Ruckus steering issues

serbishop

I just got a practically brand new brushed 2wd Ruckus for $80 of ebay. The steering on this thing leaves a lot to be desired. Is the servo saver eliminator worth it to improve steering? I have a couple of 18kg mg servos sitting around and will probably throw one of those in too. I do not have much hope for the stock motor. After my wife was driving the truck for like 5 minutes(going like 5 mph) and temps were already around 150. Just trying to get a cheap basher together for my wife or my daughter's friend when she comes over. Also, I haven't really seen too many reviews on the 60 amp esc it now comes with. Is that esc going to last any amount of time?

Look up the zip tie mod on this site, it is a cheap way to greatly improve steering. I got the RPM SS eliminator and it works great. I hadn't looked into the zip tie mod at that time, or I would have done that.

The ESC should be ok, the stock brushed motors are known to burn out. You should check the pinion/spur gear mesh, if it's too tight it will cause issues.

I might try the zip tie mod and see how that works. I did check the gear mesh and it was a little tighter than I like, but still had issues after changing to a 16t pinion. I threw in a 3 year old Titan 12t I had lying around and will see how the temps work for that motor. I guess if worse comes to worse I have a castle system that I can throw in there, but will have to get the metal gears.

The rpm servo saver eliminator is a great mod to tighten up the steering but you’ll smoke the stock plastic geared servo pretty quick so factor in a metal geared servo also. Doesn’t need to be a $100 servo - it’s a basher.

You may want to look into a goolrc brushless motor/esc combo. I just put one in my daughter’s truck (2wd arrma granite) and it’s a nice improvement over the stock brushed setup but not so insane that it’s stripping gears or snapping axles. It was $35 shipped off of eBay - US seller. You’ll either need to purchase a programming card for $5 or $6 or step up to lipo batteries as that’s how the LVC on the esc comes programmed. ee Went with a 3930kv motor and run stock gearing.

Good luck!

For steering, I put in the hot racing aluminum Bell crank with built-in Servo saver and I love it. I also installed a $30 tactic 190 Oz Metal Gear servo and it works great. Installing that aluminum Bell crank really tightened up the steering a lot!

Does anyone have a pic of the zip tie mod to show? I can't find one. I bought the RPM ss eliminator because I hadn't seen what the zip tie mod was at the time. Had I known, I would have done the zip tie trick first to see how it worked.

Basically, you wrap a zip tie around the "servo saver" part of the steering bell-crank.

Have done the zip tie mod on our Ruckus, in fact did it to all our cars, it improved the steering for sure, but I put the RPM SSE in today and it is a much better mod for the steering. Just because we had a spare set of Torment tyres laying around, put them on to, and they were the biggest improvement to the steering.
I think its the wide tyres that cause the Ruckus steering issues. Our Amp with the Zip tie mod steers better than the Ruckus and the Torment and it doesn't have the RPM SSE. But the Torment and the Ruckus needed it
We have an OLD Circuit and it seems to steer fine without any mods

Real_sparky, have you changed out your servo? It takes a good amount of torque to get those big monster truck tires turning quickly.

The reason I mentioned the zip tie mod is that it is cheap and easy. I did the metal geared servo and ss eliminator combo, and it is definitely a major improvement over stock.

Yeah changed the servo too. Hi torque metal geared
And yes i totally agree zip tie mod is better than stock. SSE is better than Zip tie mod, and the Torment tyres are better again

Sounds like for around $10 the RPM SSE will be worth it. I will get that and throw in a high torque MG servo. I also have a set of Badlands not being used and might try those on it after.

The only other thing I will do to this now is get a battery strap since the stock one doesn't let me use any of my batteries except the stock one.

The only other thing I will do to this now is get a battery strap since the stock one doesn't let me use any of my batteries except the stock one.
that's easy fix, either back the screws out of the battery strap wing nuts until your batteries will fit under it, or replace the screws with m3 screws and a Nyloc nut, just on the there loosely, then wind the wing nut on to your desired height.

That will work for the Lipo, but for her I will use some 7 cell NiMH hump packs. The stock lipo dumps after like 3 mins and hard to do too much testing with it. Finally, I soldered up an adapter since this is the 1st time using the EC3 connectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back