Kinexsis 4000 KV brushless combo gears upgrade

BriaN

I am thinking of buying the Kinexsis 4000 KV brushless combo, do you guys have any advice for any upgrade gears? I’m kind of nooby to the hobby. I still don’t get what the gearing ratios mean.... links would be very helpful because I want parts that will fit my ECX amp.

I am thinking of buying the Kinexsis 4000 KV brushless combo, do you guys have any advice for any upgrade gears? I’m kind of nooby to the hobby. I still don’t get what the gearing ratios mean.... links would be very helpful because I want parts that will fit my ECX amp.

Go with gear ratios on paper if you want in actual use the numbers don't take into account how something is being used. Let temps be your guide for gearing (i.e. motor temp esc temp) as setups are different, the way one person runs can be different, where you run can be different and so on.

If you want to stay with the plastic diff and don't need crazy speed get a (3650) 2700kv to 3100kv motor. Even a 2700kv motor is a good step up from brushed especially from the stock 20t motor. When moving from brushed to brushless start with the brushed stock pinion on the new brushless motor. If you are happy with the speed no need to get more pinions unless you want to go faster.

Got a combo like this https://www.amazon.com/FastWin-Sensorless-Brushless-ESC(Electric-Controller)/dp/B074Z457XQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=toys-and-games&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1536278512&sr=1-8&keywords=3100kv&refinements=p_85:2470955011 in a 90's Rustler with stock plastic diff fast enough to have fun but not too hard on the diff and drive shafts.

Also if running the plastic diff and brushless loosen up the slipper some. If you want to be safe get the metal gear diff if anything you can have it on standby should you ruin the plastic diff if you are still running the plastc diff.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, do you know what the body dimensions are for the amp? Including the wheel base?

If I DO buy a combo, I will probably get a metal 15 T pinion gear, would that be fine, do you know if any pinion gear will fit my ECX amp? Or can you link one that is 15T that will fit?

If I DO buy a combo, I will probably get a metal 15 T pinion gear, would that be fine, do you know if any pinion gear will fit my ECX amp? Or can you link one that is 15T that will fit?

What is wrong with using the pinion you already have on your brushed motor? Get whatever combo you want start with your stock brushed (I believe 20t pinion) and run it.

Want to try different gears get a set like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dynami...306242&hash=item4d66c4c660:g:~Q8AAOSwsYpZ~M5X

If you go with the 4000kv set up, you will definitely need the metal gear diff. Kinexsis also has a 3000kv combo that might be better suited for the Amp. I have a 3300kv motor in a 2wd Ruckus and it it plenty fast.

Your pinion gear is already metal. I’d follow the advice given above to start off with the stock gearing and see how it is. If you decide to go with a larger pinion (more top speed) or a smaller pinion (better acceleration) just tell the shop you need a standard 1/10 pinion in whatever tooth count you choose. A change of 1 tooth on the pinion will be fairly noticeable. I run Traxxas because they’re readily available and come in any size you’ll ever need.

As mentioned with the metal diff gears, a metal spur gear (large plastic gear that mates with the pinion) will increase durability and a very good choose for fine tuning as it will take approx 4 teeth in the spur to equal 1 tooth on the pinion, but in the opposite direction (smaller spur = more top speed, larger spur = better acceleration). Again, watch your temps of both the motor and ESC.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Your pinion gear is already metal. I’d follow the advice given above to start off with the stock gearing and see how it is. If you decide to go with a larger pinion (more top speed) or a smaller pinion (better acceleration) just tell the shop you need a standard 1/10 pinion in whatever tooth count you choose. A change of 1 tooth on the pinion will be fairly noticeable. I run Traxxas because they’re readily available and come in any size you’ll ever need.

As mentioned with the metal diff gears, a metal spur gear (large plastic gear that mates with the pinion) will increase durability and a very good choose for fine tuning as it will take approx 4 teeth in the spur to equal 1 tooth on the pinion, but in the opposite direction (smaller spur = more top speed, larger spur = better acceleration). Again, watch your temps of both the motor and ESC.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Thanks! Oops, I got mixed uped between the pinion and spur lol. I will take your advice! I’ll try out the stock gearing first! When I do get a combo, I will reply

We have the Kinexsis 4000 KV motor on our AMP. We upgraded to the metal differential gears. We are still running the stock plastic spur gear and it has been fine. The stock spur has a 48p tooth pitch. The Kinexsis motors come with a 1/8inch shaft. Any compatible pinion gear (⅛ diameter shaft, 48p) will work. The bigger the pinion the faster the truck goes but the higher the load on the motor so the hotter it will get. It also depends a lot on terrain. On pavement or short grass the motor load is less and we can run a 21t pinion and keep motor temperature okay (<170F or so). In tall grass, 2 weeks of not mowing the lawn, the 18t we have is still too big and I wish we had a 16t.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back