Ruckus Motor & Esc Upgrade **** Need Help Pinion Gear ****

JustRamboRex

Hello all Im new here. Okay so I finally received both the ESC and the Reedy 3300 kv BM which not sure I wired correctly but im 75% sure I did lol. Now the only issue is the pinion gear is not mating with the spur gear as seen in the photos. I need some advice thank you.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 6
Is that the same spur and pinion gears you were running before the motor swap?
Double check the can size of both the old motor vs the new motor, if the new one is larger you may be up against the diff housing.

BTW Welcome to the forums @JustRamboRex

Last edited:
Yes. I just put in an order for new pinion gears, the old one is a 19T I’m gonna see if a 20-21T will fit better.

for now, you can slot the hole in the motor mount further to allow for more adjustment.
are you sure that pinion is 48 pitch? something looks off there...

for now, you can slot the hole in the motor mount further to allow for more adjustment.
are you sure that pinion is 48 pitch? something looks off there...
Looking at the motor mounting slots, it appears that the pinion is not pushed all the way towards the spur gear. I agree that it looks as if the pitch of the pinion is wrong. Measure the diameter of the pinion about half way up the teeth. If it is 19T 48P the diameter should be 10 mm. If it is 15 mm, the pinion is 32 P and it won't work.

Welcome!
I'm not sure without seeing it closer in person, but there are pinions in 0.6 module that SEEM to match but don't. Lots of Tamiya cars use them, it's reaaally close but not perfect and it will end stripping the softer gear. Don't ask me how I know it...

Welcome!
I'm not sure without seeing it closer in person, but there are pinions in 0.6 module that SEEM to match but don't. Lots of Tamiya cars use them, it's reaaally close but not perfect and it will end stripping the softer gear. Don't ask me how I know it...
0.6 module is about 42P which will not mate with a 48P spur gear.

Watching the pic, that pinion is closer to 0.6M than 32DP. And I can tell you that I´ve stripped some spur gears -some years ago...- mismatching the pinion, and it´s close but doesn´t work for too long. If you don´t have some experience or good eye is easy to fail.

Watching the pic, that pinion is closer to 0.6M than 32DP. And I can tell you that I´ve stripped some spur gears -some years ago...- mismatching the pinion, and it´s close but doesn´t work for too long. If you don´t have some experience or good eye is easy to fail.
A 0.6M 19T pinion has a pitch circle diameter of about 11.5 mm. You can get a good approximation of the pcd by measuring the outside diameter, and the root diameter of the troughs between the teeth. Add them up and divide by 2.

Latest posts

Members online

Back