Rebuild or re-sell?

Ghost1313

Hey guys, I’m brand new to the forum so I’m hoping I can get some advice from the pros. I’ve been lurking the forums while contemplating buying my first RC car. I’ve been mainly looking at crawlers on the smaller scale but came across what I thought was a great deal / winter project.
I wound up picking up a used 1:10 4wd Torment for $25 CAD. It’s missing a number of parts (mostly drivetrain related) that I was able to get a repair list from my LHS.
My questions are:
How much is it worth investing in this car ? Out of my list below is there anything that’s worth upgrading for someone who will be casually running this car ?
Parts Needed: $250 CAD

Driveshaft
Slipper Assembly
Chassis (Upper & Lower)
Gear Cover / Kickplate
Random Screws (very few)
Center Drive
Transmitter Radio
Motor Plate
Aside from that long laundry list I would also need to choose a battery / charger.

Is this even worth investing in? My Hobby shop said that I’m still ahead of the game considering they sell it new for $400 * tax CAD. But it doesn’t seem like I’m that far ahead.

Attachments

• D6033BF3-1184-447D-8E00-B1869E723464.jpeg
    D6033BF3-1184-447D-8E00-B1869E723464.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 16
  • C4C74D56-0B3B-443E-8CF9-0074EB404715.jpeg
    C4C74D56-0B3B-443E-8CF9-0074EB404715.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 16
You'll end up spending more than that.

The manufacturer has discontinued the wheels for the torment and RPM have discontinued their bumpers for it.

Just give the torment to the boy to play with as a toy car.

You'll end up spending more than that.

The manufacturer has discontinued the wheels for the torment and RPM have discontinued their bumpers for it.

Just give the torment to the boy to play with as a toy car.

Hey loosenut - the 4x4 Torment bumpers are still up on RPMs website as available and Horizon is still selling wheels for both 2wd and 4x4 Torments. Curious as to where you heard they were discontinued? Did RPM ever make bumpers for the 2wd Torment?

Ghost 1313 - From the parts list you posted it sounds like the LHS is almost building you a new truck. You can download a manual from the Horizon Hobbies site to get part numbers and search on-line to see if you get the parts cheaper and repair it yourself. Or see if you can find a second parts truck to make one whole truck. I found one 4WD Torment carcass on Ebay with the parts you need for $70 OBO and the seller ships to Canada. Usually there are few ECX/Spectrum transmitters on ebay at the $20 USD mark - you would just need to make sure the versions matched your receiver.

On the other hand the 4wd Torment lists on Horizon's site for $199.99 USD so $400 CAD seems like a BIG mark-up given it should convert to about $265 CAD. Shop around and see if you can get a better deal on a complete truck and use your $25 CAD buy as a parts truck. The spare body alone is worth the price you paid.

199 USD for a discontinued product with discontinued parts and drying up aftermarket parts. How about don't do that. Just go buy something else that will be supported.

T-bone racing makes awesome bumpers and parts.

RPM another good company.

Hot Racing another....

After that, it is hit and miss in other brands making aftermarket ECX.

RPM emailed me saying their torment bumper is discontinued. It's still on their site though, so I dunno.

TBR only had Ruckus bumpers last time I checked and the one they sent me will not fit my torment 4x4 unless I mount it over the existing kick plate with longer screws and somehow fill the gaps caused by ridges on the stock kick plate.

I can't find anywhere that will sell me rims that wil definitely fit the torment 4x4, so I wasted money on Proline slash 4x4 rims that I'd need to dremel to make fit and eventually bought stock rims and tires that come preglued and I'll need to rip the tires off to be able to fit the proline tires.

Yes I am biased and bitter because what I think should have been simple replacements for basic worn out parts has been a total pain.

Hence my suggestion to just get something with better support.

Honestly, the 4x4 version is garbage. This is my honest opinion. They have a bad design on this model for some reason.
I have not owned one, but I own enough other brands that are 4x4 to know.

ECX other models are good. Don't give up on them quite yet.

Another thing, every brand out there has cons, there will never be that one brand you buy and forget about it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back