How do you troubleshoot no steering?

Beancents

Recently got an AMP DB and after just a few runs I've lost steering!

It still goes forward and back like normal though...

I was thinking about just buying a new servo, but then I was able to get the wheels to turn when lifted off the ground. Although, this won't happen consistently and I haven't gotten it to turn on the ground as if maybe it isn't getting enough power.

This is making me think maybe the issue is not servo, but actually the ESC...

How do I figure out which part needs to be replaced?

Couple of questions.
Is this a stock amp?
Can you hear the steering servo turning when it is both on the ground and in the air?
Have you checked the steering servo saver? Can you turn the steering by hand. meaning is it free and not bound up?

Ok, maybe is was more than a couple, let's go with several.....

I am guessing servo saver, but stripped or loose servo horn and splines next.
I know on one of my Torments when I got it (used) the servo saver was just toast, very loosey goosey.

its most likely loose screw or stripped servo horn, if its that get a metal geared servo and it wont ever happen again

Couple of questions.
Is this a stock amp?
Can you hear the steering servo turning when it is both on the ground and in the air?
Have you checked the steering servo saver? Can you turn the steering by hand. meaning is it free and not bound up?
Stock amp yes, but I have been running a 2s lipo... It is bound up. No sound from the servo. It will turn right randomly, but never back left. I can center it by hand but there is a lot of resistance.

Servo saver looked fine, but I didn't disassemble it. Could it be that's what's binding it? I thought the only issue the servo saver would have would be loosening, not tightening.

I would take the servo saver completely off the servo, and then see if the servo itself actually moves, when you use your transmitter. If it does spin like it should and sounds ok`ish, then work backwards to the servo saver and steering components.

Now this doesn't rule out a servo going bad or weak.

I would take the servo saver completely off the servo, and then see if the servo itself actually moves...
The servo was bad! Took it completely apart as suggested, and the servo wouldn't move independently. Took it to my LHS and they were able to confirm for me with a tester! I asked them what could have caused it to go bad and they said the stock servos are just known for it 🤷‍♂️

I'm running the recommended S6170 now, wish me luck... If anyone could could give me some tips how to avoid busting another servo, that would be awesome! 😅

Well all I can say is I am still running the stock servo on two of my Torments, so I am not sure their suggestion that stock servo's are just "known for it', is totally accurate, although they may see way more failed servo's than I ever will.
I realize hind sight is 20/20 at times, but if if you would have posted before purchasing a new servo, I would have recommended getting an all steel gear servo. But it's not a "have to" type of thing.

I think you will be ok with this one, just try not to run into anything hard, a lot. But that is why you have a servo saver.

I was definitely just eager to get it back on the road, I guess patience is a virtue.

After I installed the new servo, I noticed it twitching randomly when turning. Is this normal?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back