Spline wheel ruined

Mashed all 3 87t plastic spline wheels on all 3 amps 1x db 2 x mt.. running all 3 amps on Tornado subc 5000 1.2v NI-MH rather than the stock Dynamite speedpack 1800 with metal pinion gear.. to much ? Cars are bashed in/on skateparks, pump tracks and carparks never long grass or deep sand.. when jumping fingers off the trigger whilst in the air/landing. Slipper clutch adjusted according to terrain.. plus one mt is so much faster than the other despite both being stock and running same 5000 battery.. will be upgrading to metal gears and spline wheel asap.
Any thoughts/advice welcome... thanks.

By "wheels" I assume you mean spur gear. Should have no issues with a plastic gear. I run 2s and have not damaged it yet. I'm going to guess one of two things are going on.

1. Poor mesh of spur to pinion gear.
2. You are not letting go of the throttle before you land jumps, or generally doing things to shock the drive train.

By "wheels" I assume you mean spur gear. Should have no issues with a plastic gear. I run 2s and have not damaged it yet. I'm going to guess one of two things are going on.

1. Poor mesh of spur to pinion gear.
2. You are not letting go of the throttle before you land jumps, or generally doing things to shock the drive train.

Poor mesh of spur to pinion.. aligninment of teeth to teeth ?
Things that shock the drive train ? Both my boys rag the hell out of all 3 amps.. They tend to go full throttle then turn hard whilst putting the cars in reverse to throw big roosters or spinning them in tight 180's using the same method..

Gear mesh is the way the spur gear and pinion makes contact. Too tight, and you will strain the motor and it will run hot. Too loose and you run the risk of stripping the plastic spur gear. There are a few ways to set them. A quick YouTube search will set you on your way. But things don't stop there. Driving style can also effect the life of your gears. A hard landing can make the motor shift or make the chassis flex enough to cause miss-alignment, so checking them often is important.

If you do find that you set them correctly and still strip the spur, you could move from 48 pitch to 32 pitch gears. I'm going that route myself and will post a few pics when I receive my parts.

Gear mesh is the way the spur gear and pinion makes contact. Too tight, and you will strain the motor and it will run hot. Too loose and you run the risk of stripping the plastic spur gear. There are a few ways to set them. A quick YouTube search will set you on your way. But things don't stop there. Driving style can also effect the life of your gears. A hard landing can make the motor shift or make the chassis flex enough to cause miss-alignment, so checking them often is important.

If you do find that you set them correctly and still strip the spur, you could move from 48 pitch to 32 pitch gears. I'm going that route myself and will post a few pics when I receive my parts.
Thanks.. appreciated..

You could switch to a 32P spur gear and pinion instead of the 48P which is stock. The number stands for the pitch, or the distance between teeth. Lower pitch = bigger, sturdier teeth which are much harder to strip (and more tolerant to mesh).

Members online

No members online now.
Back