Ruckus grinding noise not moving on grass.

PabloSRT8

its been getting worst every time I use it. I can hear the gears making a loud noise and the truck won't move uphill or on grass.
I took motor cover to make sure the gears were meshing right and they are.
The big gear (that is driven by the pinion on the motor) moves with the drive shaft and looks like is working good too. The problem is where the driveshaft goes inside the differential.
The truck runs ok on wood, but if I do a wot, the gears make a loud noise and it takes some time to start going.
Anyone had this problem?
Thanks.

its been getting worst every time I use it. I can hear the gears making a loud noise and the truck won't move uphill or on grass.
I took motor cover to make sure the gears were meshing right and they are.
The big gear (that is driven by the pinion on the motor) moves with the drive shaft and looks like is working good too. The problem is where the driveshaft goes inside the differential.
The truck runs ok on wood, but if I do a wot, the gears make a loud noise and it takes some time to start going.
Anyone had this problem?
Thanks.
Sounds like you may have to dig deeper into the transmission. Could be that the differential is shot.

Sounds like you may have to dig deeper into the transmission. Could be that the differential is shot.

That was my assumption too. Likely the diff. @PabloSRT8, spin one of the drive wheels (with the ruckus off the ground). The opposite wheel should spin the other direction.

Ok, the rear end off. I disassembled the differential and gears look ok BUT!
I noticed that the axels move in and out just enough for the gears inside the differential to stop meshing.
So, if I push wheels in (causing pressure from the axels towards the differential) the trucks feels like it should.
If I pull wheels apart, the problem starts.
It's just two weeks old, so these trucks have warranties? If not, what do I need to buy? Axels? New differential box? Gears look ok...
Thanks.

Mine startet to behave like you described after only 3 runs with 100% stock setup. So i took it back to my dealer and insisted on a replacement diff since this seems to be an obvious design/material flaw which should be covered by the warranty.

Maybe you should have a look over to the Diff issue thread and try my "Grommet Mod". This helps pushing the outdrive in, and the wheels out, eliminating any in/out play of the axles assuring a nice gear mesh inside the diff.
Maybe its already to late and your outdrive gear (its the rear left, right?) is stripped too much (They will look ok even when stripped). Then you have to replace the Diff/Gear Set and make sure you either shim the diff (search youtube for "ecx 1/18 shim"), or put the grommets on right out of the box.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back