Steel Idler Gear for 2wd Torment

BobbyBlank

Anyone know where to find a steel idler gear for a 2wd Torment? I found a link for one from Robinson Racing, but as my luck would have it - discontinued.

You can get the all metal gear transmission set for 30 bucks. Part number ecx9001.

I went that route a few months ago, but wore out the idler gear alone. I'm guessing too tight on the slipper, or too much attempting to do crazy recoveries from even crazier spinouts with stock tires. Plus, someone backed over it a few driveways down last week. Whatever the cause was, everything else seems intact. I grabbed a new motor and transmission housing just in case. Everything seemed fine until it started grinding yesterday, so I took it apart and the idler gear was shredded. Funny thing, the grease still felt slick and no metal shavings were found. I hate to shuck out 30 bucks on an entire gear set if all I need is a single idler gear. However, if the full set is all that's available - I guess I'll be forced to take that route. I just sank a boatload of money in this thing to make it as bulletproof as possible, so saving a few bucks on repairs would be nice right about now. Wasn't exactly expecting to put my 1:10 torment head-to-head against a 1:1 SUV when bulletproofing. Thanks for the suggestion!

If possible, count the teeth and measure the inside hole diameter and the width. Maybe a gear from another transmission like an axial might fit. They both are 48p. Just last week I regreased my axial wraith transmission, and noticed the gears looked similar. Now I wish I compared them to my old plastic ecx gears. Maybe if I get some time tomorrow evening I can open it up again and see if it matches. Those gears I know I've seen for sale individually before. There's also traxxas
2wd and team associated sc10 idler gears to compare to, probably more too.

Last edited:
Yeah that's identical to the one in the ecx. Just had them both out to compare. Even swapped them both to make sure it works. Broke my camera lens on my phone and it won't focus, so I couldn't take a pic

I’ve been looking for a solution to the idler gear problem for a while now.

Little did I know that my slipper clutch would lock up when it got warm and cooled off again. Got new team associated pads and haven’t had any problems since.

This may be asking too much, but any idea where to get a differential and top gear made of steel? Robinson makes the compatible idler gear in steel, but I'd like to have everything in there made of similar materials.

I feel like ecx gears are hit and miss. But a more quality idler gear I’ve noticed helps the best.

The ecx transmission has a weird setup too because the idler gear is held in my a big post (doesn’t make any sense but I don’t have any pics right now) and possibly flexes on big hits and causes the idler to skip teeth and crack them off. On my gears I never shredded them, just broke off one tooth. And of the three times I did it the one tooth that broke always broke halfway across on one side of the truck.

December 2019 and I got my ecx 2wd 15t brushed torment last month and ashtray already burned out the dynamite 15t so replaced with rc4wd 20T but 2 runs after both my trans gears shredded and melted after a 35/40 min run at the skatepark
my hobby store is big into axial so instantly he had the gear in plastic that the 2 bearings go into . But he also has easy access to the metal variant and the metal idler gear for 5 bucks each Canadian, so I have those on order
I believe it's axial #3094 but I'll be going in again soon so I'll double check that number
I was going to get the 30 dollar metal gear set but it's More like 50 here in Canada plus 30 shipping
So if I could get a separate idler in metal along with the gear the bearings go in I will definitely jump on it because my diff is still perfect,
I'm happy there still is options out there for the torment/ruckus

Correction it's the 48p 20t drive gear
AX30394 their site if anyone was wondering that's the gear I have on order from my shop along with the metal AX80010 gear set
Although the gear set in plastic which I bought yesterday comes with a crawler gear I have no need for he actually split the package for me and charged me 4.50 cad for the gear I required

Latest posts

Members online

Back