Robinson racing pinion destroyed??

mrc82

So today I installed my hot racing steel spur with my 22 tooth RR pinion and ecx metal trans. I'm into about 35 min bash session when all of the sudden the already noisy drive train goes off. Lol low aND behold the pinion has rounded off?? Anyone else seen this before??

The mesh was bad. Either from how it was set, or there is something wrong with the chassis causing the mesh to move.

I also had some issues with some of their pinions as well . Im gonna try a traxxas one with a 48pitch on my tornmemt.

I don't believe in metal spur gears. I really don't think they are necessary. I race my Boost buggy and use only Robinson pinions. It's a high-traction surface (carpet with AKA Prime Slick tires treated with traction compound) so the conditions are pretty unforgiving. I'd recommend that you return to using a plastic spur.

I don't believe in metal spur gears. I really don't think they are necessary. I race my Boost buggy and use only Robinson pinions. It's a high-traction surface (carpet with AKA Prime Slick tires treated with traction compound) so the conditions are pretty unforgiving. I'd recommend that you return to using a plastic spur.

I will respectfully disagree. I do not race, but in every one of my offroad RCs I have destroyed plastic spur gears, and I know how to set a mesh. ;) Now I won't presume to say that there isn't a right application for plastic spur gears, I simply have not seen success with them.

when all of the sudden the already noisy drive train goes off
This to me says your gear mesh was off from the start and thus causing it to be very loud. I'd recommend buying another Robinson or even a plastic one if you want and double check your gear meshing.

I've found using an old parts bag makes for setting a great gear mesh gap.

@X Do you grease the pinion and (metal) spur in your cars? Just curious. I would think that you'd need to, but then the spur cover would need to seal well to keep out contaminants. The ECX 2WD cover doesn't.

A little lithium grease if the gears are in a "sealed" case. Otherwise when the gears are out in the open, like with my Savage's spur and CB, I leave them without grease. I've been running the same robinson racing set for my Savage that way for about 8-9 years.

Members online

No members online now.
Back