Problems with new replacement ESC for Rukus 2 wd trucks

Erik

I have been flagged for trying to figure out the problem with the Replacement ESC units sent out to those of us that have LiPo Rukus 2wd units...After doing some reading up on the power supply to this unit, I have learned that an 1800 mAh LiPo battery is not enough to supply the unit with the replacement ESC, DYNS2210. Increasing the battery power, however burns the stock motor up. It seems to me that Horizon Hobby needs to come clean and correct this issue properly...

Very strange man. It sounds more like this ESC is simply broken, has a massive leak current somewhere. If you put a tiny dinky motor on the ESC, it should only draw a tiny current from the battery, you know? So on the stock motor, run times could be lower if the ESC it replaced was a bottleneck on hard acceleration, but seeing how the original is rated 45A and this one 60A, you'd expect the absolute maximum runtime difference it could ever produce is 33%. Unless the burst current rating is dis-proportionally higher, I don't know that by heart.

Very strange man. It sounds more like this ESC is simply broken, has a massive leak current somewhere. If you put a tiny dinky motor on the ESC, it should only draw a tiny current from the battery, you know? So on the stock motor, run times could be lower if the ESC it replaced was a bottleneck on hard acceleration, but seeing how the original is rated 45A and this one 60A, you'd expect the absolute maximum runtime difference it could ever produce is 33%. Unless the burst current rating is dis-proportionally higher, I don't know that by heart.

If amps (current supplied to a motor )exceeds its capabilities, it fries

If amps (current supplied to a motor )exceeds its capabilities, it fries

I got 2 of these Rukus 2wd trucks at Christmas, and replaced both of the ESC's at the same time when I heard about the recall. What are the chances of both of the ESC's being defective? Come on...

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:
If a company sends out a replacement part to remedy a design problem, it should be as good or hopefully better than the the original product that they recalled.... I have no reason to lie about the facts of this matter. Which is exactly what I told Chuck at "Product Support"

Last edited:
If a company sends out a replacement part to remedy a design problem, it should be as good or hopefully better than the the original product that they recalled.... I have no reason to lie about the facts of this matter. Which is exactly what I told Chuck at "Product Support"

I guess I'll send it in to HH and see what they come up with

Last edited:
xlDooM.. what is your real name and where do you live? i'd like to come up and chat with you

I'm in Belgium. I don't work for Horizon. Their 60A ESC is obviously a badly designed part and you have every right to be disgruntled.

I disagree with "If amps (current supplied to a motor )exceeds its capabilities, it fries". A motor will draw a current based on its rpm and the load it's working against. The ESC does not push current into it, the motor draws it from the ESC. If the ESC has high enough current capacity that it does not become a bottleneck though, you can fry any motor by running it under too much or too little load (surface, tires, gearing). Basically you want to operate the motor in a zone where it has good efficiency, so that more of the current is converted into motion and less into heat.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, this isn't your fault, I'm just pointing out that overspeccing the ESC for the motor is not in itself something that should bother the motor. I'm also not saying it's normal for your motor to fry. It isn't. But cause and effect can be unclear with issues like this.

None of this is helping you of course. I'd give the truck and all accessories to Chuck and tell him to call you when it's running right.

I'm in Belgium. I don't work for Horizon. Their 60A ESC is obviously a badly designed part and you have every right to be disgruntled.

I disagree with "If amps (current supplied to a motor )exceeds its capabilities, it fries". A motor will draw a current based on its rpm and the load it's working against. The ESC does not push current into it, the motor draws it from the ESC. If the ESC has high enough current capacity that it does not become a bottleneck though, you can fry any motor by running it under too much or too little load (surface, tires, gearing). Basically you want to operate the motor in a zone where it has good efficiency, so that more of the current is converted into motion and less into heat.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, this isn't your fault, I'm just pointing out that overspeccing the ESC for the motor is not in itself something that should bother the motor. I'm also not saying it's normal for your motor to fry. It isn't. But cause and effect can be unclear with issues like this.

