So much for water/dust resistant ECU

HIX

The power switch on one of the MTs has been acting funny for a week or so. Started after hitting some silty dirt. Flipping the power switch just causes the servo to twitch now. Before I could get it to power up by flipping it back and forth a bunch of times. After a bit the red light would flicker then a couple more and it would power up fully. Turns out the sticker on the unit covers a hole and it came unstuck and allowed dirt in.

FYI for those that are stock to tape it down firmly

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 13
Yup, always bad to allow foreign matter into electronics....

Call up Horizon, if you play your cards right they will likely replace it.

The plastic case is not what makes it water"proof" they inject the case with silicone and don't do a very good job at covering the whole thing. Water comes right in by the wires.

aH9zbqD.jpg

If you want to actually waterproof your electronics look up silicone conformal coating. And be careful handling it, it contains nasty stuff. I coat all of my rc electronics in the stuff and run them under water with no problems.

I use conformal coating at work all the time, I know what it is. ;) Truth be told though, it is never perfect and sometimes causes alot of issues. Any defect in the coating causes an entry, then the moisture becomes encapsulated next to the components causing corrosion...... and possibly shorting.

I was mostly pointing out that the plastic case isn't sealed and if they get a new esc and tape the sticker that is not going to protect it.

I think silicone conformal coating is better than doing nothing, or using things like plastidip or liquid tape as some do. You are right it needs applied correctly and thoroughly. I use a UV light because it has a dye so you can see it to make sure of full coverage. Have not had any issues running wet and I've done all of my RCs electronics and even an fpv camera.

I've had similar problems wit both the receiver and the power button. Luckily so far it's always solved itself when I took it apart, dried it out completely and reassembled. I was shocked how much crap gets in there, it was basically full of mud.

Eh, it's jacked. Plug in a battery and turn it on and it for sure is shorting somewhere. All the wires get hot. Too bad.

Is it the same ESC that comes stock? Otherwise you will not be able to bind the TX to it. The stock unit is an ESC/RX combo unit, which is a bit of a bummer because the ESC will fry and then you have to either
a) buy the same crappy combo unit again,
b) buy whatever ESC you like and also get ECX' overpriced separate RX unit that will work with your TX (it's like $30...),
c) buy whatever ESC you like + a new radio system (you can find one of similar quality to the stock radio for around $25 on aliexpress or ebay, e.g. the Austar AX5).

They are sending me a new stock one. I am going to run that and a 12t 550 till I decide if I want to keep the slash vxl.

Members online

Back