Reduce torque twist without increasing spring preload

lcjp

There are a lot of solutions out there for reducing the horrid torque twist of the temper, but I've not seen one that addresses the link geometry. So here's my solution, particularly to address the lifting of the front right wheel when climbing. I'm not a suspension expert but after doing some research, I was convinced increasing anti-squat would reduce this particular effect without the need of o-rings or other means of increasing spring rate, which can negatively impact articulation and ride-height. As you can see in the picture, the modification involves drilling the chassis plates to lower the upper link mounts.

One down-side is this also moves the mount forward which drops the pinion angle lower than it already was, exacerbating the drive line angle, but others on the site have shown solutions for adjusting the pinion angle.

I didn't take any measurements so I can't speak to the actual anti-squat numbers, but when climbing an incline, I can reach the limit of traction before lifting a tire, where before it would lift that tire on fairly low inclines, not to mention when climbing a rock.

I hope this helps some of you who want to improve this issue without messing with spring rates or preload.

[GALLERY=media, 408]IMG1068 by lcjp posted Apr 17, 2018 at 8:37 PM[/GALLERY]

Last edited:
There are a lot of solutions out there for reducing the horrid torque twist of the temper, but I've not seen one that addresses the link geometry. So here's my solution, particularly to address the lifting of the front right wheel when climbing. I'm not a suspension expert but after doing some research, I was convinced increasing anti-squat would reduce this particular effect without the need of o-rings or other means of increasing spring rate, which can negatively impact articulation and ride-height. As you can see in the picture, the modification involves drilling the chassis plates to lower the upper link mounts.

One down-side is this also moves the mount forward which drops the pinion angle lower than it already was, exacerbating the drive line angle, but others on the site have shown solutions for adjusting the pinion angle.

I didn't take any measurements so I can't speak to the actual anti-squat numbers, but when climbing an incline, I can reach the limit of traction before lifting a tire, where before it would lift that tire on fairly low inclines, not to mention when climbing a rock.

I hope this helps some of you who want to improve this issue without messing with spring rates or preload.

[GALLERY=media, 408]IMG1068 by lcjp posted Apr 17, 2018 at 8:37 PM[/GALLERY]
Could you lengthen the links to adjust the pinion angle?

I put bigger tires on and weighted them. I found this was necessary to do, even if I wasn't experiencing torque twist. It helped with the twist a fair bit.

Then the next problem was I couldn't turn the wheels fully because they were now bigger, so hub extenders were needed. Once I put those on I have even less torque twist. I haven't had much chance to test it out yet, but I do notice a difference already.

I put bigger tires on and weighted them. I found this was necessary to do, even if I wasn't experiencing torque twist. It helped with the twist a fair bit.

Then the next problem was I couldn't turn the wheels fully because they were now bigger, so hub extenders were needed. Once I put those on I have even less torque twist. I haven't had much chance to test it out yet, but I do notice a difference already.

Yes I could see the wider stance and additional weight helping with this issue. Does the additional scrub radius significantly affect the stock servo's ability to steer? I'm trying not to put much money into this one and I could see those hub extensions leading to a snowball effect of bigger servo etc...

Yes I could see the wider stance and additional weight helping with this issue. Does the additional scrub radius significantly affect the stock servo's ability to steer? I'm trying not to put much money into this one and I could see those hub extensions leading to a snowball effect of bigger servo etc...
I switched the Servo cause bigger tires with metal wheels and extenders was not allowing me to steer under load
The new Servo helped a lot.
I never heard of an Rc where you don’t want to go to crazy on upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back