None of this is helping you of course. I'd give the truck and all accessories to Chuck and tell him to call you when it's running right.

You are right.The motors were overworked causing failure. However, This did not happen with the original ESC's. I didn't mean to take it out on you personally . Sorry

You are right.The motors were overworked causing failure. However, This did not happen with the original ESC's. I didn't mean to take it out on you personally . Sorry

By the way, how far are you from where they make Scaldis Noel ? That is one of my favorite beers. Limited stock over hear.

About 75 miles. Which is a long distance in Belgium, since our country is less than 200 miles end-to-end in the longest direction... I'm not much of a drinker though. Not honoring my country's rich beer heritage, lol.

I've given up on my Ruckus. Seeing as though I have gotten a full refund from Paypal, I'm going to use those funds towards my other trucks. I don't see a point in dumping money into an entry level truck that was supposed to be RTR out of the box.

I had the same issue with the Torment i bought for my son for christmas. ESC fried from the recall. Got new ESC and burnt up two motors.. I replaced with a inexpnsive goolrc brushless motor/esc combo for about $42 so far so good. This is our first RC so we are noobs. The next truck I buy will have brushless from the get go.

I've given up on my Ruckus. Seeing as though I have gotten a full refund from Paypal, I'm going to use those funds towards my other trucks. I don't see a point in dumping money into an entry level truck that was supposed to be RTR out of the box.

Monday, I'm shipping my Rukus to HH. Chuck sent me a shipping label 2-3 weeks ago and it will run out soon.. I am also shipping the 2 motors that fried when I tried using the 5000 LiPo battery. I am also sending the ESC that I removed from the other Rukus that had the same issues with the replacement ESC before we upgraded it . It's funny how the 1800 LiPo when used with the Rukus w/ upgraded motor lasts 10 minutes or so and won't work with the new 60 ESC in the other Rukus.. Oh well, Soon we will see what they say..

Well please post your findings I would be intersted. The 1800 stock lipo works with my goolrc brushless motor and goolrc 60 esc and rips pretty good...and it last longer than the stock motor...like you said 10 mins or so. I have ran a 5000mah 30c and a 5200mah 50c motor both for over 20 mins with my setup...and they still had juice left in the battery. Cells were like 3.8 when I stopped lol.

I think a 2200 would probably work with the new ESC and stock brushed motor...but who knows that could fry the motor too even if it was only 20c

Well please post your findings I would be intersted. The 1800 stock LiPo works with my goolrc brushless motor and goolrc 60 ESC and rips pretty good...and it last longer than the stock motor...like you said 10 mins or so. I have ran a 5000mah 30c and a 5200mah 50c motor both for over 20 mins with my setup...and they still had juice left in the battery. Cells were like 3.8 when I stopped lol.

I think a 2200 would probably work with the new ESC and stock brushed motor...but who knows that could fry the motor too even if it was only 20c

I was thinking of trying a 2200 or 3600 with it but I'm just going to see what they say..I will let you know. That goolrc sounds like a decent inexpensive upgrade. I am still learning about all this stuff. This is our first as well and even with the problems , they are still a blast. The best thing out of all of this is me my autistic daughter are having a lot of fun with them. Even though I haven't used mine in several weeks, she lets me use hers. Thanks

Well please post your findings I would be intersted. The 1800 stock LiPo works with my goolrc brushless motor and goolrc 60 ESC and rips pretty good...

Just wondering what kv motor you went with?
I just put a 3650 4300kv and 60a GoolRC into my Stampede (Grave Digger), 19/90 gearing, and it absolutely hauls arse.
I may have to hang onto the Ruckus and throw a GoolRC combo into it.

Wow... apparently I have missed a lot. I thought it was something I did when I let the magic smoke out of the ESC of the lipo. I quickly moved on. I stuffed a sidewinder 8th into mine. With a smaller capacity lipo (3300mah lipo vs 4500mah nimh) I have gotten longer run times than I ever did on the stock electronics. I suspect it is more than just a simple ESC snafu.

Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back