Smoked motor

ptpbarry

Hey all. New here. Just picked up a used Torment 2wd. Just got back into the hobby after a couple decades off. I had the truck running on a 2s battery and ran fine for the last month or so. Picked up some new 2s batteries (DXF 6500mAh, 100c) and smoked the motor first run today. Only difference with the mAh and the c rating. The way I understood it was the c rating was just how much current the car could draw for bursts and the higher the better? I am hesitant to use these batteries in my other cars now. Is this just too much battery for the car? Ive also got a Arrma Granite Mega I was planning on running them on as well. Maybe I shouldn't? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If your running a brushed motor, it’s common they just burn up when under too much load (going through tall grass) Or going up hills, or it just could have been time to replace it. Brushed motors wear out over time, brushless do not.

I had bought a brand new 15T brushed motor and it lasted about 15 minutes of use because I had a big pinion gear and was running it through the grass in my back yard and worked it too hard.

now I run brushless motors in everything, they are almost maintenance free and a have ton of power.

The extra runtime from the 6500mah probably did it for that motor. It wouldn’t hurt to look for a 550 can motor as an upgrade. The titan 12 is a good motor in my opinion and they last a long time as long as their clean but they are still a brushed motor. Brushless is always and option but can be more expensive initially.

Im not shy for spending a couple bucks as the kid seems genuinely interested in both driving and fixing them. So am I able to replace with a brushless motor with the stock ESC, or am I going to have to replace that as well? Thanks for the help.

You would have to get a compatible brushless ESC too, you can find combos for less usually. I was able to buy a brushless combo for around $100 from my local hobby store.

I shop of horizon hobby and my local store can order everything directly from them at the same
Cost as on the website.

You would have to get a compatible brushless ESC too, you can find combos for less usually. I was able to buy a brushless combo for around $100 from my local hobby store.

I shop of horizon hobby and my local store can order everything directly from them at the same
Cost as on the website.
Thanks for the quick reply. Any recommendations for a motor? I don't need anything that was much faster than the stock one, as being 2wd it was enough for the kid to try and control it already on anything other than pavement.

With Brushless motors they are rated in KV, the lower the number the less speed and more torque it makes. If you want to to keep the speeds down you can also change the pinion gear to a smaller one after you put in the brushless motor.

2800-3300 KV is a good place to start.

to explain the KV a little further, a 3000KV motor spins at 3,000 rpm per volt. If your running 7.4 volts it’s 22,200 RPM.

onyx makes two kits, a 3000kv and 4000kv. Both are on sale now.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-combo-3000kv-3.5mm-bullet-ec3/ONXS0500.html

Thank you very much. One more question. Do you feel I will have the same issues running those batteries on the Arrma Granite Mega or will I be smoking motors in it as well?

No problem I’m happy to help, What will smoke your motor is running the wrong gearing for extended periods of time. Or driving through tall grass, snow, and mud. Anything that generates excessive heat will kill your motor fast. It would be good to buy part # ECX1074 it comes with 5 different pinion gears, 17-21 tooth gears.

I would recommend 17-19 are for gravel and off-road, and 20-21 are for pavement and hard surfaces. Team Losi racing makes 32T for speed runs but is for pavement only, it’s part # is TLR332032.

No problem I’m happy to help, What will smoke your motor is running the wrong gearing for extended periods of time. Or driving through tall grass, snow, and mud. Anything that generates excessive heat will kill your motor fast. It would be good to buy part # ECX1074 it comes with 5 different pinion gears, 17-21 tooth gears.

I would recommend 17-19 are for gravel and off-road, and 20-21 are for pavement and hard surfaces. Team Losi racing makes 32T for speed runs but is for pavement only, it’s part # is TLR332032.
The ecx never really goes through grass as it doesn't do that well to begin with in grass. I think it smoked cus my kid just basically holds the throttle wide open for most of the run lol. And then we did a couple speed runs on the street. Im guessing it was the original motor and it was just its time.

When you asked about the granite mega is it the 4x4 or 2wd? The 4x4 tends to have issues with the brushed motor no matter what battery is run, they do much better brushless. I have no experience with the 2wd granite because I got in the arrma game only 2 years ago and it was long gone by then.

When you asked about the granite mega is it the 4x4 or 2wd? The 4x4 tends to have issues with the brushed motor no matter what battery is run, they do much better brushless. I have no experience with the 2wd granite because I got in the arrma game only 2 years ago and it was long gone by then.
Its the 4x4. I guess we will see how it goes. If it starts smoking motors as well I guess both will get the upgrade.

Barry .. What motor did you go with? Did you change the esc. too? How did it work out for you? 12storment thank you too for contributing; I’m a huge grass runner and here in Pa ... hardly any flat spot .. so hills and grass .. lots of it! Concerning gear change , 17-19? If choosing to run 17; any compromise to operations? Would that be best then for what I’m doing... ? Any other recommendations to build it bomb proof for the kids.. I’m also running 2s... no katchup for my fried motors thanks. I’ve got the ruckus and torment. Looking to upgrade 3 trucks ASA I figure out what will be best choice .. thanks to all those who help here.. in advance.

Hey all. New here. Just picked up a used Torment 2wd. Just got back into the hobby after a couple decades off. I had the truck running on a 2s battery and ran fine for the last month or so. Picked up some new 2s batteries (DXF 6500mAh, 100c) and smoked the motor first run today. Only difference with the mAh and the c rating. The way I understood it was the c rating was just how much current the car could draw for bursts and the higher the better? I am hesitant to use these batteries in my other cars now. Is this just too much battery for the car? Ive also got a Arrma Granite Mega I was planning on running them on as well. Maybe I shouldn't? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Very likely you overheated the motor and killed it. The combination of long run ti,e and more weight from the larger battery put a lot more stress on the motor.

What is your motor cleaning and mainte regime?

I’m trying to dial in off some batteries too...
using traxxas 7600 25c, 2s lipos .::
I’m trying to keep it cool...
Not wanting to blow my gears out or change them all to metal.. ... !!
So ... what motor and esc combo is going to work best for the batteries??
go 3000kv... or 3600...
Néw esc really needed??
if so does the programmable function best for motor longevity..( keeping it Coool...! )
reduce pinion gear size.. yes ..then tho how is the additional torque function going to effect the rest?? Still studying!!!

I’m trying to dial in off some batteries too...
using traxxas 7600 25c, 2s lipos .::
I’m trying to keep it cool...
Not wanting to blow my gears out or change them all to metal.. ... !!
So ... what motor and esc combo is going to work best for the batteries??
go 3000kv... or 3600...
Néw esc really needed??
if so does the programmable function best for motor longevity..( keeping it Coool...! )
reduce pinion gear size.. yes ..then tho how is the additional torque function going to effect the rest?? Still studying!!!
That is a huge battery and I think it’s too heavy. I’d go with a 5000 mAh to 6000 mAh 50-60C. I am liking Zeee batteries from Amazon lately. Great batteries and a good price.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back