New to the Hobby, looking to upgrade my AMP MT

MADitto

Hello everyone,
So as you can tell, I'm new to the hobby. I picked up an AMP MT at my local hobby shop. I have a few questions on whats available for mods.

So far I have focused on tires and suspension. I put on a set (rear only) of Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs.
ECX Aluminum Shocks (front and rear), and RPM A-arms (front and rear). I would like to finish up the suspension before moving on to the drive train.

What other parts can I upgrade with the suspension?

Also, if you have general recommendations please send them my way.

It looks like you got all the suspension covered. What weight oil did you put in?

I'd fix the sloppy steering next.

In addition to the RPM suspension arms, don't forget the caster blocks, front spindle blocks (steering knuckle) and the rear axle carriers. If you get those, you'll also need to buy new, larger bearings.

Then I think you can move on to the next thing: Steering. Check out my thread about upgrading the steering with Associated parts in this AMP forum. Then get RPM's "servo saver eliminator" steering assembly and a metal-geared servo with plenty of torque.

It looks like you got all the suspension covered. What weight oil did you put in?

I'd fix the sloppy steering next.
32.5, funny I never knew it came like that.

I noticed when I took apart the shocks to add the oil, each one looked like it was already full. I did add a few drops to each. Is that how they normally come? Should I have emptied the shock then added all new oil?

In addition to the RPM suspension arms, don't forget the caster blocks, front spindle blocks (steering knuckle) and the rear axle carriers. If you get those, you'll also need to buy new, larger bearings.

Then I think you can move on to the next thing: Steering. Check out my thread about upgrading the steering with Associated parts in this AMP forum. Then get RPM's "servo saver eliminator" steering assembly and a metal-geared servo with plenty of torque.

Thanks for the recommendations, I ordered the aluminum caster and steering blocks, along with the rear hubs. I was able to swap out the plastic camberlinks and turnbuckles for aluminum ones. (front and rear)

1462236597830952372267.jpg 1462236597830952372267.jpg 1462236654590-488112852.jpg 1462236629579-1926890660.jpg

The stock shocks sometimes come a bit underfilled, not sure about the aluminium ones but it's a good thing you checked it and topped them up. You don't have to empty them, there's no problem with mixing silicon oil.

So I am making a list of the upgrades as I do them. This is simply for me to keep track of what I have done, and use it as a reference.

As of 5/8/2016

Tires:
Pro-line Dirt Hawgs (rear)

Suspension:
ECX Aluminum Shocks (front and rear)
RPM Oversized Front Spindle Blocks
RPM Heavy Duty Caster Blocks
RPM Oversized Rear Axle Carriers
RPM A-arms (front and rear)
Traxxas Turnbuckles Camber Links (front and rear)

Steering:
RPM servo savor eliminator
Ultra Torque Metal Gear Servo

Drive train:
ECX Metal Gear Set

Power:
2S Lipo 5200
Low voltage alarm

Switched out the radio and receiver to a Spektrum DX2E and SR310. Also swapped out the motor and ESC with the Sidewinder 3 4600Kv.

I got 30.5 mph on the GPS. Looking to do some gearing.

I also put on a set of aluminum rear hubs.

Next on the list is PL Dirt Hawgs up front and AVC receiver.

Update:
Dirt Hawgs up front. Also picked up a set of PL Street Fighter 2.8, as the asphalt was eating the tread on the hawgs.
I figured I would swap them over as needed.

I picked up a 21T and 26T pinion gears. I am currently running the 26T. I still need to get the gps speed, but I would guess its around 40-45 mph (with a 2 cell)

I am thinking of doing the chassis extension. Fitting the torment front and rear bumpers. That way I can fit it with the PL Desert militia body. (obviously need the extended body mounts, and switch the shock towers)

Members online

No members online now.
Back