have problems in the first place. His truck comes with a lipo, he gets a second lipo, done.
If he buys mixed types, he opens himself to forggetting to switch the ESC to the right battery.
Jeez.

First, keep it civil please.

Second, he hasn't yet bought a kit. In my first response I DID make an incorrect battery recommendation based on the product he initially expressed an interest in (and I also mistakenly linked to a battery with the wrong connector).

Would the AMP be a better starting truck?

The radio system that ships with the AMP (truck or buggy) provides easy "dual rate" adjustment on the throttle. This means that you can turn down the throttle response. Like a throttle limiter on a motorcycle. It's a good feature for beginners and something I've demo'ed when loaning my AMP to newbs at the track. Depends on the age of your child.

However, the AMP is a very basic truck and will require more upgrades in the future. The Torments would be a better choice for an older child (or you if you "inherit" the truck.)

I went with the Torment. I also ordered a different charger and a extra battery.
We will both learn how to drive and maintain it, looking forward to it. I wish we had a local track and races but we do not.
We do have a 4 wheeler track in the back yard and will build off of that.

Thanks for all the help and information...

Now one last question before he takes it out for a spin what should I check, adjust, tighten, ect.

Some say drop it and run it, some will say RTR means "Ready To REbuild". I would say give it a look over, check wheel nuts (and put some Traxxas serrated wheel nuts on order), and run it. First few throttle hits, listen to the motor and see if the slipper is too loose (you can hear it - slip for 1-3 feet is OK for WOT hits with traction)

Mostly, have fun!

I'll +1 @Jerry-Rigged

One common issue is inconsistent fluid level in the shocks. But don't worry about it just yet. Just give everything a "pre-drive walkaround" to look for anything obviously loose or any screws not completely driven in. The suspension swing arms will all have a little play at both inboard and outboard pivots-- that's normal.

If you got the Torment with a brushed motor I'd recommend breaking in the motor. It's easy to do and only takes a few minutes. There are more complicated methods (effort=results) but they aren't really critical.

Just put the truck up on a block or other object to get the wheels up off the surface. Plug everything in, turn the radio on, turn the car on, and then turn the throttle trim until the wheels start turning. Then turn the trim a little more. Running the motor like this without (much) of a load will help the brushes wear in to the commutator for better contact. This will improve motor longevity and reliability and reduce sparking and scoring of the brushes and commutator.

If you got the Torment with a brushless motor- you're good. No break in required. Hit the dirt!

OP, you can get tool sets for cheap if needed, but all tools come with the car normally:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/startup-tool-set:-ecx-vtr-hpi-dynt0500

I'd get a spur and slipper pads, driveshafts too. A few extra body pins, glassfiber tape to reinforce/fix the body, SHOULDER SCREWS!
Try this method to save your body from damage. These are 99 cent plastic drawer handles reinforced with .062 by 1/2 wide by 3 1/2 long aluminum flat.
They work great and saves the body from damage.

Attachments

• 2500.jpeg
    2500.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170815_222627.jpg
    20170815_222627.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170815_222559.jpg
    20170815_222559.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 9
  • 2708.jpeg
    2708.jpeg